Baby tang in 29gal?

desagon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my 5 minutes of searching google, I can conclude that I found no evidence of anyone suggesting a minimum tank size of 29 gallons for a blue tang. Except for uncle99... He must be aquaman because he knows something we all dont.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my 5 minutes of searching google, I can conclude that I found no evidence of anyone suggesting a minimum tank size of 29 gallons for a blue tang. Except for uncle99... He must be aquaman because he knows something we all dont.
Well you dont have to search if you know where to look

Minimum Tank Size180 gallons

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found 180 min
And grow to max size 12”

it would grow 2”-3” in the first 6 months .....

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with an Nanocube. Then a 20L, 30 cube, 54 column, 75 and now I have a 240.
I am certainly guilty of putting fish in too small of a tank over the years. I had no idea.
Then I put those same little tiny fish in an 8 foot tank and they grow to be 8 inches long in a year.
IMG_3423_HEIC-M.jpg

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, yes I do.
I have fun and take care of ALL my pets.
What I don’t do is listen to every armchair expert.
I make my own decisions and am willing to do what’s required.
Here we have 3 tangs in a 60....even at 2.5 years, the Blue was only 4 inches.
Note there are only 3 fish....do they look unhappy...
8889512B-143E-412B-A39B-AB73391DD11E.jpeg

Last edited:

KyRo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd only suggest this if you have an immediate location to put it in a couple months. That's what I did with my tang in a 35 gallon. I got him as a baby, he grew and I gave him to my uncle who has a much bigger tank. It was pretty seamless and had no issues. I didn't wait until he outgrew my tank though, I wouldn't wait until you 100% HAD to move it. Do it before it get uncomfortable.

Rubberfrog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, yes I do.
We'll grab some beers and steaks later and totally forget about this issue. Everyone has expressed their opinion, and we've heard them all before.

Frogspon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I was growing up, 75G was the minimum tank size for most tangs. Now it's 180? Give me a break.

All these virtue signalers about "fish first" didn't care when their juvenile was shot up with Cyanide in the wild and transferred between 5 middlemen in a 1 QT bag across the world to get it.

Some times people on here love to act like high school seniors telling the freshman they can't use the stairwell until they're juniors.

I'm not advocating for 29G tangs, but simply pointing out that the above mentality in the hobby is what leads to people not blindly trusting "rules of thumb" and asking questions like this.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, yes I do.
Note there are only 3 fish....do they look unhappy...
I noticed that both tangs have some fin erosion? Could this be an indication of cramped tank conditions?

I noticed similar fin erosion on a regal I had in a 6 foot 120 gallon.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

kaylajoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All these virtue signalers about "fish first" didn't care when their juvenile was shot up with Cyanide in the wild and transferred between 5 middlemen in a 1 QT bag across the world to get it.

Isn't the whole point of captive bred fish to prevent this? I don't see a justification for buying wild caught either, if it can be avoided.

sim2142

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure why this post has blown up now months after the last reply but the amount of people in this hobby who just spend their time gatekeeping on these forums is astounding.

“Abuse to keep a baby tang in a 30 gallon”
B424A0B2-AB50-4D79-A852-BFDF460A7974.jpeg

Here is my 30 gallon tang, eats a wide range of foods well, good colouration, never gasping, not pale, no diseases, no aggression, no wallriding, no hiding, fairly active.

He is around a year old now and I wouldn’t of been able to tell if he’s grown, so much for outgrowing the tank in 2 months?

Equating the actual abuse of animals to keeping a baby fish in a small aquarium temporarily is brain dead.

This seems similar to the same people mindlessly gatekeeping corals and anemones behind “mature tanks”

I guess we must have a lot of people here who studied bachelors in marine science?

Rubberfrog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure why this post has blown up now months after the last reply but the amount of people in this hobby who just spend their time gatekeeping on these forums is astounding.

Here is my 30 gallon tang, eats a wide range of foods well, good colouration, never gasping, not pale, no diseases, no aggression, no wallriding, no hiding, fairly active.

He is around a year old now and I wouldn’t of been able to tell if he’s grown, so much for outgrowing the tank in 2 months?

Equating the actual abuse of animals to keeping a baby fish in a small aquarium temporarily is brain dead.

This seems similar to the same people mindlessly gatekeeping corals and anemones behind “mature tanks”

I guess we must have a lot of people here who studied bachelors in marine science?
I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night. And I won a goldfish at the fair back in '75.

sim2142

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night. And I won a goldfish at the fair back in '75.
I’ve heard that those goldfish require at least a 4000 gallon tank to house them healthily.

I once stored my sea monkeys in only a 9000 gallon tank, guess I was an animal abuser should have been at least 2000 gallons more.

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

my sailfin put on 2+ inches in 5 months. Even will have bachelors in marine bio in less than 6 months and preparing for career in research, it does not take more than common sense to realize that a fish that can reach 12 inches does not belong in a cube tank with 20 inches lengths

back to original point there are SO many other fish for a 29 gallon!

also I think I'm going to found the @Rubberfrog fan club

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Months? This post is from two weeks ago.

I have a Bachelor of Science in Aquaculture and Fisheries Tech, not an expert on tangs growth potential, but I always ponder these discussions when it comes to tiny wild juv. fish that are collected and grown out.

How do you really know that fish has the genetics to reach great sizes, maybe it was the runt of the litter, the poor grower, the one with a heart condition? I've seen wild and domestic trout sizes that vary greatly within the same population.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 66 32.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back