OP
OP
NanoSteam

NanoSteam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I suppose I should post a pic of my 20g while we were living in the apartment last year as well as my 40b from 2013. Unfortunately prior tanks were in the era of crappy digital cameras/disposable cameras lol, I have no idea where those are. We were sporting flip phones and not HD cameras ready to go at a moments notice in our pockets.

20Gallon high video I had made:

40 breeder setup:

IMG_0018.JPG

OP
OP
NanoSteam

NanoSteam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Clearviewlids Tsunami lid arrived today, very nice fit, some manufacturing shavings stuck on all the edges I had to pick out but no complaints, it's a sleek seamless cover and the EZ lids offering was very quick from ordering to arrival.

All the tank inhabitants are doing very well so far, nothing to report. Surprisingly no sign of diatoms anywhere so far. I usually have something on the sand bed by now.

IMG_0647.jpg
IMG_0648.jpg

OP
OP
NanoSteam

NanoSteam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up a hammer coral today from LFS, dipped in Coral Rx for 10 min, Used some bone cutters to remove two vermetid snails and a brush to get some algae and whatever else was on the body/frag plug.

APC_0002.jpg

Also added TDS meter to the RODI system, Source water going in is at 247 and leaving at 0ppm.

IMG_0664.JPG

OP
OP
NanoSteam

NanoSteam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First time ordering a fish online has been a bad experience for me to say the least. Took the day off today to take care of the replacement fish but alas UPS let's me down. Should have seen that coming. Going to give the wife a crash course in acclimating, properly introducing the fish. Fingers crossed, hopefully it arrives healthy.

Here's the thread if:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/biota-yellow-tang-death.860319/

OP
OP
NanoSteam

NanoSteam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Received my Salifert Magnesium and Calcium kit...

Fritz blue box
Salinity: 34.5ppt
Nitrate: 5-10ppm
Alk: 8.3
Ca: 420
Mg: 1350

Everything looks good. I usually like to keep Alk at 9 but this will do for now. I had good success with TM All for Reef on my nano so that is on order to have ready on hand once these begin to deplete and water changes no longer suffice.

I had gotten my 20g nano to the point of 0 water changes with just dosing TM All for Reef with success. This stuff is great although I did have trouble keeping my nitrates above 0 at the time and had to dose regularly.

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@NanoSteam I read your thread about your experience with the @Biota_Marine yellow tang. If I remember correctly one or two other hobbyists were having problems with yellow tangs lying on their side and gilling heavily. This leads me to believe there is a problem here with gill flukes. The parasites that attach and live in the gills can make it difficult for fish to breathe and tangs are notorious for having these infestations. However a 5 minute freshwater dip does wonders for this situation. See this article and video. PS I really like the start of your build. I have a RSR 250 too. Check out my build thread by tapping on my Build Thread Contributor badge underneath my username. I am following this thread.

OP
OP
NanoSteam

NanoSteam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@NanoSteam I read your thread about your experience with the @Biota_Marine yellow tang. If I remember correctly one or two other hobbyists were having problems with yellow tangs lying on their side and gilling heavily. This leads me to believe there is a problem here with gill flukes. The parasites that attach and live in the gills can make it difficult for fish to breathe and tangs are notorious for having these infestations. However a 5 minute freshwater dip does wonders for this situation. See this article and video. PS I really like the start of your build. I have a RSR 250 too. Check out my build thread by tapping on my Build Thread Contributor badge underneath my username. I am following this thread.

Thanks for the heads up, and i'll make sure to check out your build. For the YT I'm not sure if it was a fluke but maybe. Seems I'm not alone in having the issues with them, they appear to be bad shippers at this time especially going to warm areas like Southern CA. UPS just has a tendency to forget boxes in hot sorting facilities :rolleyes:

I'll get this thread updated soon with updates on the RSR... everything is going ok so far, was just dealing with a stubborn bacteria bloom that turned into white slime but it seems to be gone now.

OP
OP
NanoSteam

NanoSteam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bit of an update... things are going great, took some coral photos today so i'll dump those below.

Threw out the Red Sea gravity fed ATO, was tired of refilling every 2 to 3 days. Using a Kamoer ATO with a $15 5 gallon HDPE container.

Also dosing Tropic Marin AFR with a Jebao DP2. Used AFR on my 20 Nano for a little over a year with excellent results, so naturally swayed towards the same setup. Currently dosing 4ml total per day to keep dkh at 8.6, Ca at 420 and Mag at 1350. I suspect I'll have to increase the dosage soon since adding 3 new corals today.

Here's the rats nest of a sump area as it sits right now:
IMG_0805.JPG

Green Sinularia:
APC_0044.jpg

Random zoa's. I'm unsure of the ID:
IMG_0762.JPG

Couple Duncan shots:
APC_0043.jpg
APC_0040.jpg

Hammer coral: (I don't keep up with fancy names so pardon me)
APC_0042.jpg
APC_0041.jpg

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much to report today... here are the test results compared to yesterday. I'm not going to bother testing nitrates yet until ammonia hits 0.

8/30/21 @ 9am
Ammonia: 2ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm

8/30/21 @ 4pm
Ammonia: 1.0 - 1.5 ppm
Nitrite: 0.5 - 1.0 ppm

8/31/21 @ 4pm
Ammonia: 1.0 ppm
Nitrite: 2ppm!

Also picked up this rechargeable air pump. Reviews were excellent. Has dual outlets and is supposed to last 25 to 28 hours continuous. Reviews seem to back up that claim.

