Bacterial Infection?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I called and they guy asked how many gallons and how many fish then said 1 tsp a day with 25% WC for 7 days would be what he recommends. I have been doing 3/4 tsp a day with 25% WC and plan to do at least 10 days. I am seeing improvement in the dark fin rot looking stuff on his pectoral fins and also seeing improvement in the lesion looking patch on his left side. So I guess I'll keep with the current dosing schedule since it's working.

I agree; I wouldn't risk ODing the medication, especially since you are seeing signs of improvement at the proper dosage.

OP
OP
I

Instigate

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree; I wouldn't risk ODing the medication, especially since you are seeing signs of improvement at the proper dosage.
So the CBB is still doing good. Continued improvement of the bacterial infection but he's still not over it. Still eats like a pig. When I first started the meds he got worse for a little while then started to get better. Right now he looks maybe slightly better than the photo in the first post but I can still see a little something. My question is, is there a maximum number of days I can treat with NFG? Or just keep going until he's better? Do I stop treatment the first day I can't find any signs of bacterial infection? I'm assuming I can treat indefinitely until he looks better and just to be safe it would be best to continue treatment for several days after I don't see any signs of bacterial infection. Am I correct in this thought?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the CBB is still doing good. Continued improvement of the bacterial infection but he's still not over it. Still eats like a pig. When I first started the meds he got worse for a little while then started to get better. Right now he looks maybe slightly better than the photo in the first post but I can still see a little something. My question is, is there a maximum number of days I can treat with NFG? Or just keep going until he's better? Do I stop treatment the first day I can't find any signs of bacterial infection? I'm assuming I can treat indefinitely until he looks better and just to be safe it would be best to continue treatment for several days after I don't see any signs of bacterial infection. Am I correct in this thought?

I would treat for a max of 14 days using NFG. If the infection still remains by then, switch over to using a different ABX that will hopefully be more efffective against whatever bacterium he has. Options include:
  1. The Triple Threat aka Kanaplex + Furan-2 + Metroplex
  2. Neomycin (Seachem Neoplex) + Sulfaplex
  3. API Triple Sulfa Powder
What makes bacterial infections so tricky is you must match the proper antibiotic(s) to eliminate the offending bacterium. In some cases, there is more than one “right answer” especially when using a broad spectrum antibiotic. However, in some other cases there is only one “silver bullet” you have to find. o_O

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^ Just to add: It is very important to feed vitamin enriched foods & probiotics while using ABX to treat for an infection. Antibiotics, in and of themselves, do not cure a fish. Antibiotics merely control the population growth of bacteria in a fish long enough for its immune system to eliminate them. So, a healthy immune system is key to completely overcoming the infection. :)

OP
OP
I

Instigate

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would treat for a max of 14 days using NFG. If the infection still remains by then, switch over to using a different ABX that will hopefully be more efffective against whatever bacterium he has. Options include:
  1. The Triple Threat aka Kanaplex + Furan-2 + Metroplex
  2. Neomycin (Seachem Neoplex) + Sulfaplex
  3. API Triple Sulfa Powder
What makes bacterial infections so tricky is you must match the proper antibiotic(s) to eliminate the offending bacterium. In some cases, there is more than one “right answer” especially when using a broad spectrum antibiotic. However, in some other cases there is only one “silver bullet” you have to find. o_O

Just so happens today was #14. So tomorrow I will do a WC (50% or more?) and get switched over to the meto/kana/furan. Thanks for all the guidance! It's much appreciated.

OP
OP
I

Instigate

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^ Just to add: It is very important to feed vitamin enriched foods & probiotics while using ABX to treat for an infection. Antibiotics, in and of themselves, do not cure a fish. Antibiotics merely control the population growth of bacteria in a fish long enough for its immune system to eliminate them. So, a healthy immune system is key to completely overcoming the infection. :)
For sure! I've been feeding 3-5 times a day. A mix of mostly Selcon soaked mysis, Spirulina Brine Shrimp and some Formula 2 for the first 2-3 daytime feedings. Then for the last feeding right before the WC and redose of NFG I feed all the Reef Frenzy he will eat. Makes a huge mess because he only likes to eat the large pieces and often times spits some out so that's why I wait for before the WC to feed the Reef Frenzy otherwise that would be the staple. I also try to feed some Hikkari Mega Angel but he doesn't seem to enthused about that one. Do you have any suggestions on providing a better diet? I got him some clams on a half shell but he just picks at them a little till it makes a big mess then ignores it. lol But they make for excellent distractions for my cleaner shrimp in the DT when I try to feed the corals.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Instigate Have you tried live blackworms? Those are high in protein and CBBs usually love them.

OP
OP
I

Instigate

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Instigate Have you tried live blackworms? Those are high in protein and CBBs usually love them.
Nope. I was planning on starting a culture before getting a cbb in case it was a finicky eater. But I ended up finding one that eats really good and didn't bother.

