Battlecorals Snipes Blue Discussion Thread

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

kurtp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Earliest pic I could find was middle of March this year. So I've had it 5 months or so. Seems to be gaining girth over height so far. Pic from March;
Screenshot_20180812-131540.png
MTBake, your image is reassuring. I was concerned that the lighter color of the coralite tips of my contest frag could have been signs of stress due to the shipping delay, but it looks pretty similar to what I see in your image....

This is the closest I could get to the actual colors with my IPhone. I had just finished epoxying and gluing the frag to my rockwork and the polyps were still visible when I snapped this photo.
Sniperscolor.jpg

I mounted my frag yesterday. It is about mid-tank, a little more than halfway up from the bottom (9 inches below the water level). I usually like to remove frags from plugs to mount them, but Adam must use some kind of amazing glue. I couldn't cut through it on the other frags in my battlebox so I didn't even try with the snipers as I damaged some of the tissue on the GARF when I tried to remove it from the plug. I had to tweek the image pretty hard to be able to even see the frag in this FTS...

SnipersSpot.jpg

I kept having trouble getting the gradations to show up on the translucent ruler I used in my official entry photo so I found an opaque plastic ruler, trimmed off the excess beyond the Zero mark and tried to orient the frag so that its current branches showed up better. While not my official entry measurement photo here is the baseline shot where the frag is going to stay to grow out for the contest (or die trying). If I leave frags in racks, or just stick the plugs into a hole in the rockwork, I can't help myself and keep moving them around, in a seemingly never-ending pursuit to find that frag's 'sweet spot.' This, of course only stresses the frag, always trying to re-acclimate itself. So I left this guy in the rack at the bottom of the tank for 4 days due to the shipping delay and then glued him in place.

Mounted Snipers.jpg

I was able to get the ruler right down ontop of the plug and adjusting for the remnant of the ruler below the zero mark I think that 2.8 cm is a fairly accurate reading.

This is a really nice coral and seems to be very resilient (if PE is a good measure of that). I can't wait to see the other entries. After reviewing others' threads and the Vivid Rainbow contest I am viewing this endeavor more like playing the lottery....No reasonable chance of winning, but still fun to do. Plus, I am sure I'll learn a bunch and hopefully become a better aquarist.

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MTBake, your image is reassuring. I was concerned that the lighter color of the coralite tips of my contest frag could have been signs of stress due to the shipping delay, but it looks pretty similar to what I see in your image....

This is the closest I could get to the actual colors with my IPhone. I had just finished epoxying and gluing the frag to my rockwork and the polyps were still visible when I snapped this photo.
Sniperscolor.jpg

I mounted my frag yesterday. It is about mid-tank, a little more than halfway up from the bottom (9 inches below the water level). I usually like to remove frags from plugs to mount them, but Adam must use some kind of amazing glue. I couldn't cut through it on the other frags in my battlebox so I didn't even try with the snipers as I damaged some of the tissue on the GARF when I tried to remove it from the plug. I had to tweek the image pretty hard to be able to even see the frag in this FTS...

SnipersSpot.jpg

I kept having trouble getting the gradations to show up on the translucent ruler I used in my official entry photo so I found an opaque plastic ruler, trimmed off the excess beyond the Zero mark and tried to orient the frag so that its current branches showed up better. While not my official entry measurement photo here is the baseline shot where the frag is going to stay to grow out for the contest (or die trying). If I leave frags in racks, or just stick the plugs into a hole in the rockwork, I can't help myself and keep moving them around, in a seemingly never-ending pursuit to find that frag's 'sweet spot.' This, of course only stresses the frag, always trying to re-acclimate itself. So I left this guy in the rack at the bottom of the tank for 4 days due to the shipping delay and then glued him in place.

Mounted Snipers.jpg

I was able to get the ruler right down ontop of the plug and adjusting for the remnant of the ruler below the zero mark I think that 2.8 cm is a fairly accurate reading.

This is a really nice coral and seems to be very resilient (if PE is a good measure of that). I can't wait to see the other entries. After reviewing others' threads and the Vivid Rainbow contest I am viewing this endeavor more like playing the lottery....No reasonable chance of winning, but still fun to do. Plus, I am sure I'll learn a bunch and hopefully become a better aquarist.
Your frag looks healthy and happy to me. I would give your chance of winning more than playing the lottery, lol. I would say more than 1/2 the people didn't post their last months pic in the previous contest and that contest was only 6 months. If you make it to the end of the full year, you have a good chance!

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sniperscolor.jpg

SnipersSpot.jpg

Mounted Snipers.jpg

Frag looks good to me. That anemone looks huge!

kurtp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frag looks good to me. That anemone looks huge!
Thanks. Yes that BTA takes up a lot of real estate, but I am very fond of her. I've had her for over 15 years. I got her when she was the size of a golfball and she immediately anchored to the back of my rockwork and hasn't budged since. Not even when I broke everything down to move from my old 50 gallon tank to my current 120. When the flow from my Jabeos isn't ramped up she's almost all bubble tips and looks awesome. With the high flow she gets a little stringy but still looks nice. I used to worry about her splitting and the clone wandering, but after so much time has gone by I guess that's not likely to happen.
I have had to build little retaining walls with rubble as she grows to keep her off of my old Greg Hiller Aquamarine Jewel that I thought I had placed at a safe distance way back when, but now I give her a (hopefully) wide enough berth with new coral additions .
SPS purists would probably view her as a nusiance. I think of her as the centerpiece of my tank.

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Yes that BTA takes up a lot of real estate, but I am very fond of her. I've had her for over 15 years. I got her when she was the size of a golfball and she immediately anchored to the back of my rockwork and hasn't budged since. Not even when I broke everything down to move from my old 50 gallon tank to my current 120. When the flow from my Jabeos isn't ramped up she's almost all bubble tips and looks awesome. With the high flow she gets a little stringy but still looks nice. I used to worry about her splitting and the clone wandering, but after so much time has gone by I guess that's not likely to happen.
I have had to build little retaining walls with rubble as she grows to keep her off of my old Greg Hiller Aquamarine Jewel that I thought I had placed at a safe distance way back when but now I give her a (hopefully) wide enough bearth.
SPS purists would probably view her as a nusiance. I think of her as a pet and she is the centerpiece of my tank.

I like the story that comes with it even more! Thanks for sharing!

I've always been afraid of adding an anemone because of the wondering. Don't want it stinging my corals, lol. I bet my clowns would love it though.

CNDReef

Formally Toomanyfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Local guy broke down his rock flower anemone tank and I picked it up the 24” for $100 :D

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back