Back After 20 Year Absence

Michael Naegeli

Captainspando
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to r2r! Boy have things changed in past 20 years... whole lot more exciting and colorful coral and bunch of new ideas and equipment to make things far more acheivable... you gonna love it !! Lots of pics please, we all just love some pics! Best of luck to ya...

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I lived in Florida until 1999 I had a healthy 100G reef tank. Unfortunately, when I moved back to NYC I had no room for it, so I sold it off and gave away the livestock. I recently retired early and bought a house in CT, so I am in the process of setting up a 110G tank and couldn't be happier.

A lot has changed in 20 years (and I forgot a lot), so I am spending a lot of time studying. My old tank had Metal Halides but I am embracing LED technology and already bought a Kessil AP700.

I look forward to being an active member of this board.

Cheers,
Ray

Welcome to Reef2Reef.

I’ve been married for 30 years and 20 years of abstinence isn’t a fun time. Glad you are back here after 20 years!

Last edited:
OP
OP
raylinds

raylinds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome back! Kessils are nice!

IMG_3883.GIF
Interesting that you should post that picture- I was at Turtle Beach in Oahu a few weeks ago snorkeling with a dozen turtles and beautiful reef fish. I had been planning on setting up another reef, but I started ordering the equipment as soon as I got back.

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting that you should post that picture- I was at Turtle Beach in Oahu a few weeks ago snorkeling with a dozen turtles and beautiful reef fish. I had been planning on setting up another reef, but I started ordering the equipment as soon as I got back.

That's serendipitous! How were the turtles? Sounds like an awesome experience.

OP
OP
raylinds

raylinds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's serendipitous! How were the turtles? Sounds like an awesome experience.
They were magnificent! I was going into the water and adjusting my mask when something bumped my leg. I looked down and it was a very large turtle! They are exceptionally graceful in the water (not so much on land) and very docile and tame. I tried to get away from the one that bumped me (because you are not supposed to touch them and keep ten feet from them) but he kept following me. Swimming amongst them is something I will never forget.

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds amazing!

The only snorkeling experience I've had with turtles included a very inebriated college-spring break in Mexico. One of the guys swam down .... must have been 30 feet or so, in his quest to touch a sea turtle. He managed it. But then said when he turned and looked up and realized how far down he had swam, he was scared he was going to drown. I'm, of course, the rule follower and refused to drink anything before snorkeling... cause.... I'd prefer to let the fishies "breathe" the water. I still am not sure how any of them didn't get arrested... Boys.. meh. :D

OP
OP
raylinds

raylinds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds amazing!

The only snorkeling experience I've had with turtles included a very inebriated college-spring break in Mexico. One of the guys swam down .... must have been 30 feet or so, in his quest to touch a sea turtle. He managed it. But then said when he turned and looked up and realized how far down he had swam, he was scared he was going to drown. I'm, of course, the rule follower and refused to drink anything before snorkeling... cause.... I'd prefer to let the fishies "breathe" the water. I still am not sure how any of them didn't get arrested... Boys.. meh. :D
I'm with you. Don't get me wrong, I love my cocktails but there is a time and place for everything and it is definitely after, not before, diving.

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RAY!!! Welcome!!!
A lot has changed but the basics remain the same. I, too, experienced the reef culture shock after my 13+ year absence. After everything, the best advances, technologically speaking (IMHO) has been the addition of controllers and LED's.
Look forward to your build and photos.
Share and Like often!

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm with you. Don't get me wrong, I love my cocktails but there is a time and place for everything and it is definitely after, not before, diving.

Haha! That made me laugh! Agreed!

Back