Back to reefing after 25 years

defasum

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my early 20's I had many freshwater tanks but my pride and joy was my 40G DAS reef tank. Marriage, children and career took over and lost the free time to continue my hobby. 6 months ago I was gifted a 90G reef ready tank complete with freshwater livestock from a friend who just wanted to get rid of it. I gladly took it over and cared for 1 large angel, and 3 large clown loaches until 2 weeks ago. I decided to breakdown the tank and prepare for another reef.

I have done quite a bit of research on the forums (and youtube) and am really excited to get it up and running. There have been lots of changes in the hobby. I recall protein skimmers were nothing more than an airstone and a collection cup. The tank is already drilled and has a built in overflow. I have started my list of equipment I will need to purchase and have completely cleaned the tank.

I look forward to learning as much as I can from the wealth of knowledge and experience from everyone in these forums.

Pic of tank when it was freshwater:
IMG_0045.jpg

OP
OP
defasum

defasum

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. I appreciate the inviting tone of R2R.

So far I have purchased:
Skimz UP22 sumpro sump
Hydor smart level ATO controller
Hydor circulating wave pump
Sicce Syncra silent 4.0 pump for sump (951 gph)

Plan to purchase:
Skimmer - anyone have suggestions on which one?
lighting - Current USA Orbit Marine Aquarium LED Light - link

The tank is a 90G Oceanic bow front. I will be replacing the glass tops with cut acrylic. The glass tops have quite a bit of calcium buildup and I would like to start with a nice clean top.
I'm taking my time deciding on what fish and corals I'm going to keep. I must have a clown pair though to keep my wife and youngest son happy.

I see that dry rock has become a favorite among the community. I don't believe dry rock was an option years ago? I am reading about cycling now and there seems to be quite different opinions. Should I introduce bacteria and cycle quickly? Or let the rock & sand do their job for a few months?

Any suggestions are gladly accepted!

/Julian

Bronc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. I appreciate the inviting tone of R2R.

I see that dry rock has become a favorite among the community. I don't believe dry rock was an option years ago? I am reading about cycling now and there seems to be quite different opinions. Should I introduce bacteria and cycle quickly? Or let the rock & sand do their job for a few months?

Any suggestions are gladly accepted!

/Julian

Personally, I like live rock, live sand and using lots of bacteria - then taking it slow by slowly introducing fish. I like finding new things growing in the live rock, but as I'm sure you've read there can be bad stuff too. I've bought all of my live rock locally where I can see and pick the pieces and I've been happy.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome back!

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Julian welcome to R2R and back to reefing. Yes a lot has changed, and there is plenty of member that will help you with your new journey.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With liverock, you get all kinds of life - bacterial, algal, molluscs, echinoderms, crustaceans . . . some of which may be pests such as crabs, mantis shrimps or bobbit worms - and you get endless fascination.

With dry rock, you get no pests - and you've got to add in any 'pods, shrimp, crabs, echinoderms, bristle, fan or spaghetti worms, macroalgae, and even bacteria that you want - and you might just know exactly what's in there.

Two different styles - if I had unlimited budget, I'd go for "fresh-from-the-sea" ... but that's just me. I don't have that budget, so I'm using a bit of both. Do check reviews for your source of rock carefully - the "air rock" I started my 65 with was ... wet. It probably had some bacteria in it, but no macro-life that I've been able to confirm came from that source in a year or so.

~Bruce

OP
OP
defasum

defasum

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to update my thread...

so the tank has been converted from fresh to salt.

90G Oceanic bowfront with matching stand and canopy

purchase list:
Skimz UP22 sumpro sump
SCAquarium 302 protein skimmer
2 - Hydor Koralia circulation pumps
Marinepure bio-filter media
40lb of RealReef live rock
80lb CaribSea fiji pink live sand

I re-plummed my tank from a Durso to a Herbie because I wasn't happy with the splashing noise when it was fresh and I'm glad I did. ZERO water noise now!
I removed one of the two filter socks and replaced it with bio-filter media
I'm 3 days into the cycle so far. Really looking forward to adding livestock!

Thanks to @melypr1985 for the advice at the LFS she works at. I may have to make the 45 min. drive for all of my purchases.

Some pics...
IMG_0356.jpg
IMG_0352.jpg
IMG_0351.jpg
IMG_0353.jpg
IMG_0348.jpg

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to update my thread...

so the tank has been converted from fresh to salt.

90G Oceanic bowfront with matching stand and canopy

purchase list:
Skimz UP22 sumpro sump
SCAquarium 302 protein skimmer
2 - Hydor Koralia circulation pumps
Marinepure bio-filter media
40lb of RealReef live rock
80lb CaribSea fiji pink live sand

I re-plummed my tank from a Durso to a Herbie because I wasn't happy with the splashing noise when it was fresh and I'm glad I did. ZERO water noise now!
I removed one of the two filter socks and replaced it with bio-filter media
I'm 3 days into the cycle so far. Really looking forward to adding livestock!

Thanks to @melypr1985 for the advice at the LFS she works at. I may have to make the 45 min. drive for all of my purchases.

Some pics...
IMG_0356.jpg
IMG_0352.jpg
IMG_0351.jpg
IMG_0353.jpg
IMG_0348.jpg

Well that looks like a really great start! I was happy to help :)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back