OP
OP
400BA

400BA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The QOTD from R2R today was perfect. I was worried about salt buildup and damage to the walls near the sump so I put up white PVC walls behind and next to the sump. The electrical (3 separate circuits) and plumbing for the sink were run before the walls went up. They need a good cleaning now, but I think they are going to look great.
IMG_2662.jpg
IMG_2663.jpg

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went back and forth on doing this. In the end I just settled on the existing "green board" that was already hung in my garage. I think you made the right call since you are building out the room from scratch.

Oh, and nice tripod.

OP
OP
400BA

400BA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
: ) Thanks, Oberst! I'm a freak for photography as well, so the tripod comes in handy now and again for other projects as well.

I plan to start a cabinet built around the sump later this week and my LFS (Capital Aquariums out of Manassas, VA... they are doing an EXCELLENT job working with me on this!) will begin wiring up the Apex and supporting modules on Thur.

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
: ) Thanks, Oberst! I'm a freak for photography as well, so the tripod comes in handy now and again for other projects as well.

I plan to start a cabinet built around the sump later this week and my LFS (Capital Aquariums out of Manassas, VA... they are doing an EXCELLENT job working with me on this!) will begin wiring up the Apex and supporting modules on Thur.
It seems we quite a bit in common, as I do photography as well. Not as much these days but I used to shoot for several magazines back in the early 2000s. I have some of my old wildlife photos up on my site if you happen to interested. Do you have any of yours online?

OP
OP
400BA

400BA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems we quite a bit in common, as I do photography as well. Not as much these days but I used to shoot for several magazines back in the early 2000s. I have some of my old wildlife photos up on my site if you happen to interested. Do you have any of yours online?
We do have quite a bit in common, don't we?

I would say you are far further along with photography than I have ever been. I'm not published anywhere (other than my office space and home!). It is really just a hobby that I truly enjoy.

What kind of equipment do you use? I have too much invested in the lenses to switch to anything outside of Nikon.

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was and still is a hobby for me as well, I just had a few paid gigs here and there outside of the magazine stuff. Besides some studio style photos of the kids, I don't have any of my photos hanging in the house or my office. Well, I've got some photos of my Jeep trips, but those don't really count cause they are not "photography". lol

I shoot Canon, but most of my gear is pretty old these days. I do understand the whole "trapped by glass" thing though!

OP
OP
400BA

400BA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Made some good progress yesterday and today. I set up the 8020 frame around the sump, leveled everything, and put the 1" PVC sheet countertop on it. I still need to secure the countertop and make the backsplash out of 1/2" PVC as well.

Here are a couple of pics that include the plumbing done so far. Plumbing is color-coded because I KNOW I'll forget what is what later on!
IMG_2680.jpg
IMG_2681.jpg
IMG_2683.jpg
IMG_2684.jpg

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice progress! The sink and cabinet over the sump is an interesting idea, no concerns about trying to work underneath it?

I like your control board layout, it is nice and clean looking. I'm already thinking of ways to improve mine :rolleyes:

joe berkman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every detail on this build is inspiring. I especially like the diferent colered pipes.

DaneGer21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you leave yourself enough room under that sink to work on the sump and equipment? Looks tight…

OP
OP
400BA

400BA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you leave yourself enough room under that sink to work on the sump and equipment? Looks tight…
Yes there is good clearance under there. The countertop is at 45" and the top of the sump is at 21". Thanks for taking a look and providing feedback.

OP
OP
400BA

400BA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guess what showed up yesterday? The tank and stand!

Zack from Capital Aquariums waited at the house for the delivery and inspected everything before signing for the shipment. Its a big one!

Pardon the sloppy pics. I should have taken some shots before we inspected it, but we were both eager to make sure the tank was ok.

Attachments

• IMG_2720.jpg
    IMG_2720.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_2721.jpg
    IMG_2721.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_2722.jpg
    IMG_2722.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 80
Back