Back in again. 75g sps build thread

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live Rock Enhance which shoule help clean the rock, sand and break down the dieing cyano and algaes for the black out. We will see what happens, I feel this is more natural and less harsh than another chemi clean dose.
I've never seen this product before, looks interesting. I'll have to follow along and see how it does.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run oxydators too, but my understanding was that the catalysts break down peroxide. I’m sure some h2o2 escapes but do you think it’s a significant amount?
No, the H2O2 doesn't escape in any meaningful amount. The desirable part is the oxygen radical that gets released. The main difference between an oxydator and H2O2 dosing is that the oxygen radicals get released almost immediately in dosing but the oxydator releases a much lower but continuous amount.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I certainly understand that. There is a $12 microscope made by Amscope on Amazon that some people have used to identify their dinos/cyano. I know @dwest has used it, if I can't find it I'm sure he can give us a link.
This microscope works for me. $11

OP
OP
DesertReefT4r

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never seen this product before, looks interesting. I'll have to follow along and see how it does.
Its pretty new. Its pretty popular on Melevsreef Facebook group. Some people have experienced it removing dinos and cyano along with making the rock super clean looking. I am doing my second treatment with it. Did it about a month or so ago and saw no difference, not what hobbiests and Marc habe seem from using the product. Its a bacteria so it cant hurt and hoping it will add some diversity to out competing the cyano. The microscope is on the list on need to get reefing toys.
So heremis a new addition that will help in stability and keeping up with the increasing alk and cal demand. Plus my latest no3 test from sunday, we have nitrates people!! Not going to dose no3 for a week to see what it does from here.

20190812_194438_resized.jpg 20190811_181407_resized.jpg 20190811_181353_resized.jpg

OP
OP
DesertReefT4r

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After 3 day black out. Much better, still not all gone but hoping I can beat it now. Water change tomorrow. Added 9 more snails and 5 tiny blue leg hermits to the cuc, still need more snails but the LFS did not have any turbo snails. Also fed the tank some reef stew since the LFS had a fresh batch. Figured the live phyto and pods would be good for the tank.

20190813_181348_resized.jpg 20190813_181352_resized.jpg

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After 3 day black out. Much better, still not all gone but hoping I can beat it now. Water change tomorrow. Added 9 more snails and 5 tiny blue leg hermits to the cuc, still need more snails but the LFS did not have any turbo snails. Also fed the tank some reef stew since the LFS had a fresh batch. Figured the live phyto and pods would be good for the tank.

20190813_181348_resized.jpg 20190813_181352_resized.jpg
Excellent! Progress is good!

kanders87

Sarcasm Extraordinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, I cleared up my dino outbreak with a 3 day blackout, bubble scrubbing and dosing bottled bacteria. I blow off my rocks really well and also stir the sand bed up and then let the air pump run over night. I did this daily for about a week, and once things looked pretty good cut back to 2-3 times per week until I was sure they were gone. I now occasionally bubble just to help clear the water after blowing off rocks and stirring the sand (as I run skimmerless, I find that it helps remove crud from the water column similar to a skimmer, but on a larger scale).
Just something to consider.

little_sardines

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always had good luck with basting the dinos off the rocks/corals/sand/etc. so they are in the water column and running UV to kill it off. The trick I think is making sure you have a big enough UV sterilizer to make a difference for your water volume - I run the 25 watt UV from BRS (only when I have dinos): https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/emperor-aquatics-smart-uv-25-watt.html

OP
OP
DesertReefT4r

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well still looking good. Sand is staying cleaner. I do need to clean off the rock and sand daily for small patches of cyano still. I think I need more flow to keep the rock cleaner but sand storms are an issue.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I need more flow to keep the rock cleaner but sand storms are an issue.

Now that is the trick, try just angleing a power head slightly differently, see how things react maybe?
I have a cynarina and acros in a mixed reef, I make very small changes to try and max out flow on the acros and still keep the cynarina happy, very fine balancing act! ;)

OP
OP
DesertReefT4r

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that is the trick, try just angleing a power head slightly differently, see how things react maybe?
I have a cynarina and acros in a mixed reef, I make very small changes to try and max out flow on the acros and still keep the cynarina happy, very fine balancing act! ;)
Well I have my 2 Jebao PP-8 on 100% normally on random mode so it ramps up and down in a very random pattern, one in the leftnside and one on the right. If I point one or both down a litttle I get a sand storm. If I place them on the back glass even turned all the way down sand storm. Have tried several spots, angles, power levels, modes and the way I have them now is the best way to keep the sand mostly in place and provide the most random flow, you should be able to see power head placement in the pics below. Flow is not low or weak by any means its just hard to get good flow at the bottom and ends of the tank without sand storms. Maybe I should get a 3rd slightly smaller power head for the lower leves of the tank. Wish I would have had the money for Maxspect Gyres. Flow is such a tough thing to get just right.
Ok so here are some pics from today, I think I am winning the battle with cyano and the surviving corals continue to look better. I lost 3 more frags from the 3 day lights out to RTN and a few acors paled a bit.

20190817_174436_resized.jpg 20190817_174526_resized.jpg 20190817_174516_resized.jpg 20190817_174504_resized.jpg 20190817_174410_resized.jpg 20190817_174404_resized.jpg

OP
OP
DesertReefT4r

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water test day. No3 is still at 5ppm! I have not dosed Neo Nitro in a week and I did a 10g water change as well. Seems my tank is finding its no3 balance. No more fuge or filter socks has helped to Im sure. Other than that just been feeding the fish, no coral foods. Stopped at the LFS today and picked up 2 more large turbo snails to keep on top of algae and keeping the rock clean, a peppermint shrimp to eat aptasia (yep have them too) and coule not help but pick up a $20 acro frag to test the waters literally. I really water a frag of pearlberry but I knew I need to wait still for the nice stuff again.

OP
OP
DesertReefT4r

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I see no cyano! Sand and rock are looking very clean. Did the last dose of Live Rock Enhance this morning finishing the start up 7 day treatment. I will be doing the maintenance dose until its gone. The first time I did not see any difference but this time I can for sure. It played a large role in fighting the cyano and the rock just looks better, cleaner, fresher. Now to finish up getting the doser installed and hopefully things will go as they should. Just need to work on getting that color back in the acros, any tips from the acro experts?

OP
OP
DesertReefT4r

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the doser mounted and 1 channel set up for alk, need to get more tubing for cal. Planning to make a stop to pick some up after work. Set up the alk to dose 1ml 3 times a day to sread out the dose and help keep alk more stable. Plan is to do the same with the cal dose. So far the Jebao DP4 is very easy to use and pretty accurately doses. Time will tell how it holds up.

OP
OP
DesertReefT4r

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well cyano is staying well under control, some small patches here and ther on the rock. Some diatoms on the sand again. All easily delt with daily turkey basting. No3 is finally staying at my target of 5 ppm, po4 is at 0.02 ppm. Coral are still up and down. Now most of my montis are bleaching a bit and I lost my Rainbow monti, after effects of the 3 day black out. The Jebao doser is working well. Had to lower the alk dose due to it increasing by .2 dkh daily, at 8.7 as of yesturday, domt want to make any fast changes.
Thought I would share this pic of the fuge section of my sump, now an un-lit cryptic fuge. Getting over run with feather worms. These just showed up on there own and have done well.
20190827_180931_resized.jpg

Some ended up in my QT tank as well when I shook out some cheato in there to add some pods. They do well in there as well, started with 2, even though there is no fish in the QT and I basically do nothing to it. Wish my display was as clean and easy.
20190810_195021_resized_1.jpg
20190810_195034_resized_1.jpg

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%

Back