Bar Room Entertainment

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whoa. My notifications got a little behind. Or maybe I finally went on some vacations that we deferred for this/that.

Looking good. You doing anything to build up the bacteria diversity community on the startup? Some live rock additions? IPSF.com stuff? Or are you one of those SUPER patient folks that can wait it all out for a year or two?

OP
OP
400BA

400BA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whoa. My notifications got a little behind. Or maybe I finally went on some vacations that we deferred for this/that.

Looking good. You doing anything to build up the bacteria diversity community on the startup? Some live rock additions? IPSF.com stuff? Or are you one of those SUPER patient folks that can wait it all out for a year or two?
I certainly don't want to wait a year or so! I'm using Microbacter7 right now and someone is suggesting another of their products but I haven't gone that way yet. Also added a bunch of copepods.

Do you have other suggestions??

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I certainly don't want to wait a year or so! I'm using Microbacter7 right now and someone is suggesting another of their products but I haven't gone that way yet. Also added a bunch of copepods.

Do you have other suggestions??
I am a huge proponent of live rock. You just get through the "uglies" so much faster and can keep SPS pretty much from the get go. I am an acroholic so waiting on the biome to develop for 12-18 months is just too boring.

Yeah, you are risking the import of of nuisance pests (vermetids, aiptasia, bryopsis, yada yada) but every time you put a new living thing in there you are also risking the same. In the end, you pretty much end up in the same place -- biological diversity -- which generally include some set of pests.

In the last build I did, we kinda took it to an extreme with 200lbs of mixed sump rock from my LFS systems. Within 3-4 weeks we had the tank stocked completely with mixed reef including acropora, montipora, hydno, branching hammers, torches, zoanthids, everything. I had only one species (pavona maldevensis) that did not like it.

Got it wet end of May, and still no uglies. Had a small bout with dinoflagellates but just dosed up some nitrates & phosphates and added more fish and it was quickly gone.

Jonathan Adams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

Starting off a new build. I'm very excited and am still in the "planning" and "ordering" phases, but thought I'd let you all know what is planned so far and hopefully get feedback on some of the steps along the way. Here are a few particulars:

Tank and sump
- 6' W x 5' D x 2' H Planet Aquariums Tank with steel stand - will be placed on the basement level of our home in a bar room.
- 6' W x 2' D x 2' H MRC sump fitted with a fleece roller, in-sump UV, Bubble King skimmer and refugium - will be located in storage room behind back wall of tank (soon to be called the "fish room" when The Management gets used to the idea.
- Base will be wrapped with woodworking matching the bar (white oak)
- Top will be wrapped similar to the base but will have a frame of 8020 extrusions ("Adult erector set")

Tank Monitoring/Control
- Neptune Apex
- Trident
- DOS or Versa (still deciding)
- Red dragon pump for skimmer and either red dragon or Vectra for return

Lights
- Currently want to use Radion G5s, but if timing is right might also consider Neptune Sky??
- Not sure how many yet. Might need to talk with Ecotech and LFS to determine layout.

Flow
- 4 Vortech P60 placed on back wall of tank (returns at opposite end hidden by tank top)

Miscellaneous
- Sand bottom
- Real Reef rock
- Mixed reef tank. I haven't kept corals before so I will start slowly with only the hardiest of corals and a good cleanup crew of fish and inverts.

I've ordered the tank and sump so far and have begun purchasing some of the necessary supporting items (extension cords, heaters, water storage tanks, etc.). This will move slowly as I wait for the tank and sump to arrive and gather other items, then explode at a fevered pace as I work like an idiot to get it all done!

If you all are interested I am happy to share graphics of the stand and top wrappings as well as photos of the room and tank placement.

Looking forward to talking with you all along the way,

Mike
Following! I like your equipment list and your workflow is like mine lol. Im about to order my tank and sump. Quick question how did you deci on your skimmer and return pump, there's so many choices I'm overwhelmed!

OP
OP
400BA

400BA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following! I like your equipment list and your workflow is like mine lol. Im about to order my tank and sump. Quick question how did you deci on your skimmer and return pump, there's so many choices I'm overwhelmed!
Thank you, Jonathan! Please share what you have planned so we can follow along with you also!

Simon Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Football Nfl GIF by Carolina Panthers

90reefernyc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then, we completed the second return line plumbing, plumbed the UV on that line and started up the second return pump (another Vectra that pumps through the UV and the two return pumps act as backups for each other.

Lastly, I took a couple more pics of the control board as we continue to connect all the equipment. Just noticed that we added the battery backups for the Ecotech units above the control board and connected them.

Tomorrow I hope to work on the LED lights that illuminate the boards, below control boards to shine on the countertop, and below the countertop to illuminate the sump.
nice clean work!
Where do you find the white plugs with the cord that you used on the EB8?

OP
OP
400BA

400BA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice clean work!
Where do you find the white plugs with the cord that you used on the EB8?
Hi 90,

I ordered the plugs off of Amazon and got the cord from another online vendor. I made them up myself… tedious work but worth it in my opinion!

