Bacteria bloom iv never seen

NanoMan3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everybody. I have a pretty unique question. I am not new to reefing I have Been reefing for the last 6-7years. I do mostly nano tanks and have a problem with a new 20 long I have started. It’s about a month and a half old, two clown fish and 20 pounds of live rock and running a canister filter with marine pure pellets and filter floss. I added fritz turbo on day 1 with ghost feedings. I’m getting a bacteria bloom every single night and then clears up mid afternoon crystal clear water and then same time in the morning back to the bacteria bloom it’s been like this for the last two weeks anyone have an idea of why this is so routine? Thanks

ps levels are as follows

ammonia undetectable

nitrites undetectable

nitrates 10 ppm

DKH 8.6

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a nano, why not just rip clean it into compliance

its not a bad or destabilizing event, we do it in tanks that are moving homes safely. To move cleanly and with all new water, they set up with no recycle at the new home.

this can be an in-place cleaning right where the tank sits just the same...finding the cause sometimes doesn’t matter when a deep cleaning just fixes it. You’ll have to make sure you’re using good topoff water, all the small details but you need to know that instant resets are possible, easy to do, over and over as needed. It’s one way we cheat nano reefs into very old age.

try and reef not needing them ideally, but when it’s time to deep clean we have simple threads showing before problem after clean as examples.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a nano, why not just rip clean it into compliance

its not a bad or destabilizing event, we do it in tanks that are moving homes safely. To move cleanly and with all new water, they set up with no recycle at the new home.

this can be an in-place cleaning right where the tank sits just the same...finding the cause sometimes doesn’t matter when a deep cleaning just fixes it. You’ll have to make sure you’re using good topoff water, all the small details but you need to know that instant resets are possible, easy to do, over and over as needed. It’s one way we cheat nano reef into very old age.

I can’t believe we are not on the same page. I don’t think we need a rip clean here. We need to figure out what is causing the bloom. Whose to say some combination of what was done would not bring about the same situation if he rip cleans and restarts with same set up?

I am suspicious of the bio block. No particular reason or evidence. Maybe more lack of knowledge of the product. I don’t think they are needed for the set up.

OP
OP
N

NanoMan3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t believe we are not on the same page. I don’t think we need a rip clean here. We need to figure out what is causing the bloom. Whose to say some combination of what was done would not bring about the same situation if he rip cleans and restarts with same set up?

I am suspicious of the bio block. No particular reason or evidence. Maybe more lack of knowledge of the product. I don’t think they are needed for the set up.
Yes I agree . I have done a 90% water change and it came right back that night . What’s weird is it’s very routine . Like right now it’s 8:00 at night and it’s crystal clear . By morning it will have bloomed again. . Been doing this last two weeks. Should I feed more ? Get more of a bio load in there ?

reses12

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d throw a UV sterilizer in it for several weeks to take care of it. New tank or not it needs to be addressed and I found this was the easiest way to get it taken care of.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back