Azure damselfish

Mattg023

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good choice for a 75g mixed reef? In between two or three of these or Blue green chromis, but I know the chromis will kill each other off..

sixline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you didn't ask, but I've got a set of 5 pajama cardinals in my 100g and they may fit what you're looking for. I like them because they fill the upper tank and give a sense of motion. I've had them for three years. They used to school, but now they're starting to breed so there are bits of aggression, but nothing too bad. I think with five of them, it spreads their attention around a bit.

Sailingeric

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one with 4 other different damsels, it is fine and no trouble. I did have a jewel damsel, very pretty but turned into a very aggressive fish

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Azures are less likely to kill each other off, are more attractive and don’t carry uronema. Choice seems like a no brainer LOL. I’ve had a stable group for awhile .... but I have a huge tank.

OP
OP
M

Mattg023

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Azures are less likely to kill each other off, are more attractive and don’t carry uronema. Choice seems like a no brainer LOL. I’ve had a stable group for awhile .... but I have a huge tank.

Agreed. I think I’d definitely go with the azure. Do you think they would be fine as some of the first fish in the tank? I plan on adding a pair of clowns first. And then these maybe. Or should I make them one of the last additions? I know damsels can be territorial.

Willow59

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. I think I’d definitely go with the azure. Do you think they would be fine as some of the first fish in the tank? I plan on adding a pair of clowns first. And then these maybe. Or should I make them one of the last additions? I know damsels can be territorial.
I’m newer to saltwater as well (about 6 months), but most of what I’ve read/watched/heard recommends adding damsels last if you’re going to have them- clowns typically being an exception to that recommendation.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good choice for a 75g mixed reef? In between two or three of these or Blue green chromis, but I know the chromis will kill each other off..
Not in a group of 5 or more. The agression is spread out

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two in my tank and they are a pretty fish but act much like any other damsel.. Maybe a little less aggressive than most but still little jerks ;) I'm not much of a fish guy, just want some movement and the extra nutrients that come with them.

Correct photo this time ;Facepalm

FD6FAF90-E9D2-47C8-AF33-9E6B65F21C6E.png

Last edited:

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pictures above are talbots, not azures. Confused?

I have always found azures to be chickens. Sure they will chase off, but swim away first. I have 6 currently and most live around each other, but do not swim next to each other. Near, but not too close.

Now my cardinals I have had always picked each other down. Threadfins began with 10, after a year had three. Those stayed with me almost 9-10 years though. My dot-dash I had two pairs and did fine for a while, then lost one pair. My bangaii were still a group of 5 for about 6 months before, well, we don't speak of it.

jpbeen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would only add as the last fish to the tank as they are very territorial. Give the other fish a chance to develop their territory.

fresco194

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got an Azure after tons of research that they are the least aggressive of the damsels. While that may be true, he's still a jerk sometimes to my possum wrasse, fire fish and royal gramma until the later got fed up and now doesn't let the damsel anywhere near him. The azure and gramma go at it sometimes until one of the clown fish comes out of nowhere and sets them both straight.

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pictures above are talbots, not azures. Confused?

I have always found azures to be chickens. Sure they will chase off, but swim away first. I have 6 currently and most live around each other, but do not swim next to each other. Near, but not too close.

Now my cardinals I have had always picked each other down. Threadfins began with 10, after a year had three. Those stayed with me almost 9-10 years though. My dot-dash I had two pairs and did fine for a while, then lost one pair. My bangaii were still a group of 5 for about 6 months before, well, we don't speak of it.

Thanks had a brain fart ;Hilarious Same description as above, just different name and picture ;) My azures tend to hang out together on one side of tank but will chase talbots and dart at my hand when Im doing tank maintenance... I love their colors!

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 141 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back