Banggai Breeding

frenchman68

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 5 mature Banggai Cardinals in my tank. How do I tell if I have a mix of males and females and are they a fish that breeds easily in captivity? I have a 92gal mixed reef and would like to have them breed. Any help would bbe great.

Herefishyfishy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After having raised them for a decade and bred them for a couple years, have come to the conclusion that the best way to sex a pair is quite
simple. Start with a group of 3-5 fish. When two hang out together separate from the others, you have a pair :)

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
After having raised them for a decade and bred them for a couple years, have come to the conclusion that the best way to sex a pair is quite
simple. Start with a group of 3-5 fish. When two hang out together separate from the others, you have a pair :)

Great advice!

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mike ^Herefishyfishy^ had a great little setup for breeding and raising the young and have three of his tank bred in my system. He may share it here with us if we're lucky.... One of which currently has a mouth FULL of eggs, it was the largest of the three and paired up with my existing female which had lost her mate while we were on vacation (starvation from a back-to-back-to-back... spawning cycle) Males are very suceptable to starving in a community DT from multiple mouth incubation periods where they don't eat and or feel safe to expel babies into a urchin or coral colony. This is the 3rd or 4th spawning from this pair and may fabricate a artificial Urchin to place in display and see what happens.

Cheers, Todd

rainydave

Chimp in Space
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mike is quite good at pairing. I have a pair that he raised. The male was holding eggs last month.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
One thing I would add to the op, to be successful breeding and raising bangaii's, you will need to separate them from your display tank.

opps, should have read Todds answer a little better. :)

Last edited:

West Chester Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a breeding pair, the one way to tell the male from the female, Is after well feeding them, under the female you will find two holes Instead of one
under the body, There Is a terrific book out, got mine from "reef to rainforests" its the most comprehensive on Banggais, simply called Banggai Cardinalfish, a guide to captive care, breeding, and natural history

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 66 35.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back