Bad fish

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm done with new fish lol i got a flame hawkfish, mandarin dragonet,ywg and pistol shrimp and a clown pair, and cuc. They're in a 35 he didn't attack anyone not even the pistol or snails. Soon as these 2 came in he killed them. The mandarin is tiny and he does nothing to her
To bad dude, these types of fish are better added last. He’s turned to like his home the way it is. Everyone new is just competition for the space he’s claimed.
maybe they started it, and he was defending himself?
Hahah that’s a fun thought but what were the other fish?

Last edited:

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
To bad dude, these types of fish are better added last. He’s turned to like his home the way it is. Everyone new is just completion for the space he’s claimed.

Hahah that’s a fun thought but what were the other fish?
They were bangaii cardinals. I don't understand the lfs guy.
Edit : in a 10g display/holding tank.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
beautiful fish though. They do need their own setup, unless you get lucky.
Yea they need a lot of room (mainly for other fish to keep their distance) and if you add them last the chances for success go up. I tried the arc eye hawk and he never killed but he was aggressive and he did dive at others to strike. He got big quickly and when I returned him the lfs owner was happy to take in the larger specimen, we traded for a falco hawk. They are much nicer in my opinion with really cool dorsal fins and coloration. This falco in my tank avoid others

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yea they need a lot of room (mainly for other fish to keep their distance) and if you add them last the chances for success go up. I tried the arc eye hawk and he never killed but he was aggressive and he did dive at others to strike. He got big quickly and when I returned him the lfs owner was happy to take in the larger specimen, we traded for a falco hawk. They are much nicer in my opinion with really cool dorsal fins and coloration. This falco in my tank avoid others
Maybe i might try a falco hawk. I do love the personality of hawkfish. My powder blue tang damaged an eye on my female firefish. The powder blue also attacked my female clown. The tang had to go.
But, if a falco will leave my fire's alone, that would add a lot of character to my aquarium.

aurora.k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just adding to the common refrain that apparently it depends, I have a flame hawkfish who isn't aggressive with anyone and he's one of the older residents of the tank. I mean. He defends his space but he doesn't aggressively go after anyone and he hasn't caused any issues. I just added my last fish to the tank (Goldflake angel ;Shamefullyembarrased) and for the first couple days my male pygmy angel was bullying it but they seem to have come to terms. The flame hawkfish did nothing but adorably perch on things and move its eyes independently.

OP
OP
Heres_doe_

Heres_doe_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just adding to the common refrain that apparently it depends, I have a flame hawkfish who isn't aggressive with anyone and he's one of the older residents of the tank. I mean. He defends his space but he doesn't aggressively go after anyone and he hasn't caused any issues. I just added my last fish to the tank (Goldflake angel ;Shamefullyembarrased) and for the first couple days my male pygmy angel was bullying it but they seem to have come to terms. The flame hawkfish did nothing but adorably perch on things and move its eyes independently.
Mine didn't do anything he was my fourth fish i added. I added the mandarin dragonet after him and no issues. When i added the cardinals he went after them that's all. He ok with all fishes and they all claim the right side of the tank all of them even the pistol shrimp.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Mine didn't do anything he was my fourth fish i added. I added the mandarin dragonet after him and no issues. When i added the cardinals he went after them that's all. He ok with all fishes and they all claim the right side of the tank all of them even the pistol shrimp.
I wonder if they just hate cardinals.
no less then 30g
I may attempt this, I dunno yet.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank size?

aurora.k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe it is just cardinals?

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I used to have a warmouth sunfish, which is a bit like a miniature grouper. I had some silver dollars with him at one point. They're a very shiny, tall-bodied fish, like a small vegetarian piranha. I had to take the silver dollars out, because their flanks would flash in the sunlight hitting the tank, and the warmouth would strike on instinct and try to eat them. He couldn't eat them, but would leave a bite mark and scare the poor things.

My point is, I wonder if it's the white? Maybe the hawkfish thought that was something he could eat.

OP
OP
Heres_doe_

Heres_doe_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have a warmouth sunfish, which is a bit like a miniature grouper. I had some silver dollars with him at one point. They're a very shiny, tall-bodied fish, like a small vegetarian piranha. I had to take the silver dollars out, because their flanks would flash in the sunlight hitting the tank, and the warmouth would strike on instinct and try to eat them. He couldn't eat them, but would leave a bite mark and scare the poor things.

My point is, I wonder if it's the white? Maybe the hawkfish thought that was something he could eat.
Didn't think of that who knows got me thinking lol

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Thats very likely. So no shiny silver fishy with a hawk.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 38 32.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back