Bass Pro Shops Aquarium

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi folks,

Wanted to post a short bit on the new Bass Pro aquarium tour. Went yesterday... sorry, I didn't take photos, but...

$30, kids $20. Expensive? Yeah, I thought so too. Happily, a friend and fellow reefer has season passes, and we were able to get through without the minor inconvenience of actually having to pay for it :)

Lines: At 10am on a rainy Sunday morning, we walked right in. I understand lines can be around the building... guess we got lucky.

Entryway has several fairly impressive tank views, many of the same tanks are visible from different angles throughout the half mile or so of walkways.

Big tanks... many of them... and various 'other' things to look at.

The highlight for me was a large circular tank with a big school of silver baitfish. Dimly lit. A pair of small scalloped hammerheads in with them. Very dramatic. No idea what sort of baitfish they were... herring, perhaps. View-able near the top, near the bottom, and from a dome directly under the tank.

Unexpected: Otters, always fun. Black bear, beaver... odd to see these critters in such a display. A few snakes, alligators, other reptiles and amphibians. Bald eagle, a pair of owls... One osage copperhead in a small, dark corner, with his cage BELOW floor level, a bit of acrylic over it, so you can walk over him. Since we have osage copperheads around my house, it was a bit disturbing :)

Shipwreck room, cylinder tank, probably 20 feet in diameter, 30 feet tall or so. All sorts of marine fish. Surrounded by a large, low, open top stingray 'petting' tank.

Freshwater: Gar, spoonbill, sturgeon, peacock bass, large mouth bass, crappie, walleye, muskie... from huge catfish to tiny neon tetras. Some very nice planted display tanks.

Marine: From Goliath groupers to various sharks (a very pretty leopard shark), to common marine tank features (cardinals, clowns, etc) to some that I can't identify (there was one school of small, odd looking long nosed, heavy bodied fish in a crab tank with some giant deep sea spider crabs that I'd like to ID...) Even some common fish at not so common sizes... a dog faced puffer about 2 feet long, a clown trigger that had to be 18". Gorgeous queen angel in full, adult scale and splendor.

Kids stuff: Many 'photo op' points, acrylic bubbles to stand in for pics, a big set of artificial shark jaws, that sort of thing. At the end, there's a place where kids can color a picture of a fish, have it scanned, and then it's projected on a huge screen swimming around. My four year old grandson had a blast.

Stuffed/Simulated Lots of very, very large tuna, sharks, swordfish, sawfish, et al. All the way up to a pair of full sized humpback whales.

Fishing exhibits, including President Bush's 'Bass Force One', tackle and gear from many generations, I didn't spend much time examining it, but there's a lot of it, if that's your thing.

I wasn't willing to spend the $30 per... after walking through, it would have been worth the price. Took us just over 2 hours, with a 4 year old that has a normal 4 year old attention span :) I'd have probably stayed about twice that long, had he not been along.

I did not do the other 'side' of the museum, which focuses on mammals. I probably will at some point. I understand there is a penguin exhibit...

Years behind schedule, cost overruns are something of a local legend, but I must admit, it's an impressive exhibit!

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where is this at, never heared about it

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's awesome! Springfield Missouri has always been on my travel destination list because of the bass pro HQ (I have this thing about visiting every bass pro I'm near, 11 and counting!). Now that this is open and getting good reviews I have even more of a reason to visit, will have to be in the summer though because I don't tolerate cold weather or snow very well :)

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
$30 for a day pass would be worth the visit, looks like they spent a ton. The Kids are the real winners, I can see school busses all lined up

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is one cool tank!!! ;Jawdrop

8uuI8jE.gif

OP
OP
Greybeard

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is one cool tank!!! ;Jawdrop

Gif doesn't do it justice. Can't even see the 10' wide round stingray tank that surrounds the base. Could have stood around it for hours. My friend Lonnie and I were just watching... look! Queen Angel! Spanish Hogfish! Clown Trigger! Impressive, yes indeed.

And still, IMHO, _not_ the most impressive tank on the tour.

OP
OP
Greybeard

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's awesome! Springfield Missouri has always been on my travel destination list because of the bass pro HQ (I have this thing about visiting every bass pro I'm near, 11 and counting!). Now that this is open and getting good reviews I have even more of a reason to visit, will have to be in the summer though because I don't tolerate cold weather or snow very well :)

I was camping up around Lake Ozark from the 14th thru the 21'st this month. 70-90f highs, 40-50f lows, excepting one night of rain, it was dry and sunny... great camping weather. Honestly, I could have stood it to be a bit cooler. 80's at the firing range is a bit warm for me. Guy there from Texas complained about being cold all week :)

Summertime brings big crowds, especially on the weekends.

Johnny Morris has vowed to make sure that _this_ location, their home base, is always a little bigger, a little nicer, a little more impressive, than any of the other Bass Pro locations. Stepped it up big time this go round. The NRA national firearms museum is INSIDE the shop, as well, and that one is free.

http://www.nramuseum.com/museums/national-sporting-arms-museum.aspx

I'm about 40 minutes north of Springfield, and honestly, try to stay away as much as possible, but the Bass Pro is worth a visit once in a while.

Dancingmad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hold up - there were penguins and you didn't check them out? But they got all dressed up in their formal apparel and you didn't even show!

OP
OP
Greybeard

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Penguins were on the other side of the tour... Between my aching feet, any my 4 year old grandson's flagging interest, well... it was time to go home.

Some other time.

OP
OP
Greybeard

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife finally shared a few photos, I wanted to share one of the tank I was most impressed with.

There's a pair of scalloped hammerheads in there, keeping the baitfish balling... Mesmerizing.

Schooling.jpg

OP
OP
Greybeard

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's one of my grandson in front of one of the big tanks...

BigTank.jpg

Not everything that is interesting has to be huge, this was probably a 60g tank...
Seahorse.jpg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 6.1%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back