BB 5ft sps tank needs more fish

Syntax1235

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 60x24x25 156 gallon young sps tank that needs more fish. My nitrates are testing at 2 (Red Sea) and p04 is .01 via Hannah ultra low range phosphate. I’m concerned about a potential dino outbreak and more fish might help.

Current Fish:
Bi Color Fox Face
Scopas Tang
Mimic Tang
Kole Tang

All fish are around 3 inches and are fed 2 cubes of Hikari Mega Marine algae (has mysis and algae). I add about 30ml of phyto a couple nights a week, and just started adding a little Reef Chili.

I am looking at suggestions on some new fish additions and thoughts on nitrate and phosphate levels.

Falc!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a slightly smaller tank and i have a lot more fish and still have to dose nitrates to keep from bottoming out. I use neonitro from brightwell, im down to a capful a day. Total of 18 fish and 3 of them are tangs

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 60x24x25 156 gallon young sps tank that needs more fish. My nitrates are testing at 2 (Red Sea) and p04 is .01 via Hannah ultra low range phosphate. I’m concerned about a potential dino outbreak and more fish might help.

Current Fish:
Bi Color Fox Face
Scopas Tang
Mimic Tang
Kole Tang

All fish are around 3 inches and are fed 2 cubes of Hikari Mega Marine algae (has mysis and algae). I add about 30ml of phyto a couple nights a week, and just started adding a little Reef Chili.

I am looking at suggestions on some new fish additions and thoughts on nitrate and phosphate levels.
Some of the wrasses may be a good choice. These feed on a lot and can boost nitrates up a lot.
Cirrhilabrus and Paracheilinus have a relatively high metabolism so may do best when fed 2-3 times a day.

OP
OP
Syntax1235

Syntax1235

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of the wrasses may be a good choice. These feed on a lot and can boost nitrates up a lot.
Cirrhilabrus and Paracheilinus have a relatively high metabolism so may do best when fed 2-3 times a day.
Don’t flasher wrasses burrow? I think the fairy wrasse could work but I’m not sure how many I could add and keep the peace?

OP
OP
Syntax1235

Syntax1235

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a slightly smaller tank and i have a lot more fish and still have to dose nitrates to keep from bottoming out. I use neonitro from brightwell, im down to a capful a day. Total of 18 fish and 3 of them are tangs
I’d like to avoid dosing, but Dinos are worse for sure.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d like to avoid dosing, but Dinos are worse for sure.
Most likely your going to end up dosing at some point. I have a newer sps set up as well with quite a few frags and some LPS. I have to dose nitrates as well as 2 part. Fortunately it's a small amount, 10ml each so I dose manually.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t flasher wrasses burrow? I think the fairy wrasse could work but I’m not sure how many I could add and keep the peace?
Flasher and Fairy Wrasses do not burrow. These form mucous cocoons within with rocks for safety. I have a total of 4 wrasses from both Paracheilinus and Cirrhilabrus in a 4’ tank (I could add a 5th). Really it depends on the rock scape and other fish you’ll want in the future.

OP
OP
Syntax1235

Syntax1235

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flasher and Fairy Wrasses do not burrow. These form mucous cocoons within with rocks for safety. I have a total of 4 wrasses from both Paracheilinus and Cirrhilabrus in a 4’ tank (I could add a 5th). Really it depends on the rock scape and other fish you’ll want in the future.
My “must haves” are a small group of 5 anthias (not sure which species), and a copperband.

what flasher and fairy wrasses do you have? Pros and cons of each?

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 21.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 161 71.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 4.9%
Back