Basement sump dry fit plymbing.

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's what I have. I will be moving the outlet up about 10 inches and using an outdoor cover so that you can ignore. I am going to get hangers as well to help support the drain line. Othe than that see anything I'm missing?
_20200225_180843.JPG

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha thanks!

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone else see anything i may be missing? plan on gluing it this afternoon......

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not recommend a check valve as they are known to fail. Ensure there is enough sump capacity for the display tank to drain without overflowing the sump even if a check valve is installed. A siphon break should be used on the return pipe to ensure that air quickly breaks the siphon. It is easy to maintain a siphon break as its just a small hole 1/8"-1/4" drilled in the return with an optional piece of tubing that is just above the waterline of the display tank. As long as water is running out of the siphon break while the pump is running it should work. I would also consider making a sump tank cover to reduce evaporation and salt spray.

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not recommend a check valve as they are known to fail. Ensure there is enough sump capacity for the display tank to drain without overflowing the sump even if a check valve is installed. A siphon break should be used on the return pipe to ensure that air quickly breaks the siphon. It is easy to maintain a siphon break as its just a small hole 1/8"-1/4" drilled in the return with an optional piece of tubing that is just above the waterline of the display tank. As long as water is running out of the siphon break while the pump is running it should work. I would also consider making a sump tank cover to reduce evaporation and salt spray.
Thanks Alex, I didn't put a check valve on because of the research i read about possible failure. The Sump is a 40g Breeder and the display is a 65g low boy (48 *24 *12)so we should be good with the overflow. A siphon break has been installed on the return pipe as well sorry i didnt show it. I also have some plexi glass that i can use as a cover. It wont be a full cover but i would say 50 -75% of the sump will have a cover on it in some capacity.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 37 34.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 29 27.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back