Basement pump help for a 250 gallon tank.

OP
OP
Z

Zombie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are two filter socks, two returns to the sump. If I am pumping 1000 gph to the display on the second floor, 500 gph will return into the skimmer side and 500 gph will return to the refugium side. 1000 gph will go through the refugium. Both sumps will flow right to left.

zombie-albums-my-120g-reef-picture22736-sumps.jpg

OP
OP
Z

Zombie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OH... those two white balloon looking things are the filter socks. LOL...

One of them is to the right of the skimmer.
:nerd:

OP
OP
Z

Zombie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided to run the refugium in the sump so I can line up 40 breeders on the bench for grow outs. The sumps will be on the floor.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OH... those two white balloon looking things are the filter socks. LOL...

One of them is to the right of the skimmer.
:nerd:
I figured that much out lol... Maybe the picture is to big for my phone.. It cuts off right next to the skimmer I don't see a sock in the sump with the skimmer... Maybe that's why where both confused haha...

nvfishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is pretty much how my sumps are set up now. I will try to get a pic

I have 2 100 gallon vats tied together with a 3" piece of abs. water drops into both sides, but plumbed to drop into only one if I decied to take one sump off line.

Only problem I had once was a giant ball of cheoto cloged the pipe inbetween the 2 sumps . I put egg crate to stop this from happening and late rmoved the cheato to a 15 gallon and 55gallon connected to the system 15 gallon over the sump

IMG_7182.jpg

IMG_7181.jpg

Last edited:

BHHOWARD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Sedra 3500 pump that comes with the G-2 ony processes 350 gph. The G-3 and G-4 both use Sedra 5000 pump and it processes 500 gph. I agree with Jagermeister. IMO I would target the amount of flow from the display to the sump to match the volume the skimmer pump can handle. Pick a pressure-rated pump that will handle the head-height you wil have from your basement. You can compensate for the flow in the display with additional powerheads. If you have a concern about over-skimming, you could have a night-cycle where the skimmer is not running. This would allow for the plankton to not be skimmed at night. With the reduced flow, you could consolidate to a single sump or use both sumps and drain into the sump with the skimmer as Troylee suggested and still be safe with the single connection between the two sumps. As a backup, you could add a secondary connection above the current connection between the sumps. You can run a second pump for your refugium and your prop tanks in the basement and still use less electricty than a single larger pump.

OP
OP
Z

Zombie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think there will be too much flow trying to fit through a 1" ID hose. I put the refugium in the pump side to avoid the possibility of blocking the hose between the sumps. Unless I drill another hole in both the sumps I know it will overflow the skimmer side the way it is now. If I am flowing around 400 to 500 gph in the skimmer side then I may go with a g3 skimmer.

I am running two sumps to eliminate air bubbles from the skimmer and returns from getting to the return pump/s. The skimmer sump is using the 4' distance to the 1" pass through and the refugium side is using baffles. Also only having one return in the refugium side will cut down on half the air bubbles that will have to be removed on that side.

The best way would be to have both returns in the skimmer side but I am limited by the diameter of the connection between the sumps. I had to compensate for this by splitting the returns.

Last edited:

BHHOWARD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see your issue now. A 1 inch hole will handle a maximum of 600gph. You will want to allow for less than maximum flow rate. If it was my installation, I would not compromise on design of the filtration system as this can only lead to issues that will be more difficult to solve once the system is operational. The two easiest options would be: 1) drill over the existing 1 inch hole in each sump and increase the size to a point you would feel comfortable (say 1.5 inch). 2) As an alternative or in addition to number 1, add a secondary hole above or next to the existing hole in each sump. A single connection increases your risk for failure. You might want to consider a float switch to stop your return pump if the water in the first sump reaches a certain height.

OP
OP
Z

Zombie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just increased the hole sizes for larger fittings today with a grinder so I can use an 1.5" hose to connect them. I am putting the sump refugiums together now because I have to remodel the house before I order the display tank.
I have to do hard wood floors, ceilings, paint, tank, sump room, move a 125 gallon reef and move my stuff in less then three months.
I still haven't even finished buying the house.
:neutral:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Z

Zombie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need opinions...

I just got a slightly used DOLPHIN AMPMASTER 3000. I may have saved a few 100 bucks but if these are junk I will buy something better later.
I know they have seal problems from time to time but you can rebuild them and install a new better seal.
I only want about 1200 to 1500 gph at the tank.
The tank will have power heads in it for more flow.

Dolphin 3000 Aqua Sea Amp Master External Pump

Last edited:
OP
OP
Z

Zombie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided to go with an ASM G3 skimmer. Just picked one up used but like new cheap.

LegoZ81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running a hammerhead gold for my whole system if you have plans for a fragtanks or other tanks and want one pump this is a VERY good pump for the power it uses.

Mine runs about 280w and has max flow of 5200gph.

you can throttle it back to save power, before I added several more feeds to other tanks I was running 230w.

OP
OP
Z

Zombie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to run this Dolphin pump because I got it for 100 bucks. If or WHEN I change it I think I will run a hammerhead.

I have a used 500 gph mag drive pump I am running for the frag tank.
I'm trying to do the fish room, sump, tank rack and frag setup as cheap and as FREE as I can. I'm trying to keep it all under 500 bucks, not including the lights for the frag tank but I think I may trade some nice halides for some new leds. I got a trash picked counter top that will be over the sumps to hold the one 40 breeder and future breeders. I am using a lot of obtainium in the basement. All the tanks, even the basement lighting for the fish room were free. It is amazing what people throw away.

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 37 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back