Bacterial infections

Auto-pilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I have a question about bacterial infections in fish and what it looks like. I have a qt tank that I usually kept a frog fish in that I will use to quarantine new fish when I get them and then move the frog fish into the sump. I got a sunburst anthia and got him eating using baby brine and then misis shrimp and he was doing great for about 2 weeks I then thought I would add a goby to my system and would just restart my Qarantine prossess...... When I put it Into my tank I noticed it brought ick with it and dosed copper Into the system. The goby died within a day and I began watching my sunburst closely. It looked like he might have had a white film on him but it was hard to tell. He stopped eating and died with little to no obvious sighns of disease on him, he seemed bloated that's the only visible sign. Fast forward a couple weeks I put the frog fish back in(not letting him get an air bubble in him) he ate fine and I didn't notice anything off but 5 days after I looked at the tank when I got off work and he was just dead. Same thing no evidence other than being bloated. Do you think that it's just a frog fish thing or is it related?? Is my tank infected with some sort of bacteria? I finished the copper treatment, should I not put any fish in this tank?

Hitman

Reefing One Day @ A Time!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being it’s a QT I would do a 100% water change and dose reef flux to kill any bacteria then do an other water change.

OP
OP
Auto-pilot

Auto-pilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would what I explained sound like a bacterial infection???? I also have heard that Marine valvent can sometimes not show alot of external symptoms. To be honest I'm super frustrated with this and was really dissapointed that my frog fish died. He was happy one minute dead the next. At this point in only guessing but am curious what I should do if I ever suspect a bacterial infection or notice something is off but don't see any physical symtoms

Hitman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like it. How where they breathing before they passed?

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Velvet and bacterial infections can both cause deaths without visible external symptoms.

Bacterial infections can be entirely internal and not visible externally. It's hard to tell. Either way I would bleach your QT and reboot it JIC.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Velvet and bacterial infections can both cause deaths without visible external symptoms.

Bacterial infections can be entirely internal and not visible externally. It's hard to tell. Either way I would bleach your QT and reboot it JIC.
Concur 100%

OP
OP
Auto-pilot

Auto-pilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks I don't have alot of experience with either of those diseases. Do you guys treat your fish right away when they are new to help or just wait and see if they get sick.

Hitman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally don’t treat for anything unless I find a issue. To me it’s like taking cold medicine just because you have it on the self but you don’t have a cold. Others treat just for precaution.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back