Back at it with a 32.5 Flex

JZ199

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After taking roughly 7 years off from the hobby I'm finally back in it. My last tanks were a 55G and 150G, I learned a ton on here and online and had a great time, but with a career change I didn't think I would have time. I broke down all my tanks and gave everything away... Since that time I've read and learned even more and I'm finally getting back into it! I forgot how fun it is to get things going.

Originally I wanted to go with a Waterbox Peninsula Mini 25, but I found a deal on market place on a fluval flex 32.5 marine that I couldn't pass up! So after an hour and a half ride I came home with it and finally have it cycling! ... I'm open to all opinions and suggestions, here is what I plan on doing, and what I've done so far.

I really want to focus on having a large area and variety of corals, and some peaceful fish and clean up crew.

I plan on replacing the stock lighting (Fluval Marine 3.0) with 2 AI Prime 16 HD which will also require a new lid, I plan on going Kraken Reef for that.

I wanted to go Nero 3 originally but the tank came with a Jabeo SOW-5 and that seems to be plenty sufficient for now, the stock return pump I would like to replace with a Syncra Silent 1.5 or a 2.0 if it fits after I check the dimensions.

I'm still not sure if I want to go with a skimmer, or run without one, I've seen tons of success with smaller tanks without a skimmer and feel like with proper filtration and water maintaining I could do without one?

First chamber I have a "bag" filled with biospheres, middle chamber has my return pump and heater and 3rd chamber I currently have the stock foam insert with a carbon bag and a fluval biomax media bag. I plan on doing away with the stock foam insert and getting the InTank media basket and probably keeping the fluval biomax, carbon bag, and adding filter floss to the top of the basket.

I have a basic thermometer and a little digital one I plan on replacing with the Inkbird wifi controller/monitor.

I'll attach some pictures later when I get out of work, I went with the CaribSea alive sand, the tank came with some nice rocks (roughly 20-25lbs probably) I did my best to clean up before putting into the tank (the tank was in bad shape and took a lot of cleaning to be able to see through the glass and get everything out of it)

I started ghost feeding for a day or 2 but eventually got a bottle of Dr.Tims ammonium chloride so I've put that in there, then between the "live sand" and dosing SeaChem Stability to help build the biofilter and get some nitrites rolling.

Open to seeing other tanks and what other people have done or changed on there's, or any comments on my plans. I plan on going mostly LPS for my corals and having a small friendly community tank.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, you'll probably be fine without a skimmer. Unless you're running a huge number of fish I can't see it necessarily offering a huge benefit (and you do pay a premium for nano skimmers).

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 42 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back