B.A.Prince Planet 220g

BAPrince

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My name is Patrick. Figured I needed to start a build thread since this project just got REAL!! Just placed my order for a Planet Aquariums 220g (66x30x24) last week! I kept fresh and saltwater FOWLR tanks in my youth, but decided to try my hand at reefing about a year ago. A couple of months of research, and I setup my first reef tank (Nuvo 20 AIO) in March. I really thought I was ready for my big tank then, and then COVID slowed everything down. And, honestly, I'm glad it did.... I learned so much in the last 6 months... and also learned how much I still have to learn.

Let's start off with an easier question for the group. I am going to run a Modular Marine overflow on this tank. I need to place the order for it this week, so I can have it shipped to Planet. I'm thinking with 3-5x turnover, I should be flowing about 800-1,200gph through the sump. Everything I've read says oversize the overflow, so I was thinking their 2400 model. They also have a 3000 and 3600, and the ONLY difference between them is the length of the weir (24" 30" and 36" respectively). Is there any benefit to having a GIGANTIC weir? Can the weir be TOO BIG? MM said the 2400 would be great for this tank, but I thought I'd check here with the group before I pull the trigger. Thoughts?

OP
OP
BAPrince

BAPrince

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been working on plumbing plans. I've been working on them (mostly in my head), scouring for pictures, etc for a long time. Recently ran into the build thread of @Rob.bucek, who is doing some awesome work, and also has so many similarities to my build (tank size is close, MM overflow, Bashsea sump). I drew the attached plumbing schematic yesterday (forgive my artwork), and placed a partial order of plumbing parts this morning. Rob posted video of his freshly finished plumbing this afternoon, and I already added more stuff to the cart! Pipe under the tank will NOT run sloped as drawn (couldn't figure out how else to draw it), but instead horizontal under the stand. Any suggestions are WELCOME!!
IMG_20200916_165841.jpg

OP
OP
BAPrince

BAPrince

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just thought I'd throw up a picture of the mixing station I built a few months ago. It's a little overkill for the two AIO tanks I'm running now, but I knew the big tank was coming so I tried to future-proof it. I actually enjoy the plumbing work!
IMG_20200703_110445.jpg

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Modular Marine overflow ordered (to be shipped directly to Planet for sizing). VERY exciting!
Which one did you go with? Been so many discussions about lower turn over being adequate and the focus being flow inside the DT. I fairly subscribe to this but there's always multiple ways to get things done. I think the advantage to a wider weir is that it's skims a larger surface area of the water. In the end there's gate valves, DC pumps and janky plumbing that can be used to achieve what you're after. I totally oversized my flow for wider skim and I'll hoping to use a little more aggressive turn over to supplement flow in the tank. Still gonna have power heads, just hoping to minimize the need for them. This is all theory of course. We'll see what happens.

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just thought I'd throw up a picture of the mixing station I built a few months ago. It's a little overkill for the two AIO tanks I'm running now, but I knew the big tank was coming so I tried to future-proof it. I actually enjoy the plumbing work!
IMG_20200703_110445.jpg
Haha love it! If I was to redo minded I would do the discharge on either end like you did. It requires a platform but in the end I don't think that's so bad. I see you used a little varios pump like I did. Thing really works like a champ don't it?

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been working on plumbing plans. I've been working on them (mostly in my head), scouring for pictures, etc for a long time. Recently ran into the build thread of @Rob.bucek, who is doing some awesome work, and also has so many similarities to my build (tank size is close, MM overflow, Bashsea sump). I drew the attached plumbing schematic yesterday (forgive my artwork), and placed a partial order of plumbing parts this morning. Rob posted video of his freshly finished plumbing this afternoon, and I already added more stuff to the cart! Pipe under the tank will NOT run sloped as drawn (couldn't figure out how else to draw it), but instead horizontal under the stand. Any suggestions are WELCOME!!
IMG_20200916_165841.jpg

Ahhhg welcome to the wonderful world of aquarium plumbing, hope you don’t mind making multiple orders for those random a** fittings you always forget. Plumbing rule #1 - Make sure you order a few extras of each fitting. You will be greatful you did!

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahhhg welcome to the wonderful world of aquarium plumbing, hope you don’t mind making multiple orders for those random a** fittings you always forget. Plumbing rule #1 - Make sure you order a few extras of each fitting. You will be greatful you did!
Agreed, by the time I'm done I will be able to compete with Ace Hardware out of my basement.

OP
OP
BAPrince

BAPrince

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which one did you go with? Been so many discussions about lower turn over being adequate and the focus being flow inside the DT. I fairly subscribe to this but there's always multiple ways to get things done. I think the advantage to a wider weir is that it's skims a larger surface area of the water. In the end there's gate valves, DC pumps and janky plumbing that can be used to achieve what you're after. I totally oversized my flow for wider skim and I'll hoping to use a little more aggressive turn over to supplement flow in the tank. Still gonna have power heads, just hoping to minimize the need for them. This is all theory of course. We'll see what happens.
I went with the 2400. It hasn't shipped yet, so maybe there's time to change my mind?! I'm always a fan of overbuilding, and yet MM said the 2400 would be great for a 220g. These are the choices that haunt me.

