Bacterial Infection?

Instigate

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does this look like the start of a bacterial infection? I'm setting up the hospital tank right now but I wanted to get some opinions. Once I'm done making up some salt water I'm going to try to get some clearer photos or some video for a better ID. Thanks.

CBB.jpg
CBB2.jpg

OP
OP
I

Instigate

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone! I've got him and the YWG in a 4 foot 60 gallon with 40 gallons of fresh clean saltwater in it. Also got the first doses of meto/kana/furan in. I really hope he pulls through. He instantly became my favorite fish. Such an interesting and beautiful fish.

/But he did get 7 days in the copper so there is a chance he wont have to go through copper again right? What would you guys do?

Last edited:

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But he did get 7 days in the copper so there is a chance he wont have to go through copper again right? What would you guys do?

Only 7 days in copper is cutting it way too close to ensure ich/velvet eradication. After he has completed ABX treatment and the infection clears, I would run him back through copper again.

OP
OP
I

Instigate

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only 7 days in copper is cutting it way too close to ensure ich/velvet eradication. After he has completed ABX treatment and the infection clears, I would run him back through copper again.

Got it. So, I went down to the LFS today to restock my fish medicine cabinet and they had NFG powder. So I got that as well as the metro/kana/furan to replace what I used up last night. So how would you advise I proceed? I have NFG on hand now but I just dosed the tank with metro/kana/furan last night. Should I continue with the treatment I started last night? Or if I should switch to the NFG how can I safely do that?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it. So, I went down to the LFS today to restock my fish medicine cabinet and they had NFG powder. So I got that as well as the metro/kana/furan to replace what I used up last night. So how would you advise I proceed? I have NFG on hand now but I just dosed the tank with metro/kana/furan last night. Should I continue with the treatment I started last night? Or if I should switch to the NFG how can I safely do that?

I would do a large water change (at least 50%) before switching over to NFG.

OP
OP
I

Instigate

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of water changes when using NFG. Be prepared for some work. ;)
Oh yea I didn't see the daily WC thing till I got home. I guess that will help to insure good water quality and avoid ammonia though. Do you guys use RODI for your QT and HT? I was thinking about using dechlorinated tap just for the HT and fish QT.

OP
OP
I

Instigate

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NFG will tint the water color a bit. Plus it helps cycle out any dead or bad bio material, nitrites, nitrates, etc.
For sure, but what do you think about using tap water for QT and HT? Bad idea?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For sure, but what do you think about using tap water for QT and HT? Bad idea?
Good question. Might be worth a try. Let us know how it works. That's the great thing about this hobby. Lots of people willing to try new or different things and processes.
I've always used RODI. But there was a time when dechlorinated tap was all people used.

OP
OP
I

Instigate

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good question. Might be worth a try. Let us know how it works. That's the great thing about this hobby. Lots of people willing to try new or different things and processes.
I've always used RODI. But there was a time when dechlorinated tap was all people used.
For sure. I'm not sure I'm going to give it a try, at least not with this CBB. But if I do I will.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But there was a time when dechlorinated tap was all people used.

Yes, but back in the day chlorine was more commonly used to treat tap water than chloramine. Nowadays, I suspect the latter is more oft-used. A water conditioner will break the bonds between chlorine and nitrogen atoms in the chloramine molecule (NH2Cl), freeing the chlorine atoms and replacing them with hydrogen (H) to create ammonia (NH3). However, the ammonia is only bound for 48 hours before being released back into the water. :eek: So, you better have a strong QT biofilter to process it. Continuing to dose a water conditioner every 48 hrs is not a good option, especially if you plan on using meds in QT (like copper).

OP
OP
I

Instigate

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got switched over to NFG last night and filled the tank all the way. I can tell the CBB seems more at ease in the 4ft 60 gallon vs the 20 gallon long. The Goby is looking better, he had some fin rot but that's all grown back now. The CBB's side is looking slightly worse but still eating great and acting normal.

So I'm about to do the 25% WC and I just wanted to double check dosing the NFG. I see the antibiotic thread says follow the label instructions but the label says 25% WC every day with a full dose but for 50 gallon or over it says to do a 25% WC and full dose every 5 days. Why the huge difference? I'm assuming the over 50 gallon dosage is a minimum and it would be better to do the 25% WC and full daily dose regardless of tank size right?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm about to do the 25% WC and I just wanted to double check dosing the NFG. I see the antibiotic thread says follow the label instructions but the label says 25% WC every day with a full dose but for 50 gallon or over it says to do a 25% WC and full dose every 5 days. Why the huge difference? I'm assuming the over 50 gallon dosage is a minimum and it would be better to do the 25% WC and full daily dose regardless of tank size right?

I've seen that on the label too, but am unsure why dosing instructions differ for 50+ gallon QTs. :confused:

I would call Fishman Chemical (who makes NFG) to inquire as to why: https://www.fishchemical.com/

OP
OP
I

Instigate

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen that on the label too, but am unsure why dosing instructions differ for 50+ gallon QTs. :confused:

I would call Fishman Chemical (who makes NFG) to inquire as to why: https://www.fishchemical.com/

I called and they guy asked how many gallons and how many fish then said 1 tsp a day with 25% WC for 7 days would be what he recommends. I have been doing 3/4 tsp a day with 25% WC and plan to do at least 10 days. I am seeing improvement in the dark fin rot looking stuff on his pectoral fins and also seeing improvement in the lesion looking patch on his left side. So I guess I'll keep with the current dosing schedule since it's working.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 7.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 44 34.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 24.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back