OP
OP
Gaspipe

Gaspipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, talking about rock steady parameters... tested alkalinity today and again: 7.3dKH

This is my diary I am keeping track of this below. BTW I am dosing 1ml Trace elements by hand. This weekend I will test all my parameters and manually dose 2 part to increase alkalinity and calcium.

Alkalinity:

Mar 20: 7.9 dKH
Mar 21: 7.8 dKH
Mar 22: 7.3 dKH
Mar 23: 7.3 dKH
Mar 24: 7.3 dKH

AVG Consumption: .3 dKH per day

Dose Mixture:
.5 Gallons RODI
.5 TBS Kalk (2 flat plastic spoons)

Dose Kalk:
190 ml per day

Container:
3/22: 1892 max
3/23: 1702 ml
3/24: 1512 ml

OP
OP
Gaspipe

Gaspipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Parameter Update:

Alkalinity:

Mar 20: 7.9 dKH
Mar 21: 7.8 dKH
Mar 22: 7.3 dKH
Mar 23: 7.3 dKH
Mar 24: 7.3 dKH
Mar 25: 6.7 dKH

AVG Consumption: .3 dKH per day

Dose Mixture:
.5 Gallons RODI
.5 TBS Kalk (2 flat plastic spoons)

Dose:
190 ml Kalk per day
1ml Trace elements

Container:
3/22: 1892 max
3/23: 1702 ml
3/24: 1512 ml
3/25: 1322 ml

Little upset that my dKH dropped by .6 even with 190ml overnight dose.

Plan of Action:
  • Do not change anything Sat, Sun into Monday at Noon
  • Test alkalinity Sunday and Monday at Noon
  • Monday 1pm manual dose 2 ml Part 1&2
  • Test remainder of week
Thoughts:
Perhaps I tested inaccurately. Sunday I will be testing all my parameters and will test alkalinity with Salifert & Hanna. I use the Salifert daily and the Hanna weekly when I test other parameters.

OP
OP
Gaspipe

Gaspipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cheeto (clown) isn't himself this morning. He's hanging low in the corner and was NOT the first to race to the surface to eat. He actually didn't eat much. Bit strange.

Will continue to monitor.

OP
OP
Gaspipe

Gaspipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cheeto still not eating. Day 3.

I have tried frozen (reef frenzy & mysis) as well as two different pellets ( SA Hatchery diet and Neptune CD).

I added three fish on Wed March 22.

Zero aggression and everyone is fine.

Sat March 25th I noticed Cheeto was low on floor (not laying but hoovering close to bottom) in the rear. Not his usual spot. Then when I saw he wasn't eating a red light turned on.

Thanos the Royal Gramma is doing fine, swimming and eating. The 3 new fish are all doing fine, even the timid TSB is out grazing.

Hope Cheeto turns around. He does have a big belly so def. not under nourished.

Could she be prego from a baby clown that was in the tank for 3-4 days, like 45 days ago?

OP
OP
Gaspipe

Gaspipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 4 now, Cheeto still not eating. :(

I am medicating the food as per @Humblefish receipe.

3/29 Day 5 not eating (but did poop. Long string and white)
3/30 Day 6 ate small amount
3/31 Day 7 she ate as normal, raced to the surface.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gaspipe

Gaspipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, it's been nearly a year since my last update.

I've got quite the fish tale to share. Honestly, luck hasn't been on my side when it comes to fishkeeping.

Once upon a time, I had a stunning clownfish named Cheeto. He was my first fish, and I adored him. Alongside Cheeto, I had a Royal Gamma and a Storki Damsel. Unfortunately, the damsel lived up to its reputation and bullied the Royal Gamma. Frustrated, I rehomed the damsel to a local reefer in NJ, hoping for better luck.

Next, I brought home a Tailspot Blenny and a baby clown. Within a mere 48 hours, both were dead. Talk about a letdown.

Undeterred, I added an Orange Back Wrasse, another Tailspot Blenny, and a Firefish to the tank after a few weeks. Then tragedy struck again - Cheeto passed away. I was devastated.

Meanwhile, the Royal Gamma continued its bullying ways, now targeting the new Tailspot Blenny, whom I affectionately nicknamed Mr. Beaks. Despite feeling sorry for him, Mr. Beaks managed to stay out of the Royal Gamma's reach.

Things took a turn when the Firefish also passed away. Left with a Tailspot Blenny, Royal Gamma, and Orange Back Wrasse, I found myself growing fond of the Wrasse, who seemed to establish himself as the peacekeeper in the tank.

Deciding to expand the tank's inhabitants, I ordered a Blue Tang, a Helfrich Firefish, and a Red Head Solon Wrasse from an online vendor. However, introducing these new fish proved disastrous. The Tailspot Blenny went into a frenzy, relentlessly chasing the newcomers. The Blue Tang fought back but ultimately perished, and the Helfrich Firefish suffered constant harassment.

Meanwhile, the once-bully Royal Gamma began displaying distressing behavior, hiding in the zoa garden with its tail up and head down. Shortly after, it passed away.

To address the aggression issues, I attempted to isolate the troublesome Tailspot Blenny, first in the tank's rear chamber and then in an isolation box. However, the bullying persisted, leading me to consider rehoming the aggressor.

Despite my efforts, the situation worsened. The Helfrich Firefish went missing, and despite thorough searching, I couldn't locate its body. Frustrated and angry, I blamed Mr. Beaks for the disappearance. This afternoon I see the Hellfrich but it's scared of Mr. Beaks. I don't take any chances and place the HellF in the rear for now.

In a last-ditch effort to restore harmony to the tank, I plan to remove the Tailspot Blenny this weekend and find it a new home.

This hobby sure has its challenges.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 20.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 11 14.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 39 52.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.5%
Back