Back in again. 75g sps build thread

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Live Rock Enhance which shoule help clean the rock, sand and break down the dieing cyano and algaes for the black out. We will see what happens, I feel this is more natural and less harsh than another chemi clean dose.
I've never seen this product before, looks interesting. I'll have to follow along and see how it does.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
I run oxydators too, but my understanding was that the catalysts break down peroxide. I’m sure some h2o2 escapes but do you think it’s a significant amount?
No, the H2O2 doesn't escape in any meaningful amount. The desirable part is the oxygen radical that gets released. The main difference between an oxydator and H2O2 dosing is that the oxygen radicals get released almost immediately in dosing but the oxydator releases a much lower but continuous amount.

dwest

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I certainly understand that. There is a $12 microscope made by Amscope on Amazon that some people have used to identify their dinos/cyano. I know @dwest has used it, if I can't find it I'm sure he can give us a link.
This microscope works for me. $11

OP
DesertReefT4r

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I've never seen this product before, looks interesting. I'll have to follow along and see how it does.
Its pretty new. Its pretty popular on Melevsreef Facebook group. Some people have experienced it removing dinos and cyano along with making the rock super clean looking. I am doing my second treatment with it. Did it about a month or so ago and saw no difference, not what hobbiests and Marc habe seem from using the product. Its a bacteria so it cant hurt and hoping it will add some diversity to out competing the cyano. The microscope is on the list on need to get reefing toys.
So heremis a new addition that will help in stability and keeping up with the increasing alk and cal demand. Plus my latest no3 test from sunday, we have nitrates people!! Not going to dose no3 for a week to see what it does from here.

20190812_194438_resized.jpg 20190811_181407_resized.jpg 20190811_181353_resized.jpg

OP
DesertReefT4r

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
After 3 day black out. Much better, still not all gone but hoping I can beat it now. Water change tomorrow. Added 9 more snails and 5 tiny blue leg hermits to the cuc, still need more snails but the LFS did not have any turbo snails. Also fed the tank some reef stew since the LFS had a fresh batch. Figured the live phyto and pods would be good for the tank.

20190813_181348_resized.jpg 20190813_181352_resized.jpg

Top Shelf Aquatics

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
After 3 day black out. Much better, still not all gone but hoping I can beat it now. Water change tomorrow. Added 9 more snails and 5 tiny blue leg hermits to the cuc, still need more snails but the LFS did not have any turbo snails. Also fed the tank some reef stew since the LFS had a fresh batch. Figured the live phyto and pods would be good for the tank.

20190813_181348_resized.jpg 20190813_181352_resized.jpg
Excellent! Progress is good!

kanders87

Sarcasm Extraordinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
FWIW, I cleared up my dino outbreak with a 3 day blackout, bubble scrubbing and dosing bottled bacteria. I blow off my rocks really well and also stir the sand bed up and then let the air pump run over night. I did this daily for about a week, and once things looked pretty good cut back to 2-3 times per week until I was sure they were gone. I now occasionally bubble just to help clear the water after blowing off rocks and stirring the sand (as I run skimmerless, I find that it helps remove crud from the water column similar to a skimmer, but on a larger scale).
Just something to consider.

little_sardines

View Badges
Reaction score
I've always had good luck with basting the dinos off the rocks/corals/sand/etc. so they are in the water column and running UV to kill it off. The trick I think is making sure you have a big enough UV sterilizer to make a difference for your water volume - I run the 25 watt UV from BRS (only when I have dinos): https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/emperor-aquatics-smart-uv-25-watt.html

OP
DesertReefT4r

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Well still looking good. Sand is staying cleaner. I do need to clean off the rock and sand daily for small patches of cyano still. I think I need more flow to keep the rock cleaner but sand storms are an issue.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I think I need more flow to keep the rock cleaner but sand storms are an issue.
Now that is the trick, try just angleing a power head slightly differently, see how things react maybe?
I have a cynarina and acros in a mixed reef, I make very small changes to try and max out flow on the acros and still keep the cynarina happy, very fine balancing act! ;)

Corals.com
Cultivated Reef
UniqueCorals.com shop rare & farmed corls