OP
OP
I

Instigate

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So Sunday night is going to be day 10 on the triple threat. He's still showing some fin rot so I'm assuming I'm on to another antibiotic? Which would you recommend next? Here are some photos of his current condition. I think the original bacterial infection that was on his left side is pretty much gone but it's hard for me to tell. Any opinions?

cbb5-4.jpg

2cbb5-4.jpg

1cbb5-4.jpg

5cbb5-4.jpg

3cbb5-4.jpg

4cbb5-4.jpg

OP
OP
I

Instigate

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Instigate For lingering fin rot, here are my suggestions (in order of preference):
  1. A sulfa based med such as API Triple Sulfa or Seachem Sulfaplex
  2. Neomycin Sulfate aka Seachem Neoplex
  3. Erythromycin: http://www.apifishcare.com/product.php?id=631#.Wu2uEnUrK1I
Thanks! Pretty sure my LFS has the API Triple Sulfa. I'll have to swing by there this weekend.
Your CBB is looking so much better. Nice work. ;)
Thank you, it's been a lot of work and worry but it's totally worth it imo. But now I'm really dreading putting this fish through copper again. Need to get my hands on a CP scrip. Or possibly consider TTM but all the netting and transferring seems so stressful for the fish. And I'd have to get another 40-60 gallon tank.

I don't think this fish should be in a tank less than a 40 breeder for QT, he's in a 4' 60 right now and would probably appreciate some more space. I think this all might have been avoided if I has started off with the 60 gallon instead of a 20 long. He's such a messy eater and a lot of the Reef Frenzy ends up breaking apart into small pieces he ignores. I try to net out what I can of course but it leads to water quality issues I believe. No CUC or smaller fish to clean up the mess and I can only remove so much.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Pretty sure my LFS has the API Triple Sulfa. I'll have to swing by there this weekend.

Thank you, it's been a lot of work and worry but it's totally worth it imo. But now I'm really dreading putting this fish through copper again. Need to get my hands on a CP scrip. Or possibly consider TTM but all the netting and transferring seems so stressful for the fish. And I'd have to get another 40-60 gallon tank.

I don't think this fish should be in a tank less than a 40 breeder for QT, he's in a 4' 60 right now and would probably appreciate some more space. I think this all might have been avoided if I has started off with the 60 gallon instead of a 20 long. He's such a messy eater and a lot of the Reef Frenzy ends up breaking apart into small pieces he ignores. I try to net out what I can of course but it leads to water quality issues I believe. No CUC or smaller fish to clean up the mess and I can only remove so much.

Check out this feeder another member on R2R put together for feeding CBBs. You can insert between the two layers (the top can be opened like a pouch), dried or live black worms, frozen foods, etc. and the CBB just pecks at it like it would in the ocean. It's called "plastic canvas" and you can get it at almost any crafting/sewing kind of places. He just snipped out a few places to make it big enough for the CBB to get its mouth in there to feed. It's hard to see in the picture, but he used a piece of rigid aquarium tubing as a hanger to place the feeder into the tank at just the right depth for the fish to feed.

Screen Shot 2018-02-24 at 8.52.16 AM.png

OP
OP
I

Instigate

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out this feeder another member on R2R put together for feeding CBBs. You can insert between the two layers (the top can be opened like a pouch), dried or live black worms, frozen foods, etc. and the CBB just pecks at it like it would in the ocean. It's called "plastic canvas" and you can get it at almost any crafting/sewing kind of places. He just snipped out a few places to make it big enough for the CBB to get its mouth in there to feed. It's hard to see in the picture, but he used a piece of rigid aquarium tubing as a hanger to place the feeder into the tank at just the right depth for the fish to feed.

Screen Shot 2018-02-24 at 8.52.16 AM.png
That's an excellent idea, I had seen the pvc with holes drilled into it for feeding them with fast eating fish but the needle point idea should help keep the water clean. Except for what he chews and spits out lol.

OP
OP
I

Instigate

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did an 80% WC and ran a large sock of carbon in the hob all day and the water is nice and clear. It's so nice to see the fish in clear water again. Colors are so vibrant. Also I dosed the first dose of API Triple Sulfa tonight.

OP
OP
I

Instigate

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just noticed the CBB is breathing heavy with one gill. Ich or gill flukes are most likely right? What would be the best course of action?

OP
OP
I

Instigate

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Freshwater dip.
Ugh, I hate doing that. I knew that would be what is suggested. Seems so stressful for the fish. If I find presence of flukes I should stop the Triple Sulfate meds and give him the prazi right? I assume they cannot be mixed right?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh, I hate doing that. I knew that would be what is suggested. Seems so stressful for the fish. If I find presence of flukes I should stop the Triple Sulfate meds and give him the prazi right? I assume they cannot be mixed right?

If the FW dip shows flukes, then I would run carbon to pull any residuals from the ABX out and dose Prazipro.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 41.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 35.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back