BBQing Reefers - What's on your grill/smoker?

Tony Sini

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope, not at all! I grew up in Florida where smoked kingfish, mackeral, and mullet were darn near staples. I LOVE me some smoked fish dip. . . mmmm.

Now if you were smoking clownfish, that might be a problem. :D
Want to try lionfish

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why BBQ when you can...
78e44fa7c402d87514d2f44f7bb1f4a7.jpg

clm65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody here ever inject Dr Pepper in a Boston Butt? Going to smoke a couple butts this weekend for my son's graduation party. Looking to try something different and hoping for some feedback from people with good taste (which all reefers have, of course)!

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Anybody here ever inject Dr Pepper in a Boston Butt? Going to smoke a couple butts this weekend for my son's graduation party. Looking to try something different and hoping for some feedback from people with good taste (which all reefers have, of course)!

Anyway Butts shouldn't need injection in my opinion they have enough fat tom make them really juicy. I know people who have though.

I am cooking a 14 pounder this weekend from Costco.
I wasn't thinking. Sandy said I should split it but I didn't and was going to cook it all then freeze half of it.

General rule is about a pound a hour at 275 for a butt so that is over 14 to 16 hours and maybe longer. Uggg..
I usually get a 8 pounder from the grocery store or butcher.

Any one know if I split it in two and it will cook faster? It adds to more sides to cook from.

Last edited:

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyway Butts shouldn't need injection in my opinion they have enough fat tom make them really juicy. I know people who have though.

I wasn't thinking. Sandy said I should split it but I didn't and was going to cook it all then freeze half of it.

General rule is about a pound a hour for a butt so that is 14 hours at 275. Uggg..

Any one know if I split it in two and it will cook faster? It adds to more sides to cook from.
Splitting it in half will make it cook faster.

I like to inject a butt with a mixture of apple juice and my rub. Really kicks up the flavor all the way through but you are right, doesn't do a thing for moisture imo.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I like to inject a butt with a mixture of apple juice and my rub. Really kicks up the flavor all the way through but you are right, doesn't do a thing for moisture imo.

Thanks I thought so..

Splitting will make it easier to wrap too...

I like to wrap around 155 internal and remove around 200 internal and rest for a hour plus.

Maybe I should inject one to see if I like it.

Another thing I have seen others do is the butt produces so much juice they drain it off and separate the fat and add the juice back.

Last edited:

clm65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

General rule is about a pound a hour for a butt so that is 14 hours. Uggg..

Yeah, I've only done a couple before, and didn't inject. And it was good. I watch a lot of those BBQ shows, such as BBQ Pitmasters, and sometimes they inject their butts, so I figured I would give it a try. I'll be smoking two of them, so one I will not inject or maybe just some sort of apple juice mixture. That way I can get a good comparison between two methods.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I thought so..

Splitting will make it easier to wrap too...

I like to wrap around 155 internal and remove around 200 internal and rest for a hour plus.

Maybe I should inject one to see if I like it.
I like that splitting it makes more bark, also. You don't want one too small though. My experience is that much under 4 pounds comes up to temp too quickly and the fat doesn't render out very well. You want it big enough for a long, slow temperature rise.

I've never wrapped a pork butt.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah, I've only done a couple before, and didn't inject. And it was good. I watch a lot of those BBQ shows, such as BBQ Pitmasters, and sometimes they inject their butts, so I figured I would give it a try. I'll be smoking two of them, so one I will not inject or maybe just some sort of apple juice mixture. That way I can get a good comparison between two methods.

I have seen their show. I like Killer hogs howtobbqright, he does things extremely similar to me. I have learned allot from him over the years.

clm65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks for the feedback Brew. May try your recipe on one of them. Do you boil it to get the rub to dissolve in the apple juice, or just add it straight?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the feedback Brew. May try your recipe on one of them. Do you boil it to get the rub to dissolve in the apple juice, or just add it straight?
I just add it straight. I like BBQ to be minimal work so I just give it a quick stir before sucking it up into the injector. I feel it adds a similar but distinctly different flavor to the meat by having the non-caramelized rub on the inside. I typically do around a tablespoon of rub into a cup of apple juice for a 6 pound butt.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I like that splitting it makes more bark, also. You don't want one too small though. My experience is that much under 4 pounds comes up to temp too quickly and the fat doesn't render out very well. You want it big enough for a long, slow temperature rise.

I've never wrapped a pork butt.

Yea my friends don't either.
I think wrapping to me makes it a little more tender for pulled pork, less smoke flavor for sure and seems to cook a little faster.
Also butts seem to be different wrapping with butcher paper vs foil. Boy they make a mess out of butcher paper.

I like it cooked both ways but I have always wrapped.

Last edited:

Maacc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a little unorthodox with my injection, I make a reduction with cheap bourbon, butter and rub. It's definitely not necessary but I enjoy how it comes out.

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody smoke bluefish? Going though a run here in Nj and tried to smoke some but didn’t turn out that well. Lol. Any decent recipes?

clm65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody smoke bluefish? Going though a run here in Nj and tried to smoke some but didn’t turn out that well. Lol. Any decent recipes?
I grew up in NJ and that was about all we caught back then. I don't know if there is any recipe that would make them taste good (IME, of course). But they were fun to catch.

Medic58

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t inject it with anything. Just hickory and Apple wood and a good rub. It will stand on its own

OP
OP
gcarroll

gcarroll

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice cool California morning is a good this to smoke my favorite thing!

I hit up Costco for some cheese.
5e06a709eb4275b0872f45647672c0c9.jpg

Cut the wax off the Gouda.
7cd7f81b7f4fd40679cb193477b3c4c4.jpg

Put it on the racks.
87176acc7c2c2cc8387bed46ca2adb28.jpg

Pop it in the smoker!
b98890c3d200904f47666ed0b3f5ad6b.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back