I’ll see if I can find the website for the cord if you are interested.

dcmartinpc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spectacular build! I’m a year in to my 600G build and I am absolutely DONE with filter socks. How do you like the MRC Infiniti? I’m seriously considering ordering one.

OP
OP
400BA

400BA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spectacular build! I’m a year in to my 600G build and I am absolutely DONE with filter socks. How do you like the MRC Infiniti? I’m seriously considering ordering one.
I love the MRC Infinity. Extremely quiet, set it and forget it, and lasts a long time. It has been running for two months and I am still less than halfway done with the roll.

Taking a look at what gets caught in the fleece is “disgustingly mesmerizing.” You know what it is, you can’t believe it would have stayed/decayed in your system, and you can’t NOT look at it.

Disgusting… and yet very cool.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the MRC Infinity. Extremely quiet, set it and forget it, and lasts a long time. It has been running for two months and I am still less than halfway done with the roll.

Taking a look at what gets caught in the fleece is “disgustingly mesmerizing.” You know what it is, you can’t believe it would have stayed/decayed in your system, and you can’t NOT look at it.

Disgusting… and yet very cool.
You can learn a LOT about a tank with a close look at a filter sock.

OP
OP
400BA

400BA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what is the latest, sir?
Hi Monkiboy,

Thanks for checking in. its been a while since I posted as I've been dealing with a few family/personal issues.

However, the tank hasn't missed a beat and is providing me with a ton of relaxation and entertainment.

I got all the rock in and began adding coral and fish 3 - 4 months ago. It ran for quite a bit of time on its own allowing for cycling and I wanted to make sure it was really ready.

I started out with mushrooms and they did well. I added a bunch of Zoas and they did really well.

I started off with two pairs of clownfish and immediately lost one of the males (found him in the sump the next day). Zack from Capital Aquariums snagged me a nice bubble tip anemone and the three remaining clowns are being happily hosted there and in a nearby gonipora.

Let me see if I can list the majority of the corals and fish, and then I'll try to take some pictures soon and send them along as well.

Corals:
Red Goni (10" diameter when fully opened)
Green Goni (9" diameter)
Green Goni (4" diameter)
6-7 different zoas of varying colors but none of the strangely named and popular ones
8 or so different acans
Red Cynarina
Blue Cynarina (VERY cool)
Large branching hammer coral (simply green and nice looking)
3 torches of varying size
3 acanthopyllia, two smaller and one about 9" across when fully opened
5-6 different types of mushrooms of different colors (two bounce that are growing and spitting out babies like crazy)

Fish:
3 Bimac Anthias
2 swallowtail angelfish
2 Watanabei angelfish
2 pyramid butterfly fish
5 tiny tiny yellow tangs
1 large black tang
1 BEAUTIFUL purple tang
1 gem tang
1 hippo tang
7 zebra bar gobies
3 clownfish
1 bluestar wrasse
1 pink wrasse that I can't recall the name of right now.

Also added a Red Sea 350 as an additional tank for quarantine

I've had some issues with corals dying slowly after they've been with me a while. Looking into that now.

Thanks again for checking in!

OP
OP
400BA

400BA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Monkiboy,

Thanks for checking in. its been a while since I posted as I've been dealing with a few family/personal issues.

However, the tank hasn't missed a beat and is providing me with a ton of relaxation and entertainment.

I got all the rock in and began adding coral and fish 3 - 4 months ago. It ran for quite a bit of time on its own allowing for cycling and I wanted to make sure it was really ready.

I started out with mushrooms and they did well. I added a bunch of Zoas and they did really well.

I started off with two pairs of clownfish and immediately lost one of the males (found him in the sump the next day). Zack from Capital Aquariums snagged me a nice bubble tip anemone and the three remaining clowns are being happily hosted there and in a nearby gonipora.

Let me see if I can list the majority of the corals and fish, and then I'll try to take some pictures soon and send them along as well.

Corals:
Red Goni (10" diameter when fully opened)
Green Goni (9" diameter)
Green Goni (4" diameter)
6-7 different zoas of varying colors but none of the strangely named and popular ones
8 or so different acans
Red Cynarina
Blue Cynarina (VERY cool)
Large branching hammer coral (simply green and nice looking)
3 torches of varying size
3 acanthopyllia, two smaller and one about 9" across when fully opened
5-6 different types of mushrooms of different colors (two bounce that are growing and spitting out babies like crazy)

Fish:
3 Bimac Anthias
2 swallowtail angelfish
2 Watanabei angelfish
2 pyramid butterfly fish
5 tiny tiny yellow tangs
1 large black tang
1 BEAUTIFUL purple tang
1 gem tang
1 hippo tang
7 zebra bar gobies
3 clownfish
1 bluestar wrasse
1 pink wrasse that I can't recall the name of right now.

Also added a Red Sea 350 as an additional tank for quarantine

I've had some issues with corals dying slowly after they've been with me a while. Looking into that now.

Thanks again for checking in!
Oh! I almost forgot:

6 Court Jesters
1 Quoyi parrotfish with a ton of personality and color!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back