Baby Cultured Squamosa Question

Acroporaguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

I got a baby blue cultured squamosa from Indonesia a couple of weeks ago. It has been scooting around the tile, and just recently, keeps tipping itself backwards. Ideally I'd have it in sand, but my tank is bare bottom. Should I leave it alone, or is it detrimental for a squamosa to be placed in this position? Every time I try and tip it back forward it pushes itself backwards again lol. I have 3 other clams in my tank (they have been with me for a long time), so the environment is more than suitable to house them. The squamosa is incredibly small, I shouldn't have purchased it at this size, but here we are :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Thanks.
860A451A-EE56-43E9-85E5-D160062CE442.JPG IMG_6924.JPG

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
It needs to go on a rock that’s cradle shaped to support it
Look up clam cradle for reef tank
You can make your own or purchase

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Squammie is not not a tiny baby, but still small (3") and lately it decided it hated the cradle and threw itself off of it. It is currently also in a bare bottom as it is my grow out tank. Seems happier there on the bottom. It moves around a bit. I guess they will find a place. I would just leave it on the bottom.

OP
OP
Acroporaguy

Acroporaguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not had a clam do this like the squammie. Crazy clam.
Haha yeah my other clams stay put just fine, but this little guy is always doing something... I also noticed it doesn't lay strong byssal threads like a crocea etc., It has a very weak attachment... I'm thinking the clam could right itself on it's own?

youcallmenny1

The Lobster
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe. My squammies in the past would never attach to anything. They just get big and sit in the sand.
Same. Mine is like 14" at this point and just hulks on the sandbed without it's foot down. It did use it more when it was younger though. One day it just gave up.

OP
OP
Acroporaguy

Acroporaguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe. My squammies in the past would never attach to anything. They just get big and sit in the sand.
Interesting. So you think it shouldn't be detrimental if my clam sits without its foot down? Aside from it potentially getting knocked on its side I guess...

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My biggest was about 12" and I had a red footed conch eat it. I was very displeased. It also ate a derasa before I realized what did it. Darn thing went to the sump and surprise it died. No clams to eat.

Here was it months before it passed:

Attachments

• front 210 gorg squam.JPG
    front 210 gorg squam.JPG
    108.5 KB · Views: 94

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not think detrimental. I tried to keep my giga with foot down and the darn thing constantly flipped itself on the other side. It is still great and growing. My hippopus same thing. I think as it gets bigger, it will have no choice. Just a weight thing.

OP
OP
Acroporaguy

Acroporaguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not think detrimental. I tried to keep my giga with foot down and the darn thing constantly flipped itself on the other side. It is still great and growing. My hippopus same thing. I think as it gets bigger, it will have no choice. Just a weight thing.
Thanks for the insight, I really appreciate it! I will keep this thread updated as the clam grows (hopefully!).

OP
OP
Acroporaguy

Acroporaguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered a clam hammock a day after creating this thread, but haven't bothered using it as the squamosa appears to have attached to the tile. Honestly I don't think the hammock would have helped much, as the clam is just too small. Here's an updated shot.

Attachments

• IMG_7013.JPG
    IMG_7013.JPG
    153.2 KB · Views: 79

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it’s doing okay. My mimosa wouldn’t have done well in a clam hammock, it couldn’t open all the way. It’s been happy on a flat round which I had to glue onto a larger square tile since it’s put on weight. Flats seem to work better.

OP
OP
Acroporaguy

Acroporaguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really want a blue squammie. Never really see them up much.
I see them every so often here in Canada. The batch my LFS got were extremely small, so they must be culturing them at this point! Hopefully they become more readily available because of this.

Steve and his Animals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As you probably know, Tridacnids have a lot less in terms of surface area on their mantle to photosynthesize. It's probably just trying to angle itself for optimal light exposure. As it gets bigger it shouldn't need to do so.

That being said, clams that small practically need extra feedings to survive long term, as their mantle being that small sometimes isn't enough surface area for photosynthesis to sustain them alone. Only species I noticed this isn't much of an issue with are the croceas, maybe because of their smaller overall size.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back