IMG_0573.JPG
I love this pump

OP
OP
NanoSteam

NanoSteam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few update pictures, things are going well, a little Cyano on the sand bed which I'm not worried about. I've always ride those out without intervention, it will sort itself out naturally as long as parameters are in check.

Here's the sump area as it sits right now. Thinking about a UV setup in the near future but best decision to ditch the red sea ATO:
IMG_0889.JPG

FTS:
APC_0059.jpg

Love Colt Coral's, so difficult to find these days so jumped on it when I saw one at the LFS:
APC_0064.jpg

Mr. Clown thinks the sailfin is a clownfish. Doesn't leave it's side. Follows him around everywhere:
IMG_0897.JPG

Couple random shots:
APC_0063.jpg
APC_0061.jpg

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few update pictures, things are going well, a little Cyano on the sand bed which I'm not worried about. I've always ride those out without intervention, it will sort itself out naturally as long as parameters are in check.

Here's the sump area as it sits right now. Thinking about a UV setup in the near future but best decision to ditch the red sea ATO:
IMG_0889.JPG

FTS:
APC_0059.jpg

Love Colt Coral's, so difficult to find these days so jumped on it when I saw one at the LFS:
APC_0064.jpg

Mr. Clown thinks the sailfin is a clownfish. Doesn't leave it's side. Follows him around everywhere:
IMG_0897.JPG

Couple random shots:
APC_0063.jpg
APC_0061.jpg
@NanoSteam is your Sixline Wrasse aggressive at all?

OP
OP
NanoSteam

NanoSteam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@NanoSteam is your Sixline Wrasse aggressive at all?

Not at all. I know the reputation they have but I've had one before in my 40B for 4 years that never bothered any fish. I've had this one in the 250 for 3 weeks now and it just minds it's own business picking pods off the rocks. If anything the RG and tang show aggression towards it occasionally when it encroaches on their territory.

Both times I've owned one I made sure to add it last to allow the other fish to set their hierarchy. It knows it's place. It's also one of my go to fish from now on for pest control in case any make it past the coral dip.

All that being said, I'm mostly certain if I added the sixline as the 1st or 2nd fish, it would terrorize the others.

OP
OP
NanoSteam

NanoSteam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the XL300. You can fit a 10 gallon ATO in yours and hide some of the wiring.

how much do those go for? I tried looking into an acrylic ATO container but they are pricey! Ended up with the $18 5 gallon jug instead. Down the line it would be worth it to upgrade to one for sure.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how much do those go for? I tried looking into an acrylic ATO container but they are pricey! Ended up with the $18 5 gallon jug instead. Down the line it would be worth it to upgrade to one for sure.
Banshee was like 150 but having 10 gallons makes it easier if you're gone from the house for a week. It's also dark glass on 3 sides to prevent any algae and nice cut outs in the top for ATO lines and pump and it hides the birdsnest. I did the 5 gallon jug for a few months but like this better. I can fit 3 two liter dosing containers in front of it also.

OP
OP
NanoSteam

NanoSteam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Banshee was like 150 but having 10 gallons makes it easier if you're gone from the house for a week. It's also dark glass on 3 sides to prevent any algae and nice cut outs in the top for ATO lines and pump and it hides the birdsnest. I did the 5 gallon jug for a few months but like this better. I can fit 3 two liter dosing containers in front of it also.

Nice! definitely on the upgrade list down the road. My only fear is dumping 10 gallons of fresh water into the tank in case of an ATO failure vs 5 gallons and causing a spill/salinity drop but I suppose either can/would be detrimental anyway.

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not at all. I know the reputation they have but I've had one before in my 40B for 4 years that never bothered any fish. I've had this one in the 250 for 3 weeks now and it just minds it's own business picking pods off the rocks. If anything the RG and tang show aggression towards it occasionally when it encroaches on their territory.

Both times I've owned one I made sure to add it last to allow the other fish to set their hierarchy. It knows it's place. It's also one of my go to fish from now on for pest control in case any make it past the coral dip.

All that being said, I'm mostly certain if I added the sixline as the 1st or 2nd fish, it would terrorize the others.
@NanoSteam it is possible you have a female. I’ve heard they are much less temperamental. I had a Sixline once and put a strawberry gramma in with it. The Sixline killed it right away but left all the other fish alone before that and after that. Here is a Wrasse house I bought from Aqua Rocks Design. It’s for wrasses that sleep in mucous cocoons like Sixlines. Approximately 3x3x6 inches.
7679742A-6B9D-40A5-B7B5-C34A5BBC822B.png

OP
OP
NanoSteam

NanoSteam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@NanoSteam it is possible you have a female. I’ve heard they are much less temperamental. I had a Sixline once and put a strawberry gramma in with it. The Sixline killed it right away but left all the other fish alone before that and after that. Here is a Wrasse house I bought from Aqua Rocks Design. It’s for wrasses that sleep in mucous cocoons like Sixlines. Approximately 3x3x6 inches.
7679742A-6B9D-40A5-B7B5-C34A5BBC822B.png

It's possible i have a female Sixline, but even with how peaceful mine is I would be very cautious about adding most fish after. Only if they are more or equally aggressive. My Azure damsels went in fine after him or maybe her in this case, although they are fighting with each other so had to separate them. The only other fish I want and I hope will be ok to put in with the sixline is a flame hawkish.

Back