Baby bamboo shark

jordangranderath

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, I have a baby bamboo shark that will be a week old tomorrow, I got him to eat tonight, while I have tried ghost shrimp for the past 4 days today he took to the frozen shrimp, I was beyond excited that he ate for me but I have two question.
1. is it normal for them to sit after they eat? It has been an hour and he has not moved from that spot ( I am assuming he’s digesting and processing his first meal I just want to make sure)
2. I followed all of the instructions and gave him a good runway of sand I know there belly’s are soft and need the sand, my concern is that he only stayed on his sand for the first day, and now he won’t leave my live rock alone. I don’t know if this is ok? Or if he can potentially hurt himself and what I should do to make sure he stays healthy.
I should also mention he’s in a 75 gal, it was recommended until he forms good eating habits so he has less of a chance to run away but he still has plenty of space to hide during the day , this tank has been set up and well established for 2 years, and then he will go into my 200 gal.
Thank you in advance.

Jsams13241

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get pretty tired and lazy after a filling meal as well! Since this is his first full tummy he is most likely just digesting/processing. Wouldn’t give it to much thought they can be pretty solitary once they find a place they enjoy being they will just hang around that area nothing to worry about imo. Sand is helpful compared to other substrates as it’s much easier on there skin to help avoid searches leading to infections. By the way you said run way is the tank bare bottom? With just a strip of sand? As far as the rock goes not my specialty but I know the main concern is damaging the skin I would say just monitor for a few days and pay attention to if he is causing damage to his self or if he is just hanging around and exploring.

OP
OP
J

jordangranderath

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get pretty tired and lazy after a filling meal as well! Since this is his first full tummy he is most likely just digesting/processing. Wouldn’t give it to much thought they can be pretty solitary once they find a place they enjoy being they will just hang around that area nothing to worry about imo. Sand is helpful compared to other substrates as it’s much easier on there skin to help avoid searches leading to infections. By the way you said run way is the tank bare bottom? With just a strip of sand? As far as the rock goes not my specialty but I know the main concern is damaging the skin I would say just monitor for a few days and pay attention to if he is causing damage to his self or if he is just hanging around and exploring.
Thank you for responding! I feel better about him not moving after the meal, sand is at the whole bottom of my tank every inch is covered, sorry I should have probably been more clear on that! It’s just some of it has live rock, his area is of just sand is way bigger than him and wraps around my tank and also had a huge opening in the middle, but the live rock is on some areas of the sand and when I moved the rock that I had in the sand I moved it all to a corner to get it out of his way, but that’s where he likes to be, os all over the rocks haha, and he’s digging under them and making tunnels which I know is normal for them to do, I just don’t know if he’s spending to much time in the rocks but I will watch for sure! Thank you again!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back