Battery backups!

VB313

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
first snowstorm and small power outage this morning tank didn’t drop temp much but really got me worried bout future outages what do you use for battery backups ? How long do they really last? What do you run just powerhead and heater?

dugthefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following. Average winter lows are in teens and single digits in my location, considering buying a small generator for the occasional several-hour power outages we experience.

OP
OP
VB313

VB313

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
generator would be nice but definitely not a option for my situation yet

Daniel Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maintaining some sort of flow is the first priority for a tank in a power outage. I use a vortech battery backup for my MP40's. It recently had to run 18 hours for a power outage due to a storm in my area. This occurred while I was on vacation! The temperature on my tank went from 78 to as low as 73 during that time period, but I did not suffer any losses.

To deal with an extended power outage that might last say 24 to 36 hours, I also have an inverter available that I can run off my car battery. I would obviously need to be at home to use this. For more extended outages, you really need a generator. Even a small generator can be a life saver for a tank. Return pumps typically don't require that much wattage, so a generator could keep your pumps going very easily. If you want something to maintain your lighting systems and heat, you would need a little larger generator as those systems require a lot more wattage.

I guess a lot of it really depends on where you live and the likely scenario you might encounter as far as length of power outage. I'm in an area that I don't really have to worry about earthquakes, hurricanes, or snow storms, so a power outage of more than a day for me is less likely than other areas of the country.

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Battery operated air pumps are my first line of defense for a power outage. Everyone at my house knows how to deploy them during a power outage as a first step. I also have a backup propane generator that gets deployed in the event of an extended power outage. If you have water flow pumps that accept a battery backup they are also an option.

krash7172

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long can a typical reef tank go without water flow (oxygen)? I know this is a subjective question but I've had all water flow turned off for well over an hour while fragging and no problem. I got a DeWalt power station for Christmas. I'm testing it now. I can get about 5 hrs with basic pump, light and heater and high capacity batteries. I'm thinking pump only will be about double. This is not a gas generator. It uses standard 20v Dewalt cordless tool batteries. It's silent and works indoors.

krash7172

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We could also use a cheap timer like this one to run our battery backup periodically rather than 100%. Run the pump/air stone 30 mins on and 30 mins off for example would double the battery life. A heavily stocked tank may need like 90 mins on and 30 off or the opposite for a lightly stocked tank. In any case this might help save a tank.

IMG_20190102_230719.jpg

Daniel Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long can a typical reef tank go without water flow (oxygen)? I know this is a subjective question but I've had all water flow turned off for well over an hour while fragging and no problem. I got a DeWalt power station for Christmas. I'm testing it now. I can get about 5 hrs with basic pump, light and heater and high capacity batteries. I'm thinking pump only will be about double. This is not a gas generator. It uses standard 20v Dewalt cordless tool batteries. It's silent and works indoors.
Hmmm....I have no exact idea. Obviously stocking levels will impact the time quite a bit. I've had tanks off for 3 or 4 hours with no issues. I wonder if the impact to the fish is first or possibly to the biological filter (i.e. aerobic bacteria)?

krash7172

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So maybe using a simple timer could greatly extend backup battery life? It would have to run long enough to replenish oxygen levels ofc. And this is emergency scenario...

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 deep cycle marine batteries, each with their own trickle charger. They are connected in parallel. they hang off a 5000 WATT inverter with a 110 volt auto transfer switch. I get about a day out of them with everything running. But when the heater comes on, it will shorten the life of the battery.

After that, it is a Honda 3000 generator.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 135 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back