Bayer Dip

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dipping corals that I put in my tank is fairly new to me and I've been using Bayer as a coral dip and so far everything has gone well. Can Bayer be used as a dip for all corals or are there certain types of corals that need a different dip. I'm going to be picking up some corals I'm purchasing from a user on here in a few days and I want to make sure I'm not going to kill any of them by dipping them in the Bayer solution.

Most of the corals that I am getting are acropora and montipora but there are a few zoa/palys, a blasto, and a porites. I'm especially curious about the porites because the only thing I know about them is what I've read over the last week or so. I know they can form a symbiotic relationship with christmas tree worms, but I am assuming the frag I get will not have any. If it does seem to have any I assume dipping it would not be an option unless I'm okay with killing them off to make sure I don't introduce any possible pests to my tank.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dipping corals that I put in my tank is fairly new to me and I've been using Bayer as a coral dip and so far everything has gone well. Can Bayer be used as a dip for all corals or are there certain types of corals that need a different dip. I'm going to be picking up some corals I'm purchasing from a user on here in a few days and I want to make sure I'm not going to kill any of them by dipping them in the Bayer solution.

Most of the corals that I am getting are acropora and montipora but there are a few zoa/palys, a blasto, and a porites. I'm especially curious about the porites because the only thing I know about them is what I've read over the last week or so. I know they can form a symbiotic relationship with christmas tree worms, but I am assuming the frag I get will not have any. If it does seem to have any I assume dipping it would not be an option unless I'm okay with killing them off to make sure I don't introduce any possible pests to my tank.
I have used bayer and never had a problem. I agree though I would not dip Christmas tree worms! If a porites came in with them (major bonus!) I would likely quarantine in a separate system and inspect for pests.

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bayer should be OK for most corals. Yes, it will likely kill off the worms a=or make them bail. Your call on if it is worth it or not. Like @dwest said...

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suspect the porites will not have any Christmas tree worms so I doubt that will be an issue.

I've done some more reading I can't find any reference to certain corals that shouldn't be dipped in it. Hopefully they all survive it.

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dip everything in Bayer and haven't lost anything. Generally I follow the 10ml/L guidelines and do it for about 12-15 minutes.

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you do any other dips or just the Bayer?
I just do the Bayer dip and have found it to be very effective. I know others will have additional dips/etc. in their protocol though. Bayer will not kill everything so you'll want to consider what types of corals you need to treat and what pests are likely to come along with them.

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just do the Bayer dip and have found it to be very effective. I know others will have additional dips/etc. in their protocol though. Bayer will not kill everything so you'll want to consider what types of corals you need to treat and what pests are likely to come along with them.
I know that it won't take care of all pests and I've read that there are some pests that it will kill but it won't kill any eggs from them. In the past I've not always been in the habit of dipping every coral that I add to my tank, but I'm trying to correct my old stupid ways. I'm going to start dipping everything in the Bayer which is at least a start. I'm hoping that plus visual inspection will go a long way in preventing pests.
Thanks

moreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great Info. I always thought bayer was only supposed to be about 5mins. I also have several containers to rinse before going in tank.

Amstar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do what others have stated. I float the corals in the tank to get on the same temp. While they are floating I get water from the tank, pour in enough bayer that it looks like skim milk. I then proceed to remove the corals from their bags, dip in bayer anywhere from 15-20 minutes depending on where they came from (shouldnt matter but we all know it does) - then i move them to a new container of tank water for 5 minutes, and move water around a few times with a turkey baster. i then move them to one final container of clean tank water before I move them to the tank.

Havent had any issues from sytlos, montis, LPS, and high end torchs using bayer

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Do you do any other dips or just the Bayer?
I exclusively use coral RX and polyp lab ALTHOUGH I’ve read numerous success stories with Bauer. Something for weeds in my tank makes me nervous

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something for weeds in my tank makes me nervous
I agree completely but I've used it a few times and other have said it's good so I'm no longer worried about it...too much.
It was also a little weird when I battled low nitrates and I was dosing stump remover. My problem is I'm a cheapskate so if there is a cheaper way of doing something I will usually do it that way.

bruno3047

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For all of you folks nervous about Bayer Advanced Complete as a coral dip. This product has a chemical, Imidacloprid, that attacks the central nervous system. Any creatures without a central nervous system, such as corals, have nothing to worry about.

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For all of you folks nervous about Bayer Advanced Complete as a coral dip. This product has a chemical, Imidacloprid, that attacks the central nervous system. Any creatures without a central nervous system, such as corals, have nothing to worry about.
I've since used bayer enough that I'm no longer worried about using it at all.
Thanks for the info though.

Butcher333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I exclusively dip everything in Bayer. I feel the most comfortable with it, since I’ve never seen anything have a negative reaction to it.

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same as everyone else. Only Bayer... it’s cheap and readily available for me. I use it at about 1ml per oz for anywhere from 7-10 min depending on sensitivity of coral and where I got it from. Always make sure to rinse off with tank water before placing it in your tank

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have corals coming in tomorrow. Plan to use Bayer (10ml/cup for 10-15 min). A rinse/soak in tank water, then a dip in Revive, followed by rinse, followed by reef dip. When the RD is gone, I might switch to coral RX, or unless the iodine in the RD is better?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 33.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 24.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 20 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back