OP
OP
BAPrince

BAPrince

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha love it! If I was to redo minded I would do the discharge on either end like you did. It requires a platform but in the end I don't think that's so bad. I see you used a little varios pump like I did. Thing really works like a champ don't it?
The VarioS works GREAT! Probably overkill for a mixing station, but I plan on running VarioS as return pumps, so it will serve as an emergency backup. And, I HIGHLY recommend the discharge valves... I use them frequently for a bucket of water!

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with the 2400. It hasn't shipped yet, so maybe there's time to change my mind?! I'm always a fan of overbuilding, and yet MM said the 2400 would be great for a 220g. These are the choices that haunt me.
Buyers remorse with this hobby when jumping in. After a while you get to a stage coined by Pink Floyd, comfortably numb. Btw I'm not trying to change your mind lol. I think it's more proportional to the length of your tank. You're is a bit shorter so I think you're golden.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The only real advantage is surface skimming because all of those will handle the flow you want, at 2 feet I'd say you're probably safe there regardless, I wouldn't worry about it :) Plus the only real upscale in surface skimming would be stepping up to the 36" which would be just massive on your tank I think... Don’t sweat the little stuff as you've got a million decisions ahead of you still

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The VarioS works GREAT! Probably overkill for a mixing station, but I plan on running VarioS as return pumps, so it will serve as an emergency backup. And, I HIGHLY recommend the discharge valves... I use them frequently for a bucket of water!
Agreed, I have one midway up my closed loop return. I like yours better.

OP
OP
BAPrince

BAPrince

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK... here is the next challenge. Please find below a mock-up of the tank. Obviously, I'll have a contractor in my house over the next few weeks. The double, French doors will be replaced with a single door as noted with the blue tape. Just behind that wall is the laundry room. I already have permission from the boss (wife) to leave an opening in the wall, behind the tank, so that I can access the sump, etc. The question is... HOW BIG should the opening be? I'm currently leaning towards almost as big as the tank/stand combo? I might need to install some type of curtain on the laundry room side to keep light from spilling out from around the tank when viewed from the front? But full access to the back would be convenient and cool to look at?! Also, the door behind the shelving unit will be eliminated... a floor drain will be installed along with a utility sink (just about where the RODI unit is now), and cabinets for storage. ALL suggestions are welcome!!
IMG_20200921_154729.jpg
IMG_20200921_154736.jpg
IMG_20200921_154758.jpg
IMG_20200921_154804.jpg

OP
OP
BAPrince

BAPrince

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK... lighting choices has me a MESS!! I had convinced myself that it would be a T5/Kessil hybrid (still might be?). The new Platinum Standard of ReefBrite XHO/Kessil is curious, for sure! How do I pick? I'm less concerned about price, and more concerned about it being as "right" as possible. In the last lighting episode of BRStv, it was mentioned that the T5/Kessil combo would be too much PAR for a mixed reef (that's what I think I heard), unless the T5's could be dimmed, which the 60" Aquatic Life fixtures cannot. WHAT DO I DO?!

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK... lighting choices has me a MESS!! I had convinced myself that it would be a T5/Kessil hybrid (still might be?). The new Platinum Standard of ReefBrite XHO/Kessil is curious, for sure! How do I pick? I'm less concerned about price, and more concerned about it being as "right" as possible. In the last lighting episode of BRStv, it was mentioned that the T5/Kessil combo would be too much PAR for a mixed reef (that's what I think I heard), unless the T5's could be dimmed, which the 60" Aquatic Life fixtures cannot. WHAT DO I DO?!
whichever LED solution you go for you can tune the intensity and thus the PAR to whatever you are trying to achieve without compromising spectrum I'd think? Especially with the Kessils, that's their thing, the logic for spectrum is always there, you just turn them up or down to suit your needs. Sucks the T5's can't be dimmed at 60" but what can you do? You can likely be successful with a variety of things. Don't over think it trying to follow literally everything BRS does. I love those guys, they share so much great info it's amazing. There is no 'one' solution for everyone though.

OP
OP
BAPrince

BAPrince

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any last minute thoughts/suggestions/comments before I sign these CAD drawings to make the tank purchase official?

Attachments

• Planet CAD Stand 092820.pdf
    377.7 KB · Views: 98
  • Planet CAD Tank 092820.pdf
    483.4 KB · Views: 93

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like it, nice touch with the gap in the eurobrace for your weir. Good internal stand dimensions. You sure you want plywood decks? Can they do PVC?

OP
OP
BAPrince

BAPrince

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like it, nice touch with the gap in the eurobrace for your weir. Good internal stand dimensions. You sure you want plywood decks? Can they do PVC?
I thought the weir gap was nice too.... not my idea, it was just how they drew it up, and I appreciated them bringing their expertise to that design detail.

Geesh... I did even get a choice on the deck... that's just how the CAD drawing came to me. Would you think NO plywood but instead something else (PVC?).... or add something on top of the plywood?

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought the weir gap was nice too.... not my idea, it was just how they drew it up, and I appreciated them bringing their expertise to that design detail.

Geesh... I did even get a choice on the deck... that's just how the CAD drawing came to me. Would you think NO plywood but instead something else (PVC?).... or add something on top of the plywood?
I mean it's not like it's mandatory, plenty of wood out there but you see the wear on it over time via the salt that inevitably gets on it. Either way you go it won't be bad. What are your plans for skinning the stand?

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 162 61.4%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 69 26.1%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 91 34.5%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 46 17.4%
  • Other

Votes: 69 26.1%
Back