Back into the hobby (Arlington TX)

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,
My name is Hector Torres and after 20+ years my grand son of 2 years has talked me into getting back in the hobby! After walking out of a Saltwater store and he sad face of disrepair I had no choice to go the next day and purchase a setup. So much has changed since I was last in the hobby. Completly AMAZING! Well we get our new setup tomorrow and the family is just super excited. I look forward to meeting you, Thank you and have a good night

Welcome! Glad you joined.

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

These might help you find people local to you as we have a very active marine aquarium society (Fall Frag Swap will be in Arlington, your backyard):

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to your new home for saltwater reef aquarium resources and fun! Welcome to the family! :D
welcome-home-logo-greeting-png.1484246

OP
OP
htorresphotography

htorresphotography

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! Glad you joined.

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

These might help you find people local to you as we have a very active marine aquarium society (Fall Frag Swap will be in Arlington, your backyard):

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:
Yes, My local Saltwater Paradise dfw store will be here today at 5:30pm to deliver my entire setup.Thus it's only a 20gl setup, but since I have been out of the hobby for such a long time and my time has been occupied with my clients, I didn't want to take the chance of messing something up. But I will be taking pic of them setting it all up to start my build page.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, My local Saltwater Paradise dfw store will be here today at 5:30pm to deliver my entire setup.Thus it's only a 20gl setup, but since I have been out of the hobby for such a long time and my time has been occupied with my clients, I didn't want to take the chance of messing something up. But I will be taking pic of them setting it all up to start my build page.

I *love* Saltwater Paradise!! They were the first stop on hobby club LFS Bus Tour this past Spring. Fun times, everyone won in raffles, club provided motor coach, drinks (including beer) and LFSs provided food - Saltwater Paradise did breakfast donuts, coffee - great customer service (even when not bus tour lol!)

They are one of my Go To stores, too!

OP
OP
htorresphotography

htorresphotography

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I *love* Saltwater Paradise!! They were the first stop on hobby club LFS Bus Tour this past Spring. Fun times, everyone won in raffles, club provided motor coach, drinks (including beer) and LFSs provided food - Saltwater Paradise did breakfast donuts, coffee - great customer service (even when not bus tour lol!)

They are one of my Go To stores, too!

OMG that's so AWESOME!! I need to know when they do this next time

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OMG that's so AWESOME!! I need to know when they do this next time

You can sign up as free member on www.dfwmas.org website (go into registration). Then you can set a filter to alert you when new events are posted.

Usually LFS Bus Tour is in the Spring, but one year it was in the Fall. Info on past bus tours are up on hobby club website and DFWMAS YouTube channel:

Hobby club runs on shoe string budget with volunteers, and because of the website upgrade that just happened, not sure when next bus tour will be (hoping for Spring 2023, if club has enough $).

Optional, upgrade to Premium member ($25/year) and that gives you perks like free bus tour and discounts at many hobby club sponsors... its why I upgraded was to get discounts at hobby clubs like Saltwater Paradise - you can see the list of hobby club sponsors on hobby club website. Recent security upgrade made the whole sponsor area of hobby club Forum not visible to guests/public viewing. Must at least be free member and logged in at hobby club. Soon webmaster should swivel to fixing that - still kicking the tires after security-driven upgrade.

The main page ribbon Partners also includes companies that donate products, so I don't mean that HUGE list - there were a lot of companies who donated items to help out after last year's horrible Ice Storm.

Here, I'm not linking the hobby club Forum Partners/Sponsors area since today it isn't working right yet. Once you are a free member (if you decide in future to do that), you'll see it. Once you are a Premium Member, then you will see a whole additional section of Forum just for Premium members (sign up to borrow free PAR meter and more).

Last edited:
OP
OP
htorresphotography

htorresphotography

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can sign up as free member on www.dfwmas.org website (go into registration). Then you can set a filter to alert you when new events are posted.

Usually LFS Bus Tour is in the Spring, but one year it was in the Fall. Info on past bus tours are up on hobby club website and DFWMAS YouTube channel:

Hobby club runs on shoe string budget with volunteers, and because of the website upgrade that just happened, not sure when next bus tour will be (hoping for Spring 2023, if club has enough $).

Optional, upgrade to Premium member ($25/year) and that gives you perks like free bus tour and discounts at many hobby club sponsors... its why I upgraded was to get discounts at hobby clubs like Saltwater Paradise - you can see the list of hobby club sponsors on hobby club website. Recent security upgrade made the whole sponsor area of hobby club Forum not visible to guests/public viewing. Must at least be free member and logged in at hobby club. Soon webmaster should swivel to fixing that - still kicking the tires after security-driven upgrade.

The main page ribbon Partners also includes companies that donate products, so I don't mean that HUGE list - there were a lot of companies who donated items to help out after last year's horrible Ice Storm.

Here, I'm not linking the hobby club Forum Partners/Sponsors area since today it isn't working right yet. Once you are a free member (if you decide in future to do that), you'll see it. Once you are a Premium Member, then you will see a whole additional section of Forum just for Premium members (sign up to borrow free PAR meter and more).
Done enrolled and a member now! :)

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hello everyone,
My name is Hector Torres and after 20+ years my grand son of 2 years has talked me into getting back in the hobby! After walking out of a Saltwater store and he sad face of disrepair I had no choice to go the next day and purchase a setup. So much has changed since I was last in the hobby. Completly AMAZING! Well we get our new setup tomorrow and the family is just super excited. I look forward to meeting you, Thank you and have a good night
Welcome back to reefing! There have definitely been a lot of changes. You're in the right place! Reef2Reef is full of knowledgeable and friendly people. This is a great place to ask questions and get answers.

OfficeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,
Howdy and welcome to R2R!

Yes, lots has changed in the hobby and some not so much. Good news, you have lots of love and talent around. I might suggest the DFWMAS group too.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 27.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 17 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back