BBQing Reefers - What's on your grill/smoker?

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What kind a grill is that?

It is a Campchef pellet smoker. The model is specially made for Dick's sporting goods.
Basically it specially made for them and is basically the DLX model with the higher end SG parts.
It adds things like two probes and direct grilling the dlx does not have.

The nice features Campchef gills have over others is it has a trap door at the bottom of the firepot to empty the ashes which means allot less cleaning. Also these have a hopper clean out which is nice. I actually use a more expensive pellets for the smoke part and a cheap pellet for once I wrap something since once wrapped the smoke does not penetrate.
It is unsale allot for 499.00 but occasionally goes on sale for 399.00 which is a super deal.. I actually paid 499.00 and when it was onsale they gave me my 100.00 back

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lot of features. Interesting that it has a trey attached to the front and the side.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Lot of features. Interesting that it has a trey attached to the front and the side.

The tray on the front is a extra Camp chef offers I added. It folds down and makes things so much easier to wrap. I no longer have to take stuff to a table. I think I got it for less than 50.00 on eBay.

They sell a sear box that can replace the side shelf too... The sear box can do up to 900 degrees, crazy hot. I plan on getting one once my gas grill is replaced.

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tray on the front is a extra Camp chef offers I added. It folds down and makes things so much easier to wrap. I no longer have to take stuff to a table. I think I got it for less than 50.00 on eBay.

They sell a sear box that can replace the side shelf too... The sear box can do up to 900 degrees, crazy hot. I plan on getting one once my gas grill is replaced.

Wish I had one shelf let alone two. Can’t seem to bring myself to pay $60 to add the self to my grill. Does that ash clean out do much? The first time I cleaned my grill ash was all over the bottom every where.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wish I had one shelf let alone two. Can’t seem to bring myself to pay $60 to add the self to my grill. Does that ash clean out do much? The first time I cleaned my grill ash was all over the bottom every where.

You still get some ash and it needs to be cleaned out from time to time but you no longer have to vacuum the pot out every time or every other time depending on the cook.

I hear ya and the shelves are not cheap and mine was a gift from Sandy.. Plus a front shelf seems like a must and is so much more convenient than a side shelf. I would have bought it anyway when we got the 100.00 back and only paid 399.00 for a grill which is almost 1/2.. 399.00 is cheap for a good pellet grill...

Last edited:

zbryant91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really because it is for direct grilling with it out. Keeping the foil over it would be like having it closed. I pull the slider out when cooking burgers, steaks to sear or broil. I also us it crisp something up like chicken. It really is not bad for direct grilling either.

I can see why you would want to for the mess but i think it would defeat the purpose.

I also have a large gas grill with a searer on I use for allot of direct grilling stuff.

Sometimes I put a pan under there. I just bought one of those mats that are made to cook on or line the bottom of the stove. They are supposed to be easier to clean.

The Camp Chef grills certainly are nice...
Gotcha. Yea, I have mostly only used the smoker for "grilling" as I have only had it for a couple months and wanted to get used to it before doing much smoking. Done lots of chicken and a few rounds of burgers and steaks. I did smoke some ribeyes and then seared them in a cast iron skillet and they turned out great.

Loving the camp chef so far. I actually bought it because of suggestions in this thread and I got it on sale for 399 at ***** as well. Very happy with it at that price. My MES 30 died right before the sale hit so it was a no brainer. Just trying to decide now on if I get a sear box or the sidekick to go with it. I think i would use the sidekick more than a sear box so leaning towards it.

Also bought a 15lb brisket this week that I plan on smoking this weekend. Will be my first extended smoke on the new grill and was looking at adding the foil for that to hopefully catch the drippings in the bucket and keep the mess down.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Gotcha. Yea, I have mostly only used the smoker for "grilling" as I have only had it for a couple months and wanted to get used to it before doing much smoking. Done lots of chicken and a few rounds of burgers and steaks. I did smoke some ribeyes and then seared them in a cast iron skillet and they turned out great.

Loving the camp chef so far. I actually bought it because of suggestions in this thread and I got it on sale for 399 at ***** as well. Very happy with it at that price. My MES 30 died right before the sale hit so it was a no brainer. Just trying to decide now on if I get a sear box or the sidekick to go with it. I think i would use the sidekick more than a sear box so leaning towards it.

Also bought a 15lb brisket this week that I plan on smoking this weekend. Will be my first extended smoke on the new grill and was looking at adding the foil for that to hopefully catch the drippings in the bucket and keep the mess down.

You could us foil to make clean up easier since the direct grilling wont be used. I use drip pans for stuff like brisket or roasts that drip allot.. Just those cheap aluminium pans see below..
The only drawback of the Camp Chef is the tray is slotted which makes it harder to clean. It is like that for direct grilling to allow heat through but makes cleaning it a little bit of a pain. You can buy liners to for the grease bucket too.. I am really anal about keeping my grills clean.

1564586140637.png

Brisket is one of the hardest meats to start with but on a pellet grill it is pretty easy.

My opinion for the first smoke try a pork butt/shoulder. Hard to mess up at all...

Tip I like to use butcher paper on brisket for the wrap. I feel butcher paper is better for bark.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My opinion for the first smoke try a pork butt/shoulder. Hard to mess up at all...
This is so true. Most forgiving cook you can do due to the high fat content imo. Make sure you don't put it on the smoker too early. Try to keep a constant temp during the cook. Take it off at 203F. Let it sit for an hour before pulling.

50 degree temp swings aren't going to hurt it much. Takes lots of flavors well. Will still be decent if you let it get to 210F, just a bit dry but nothing a sauce can't fix.

zbryant91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could us foil to make clean up easier since the direct grilling wont be used. I use drip pans for stuff like brisket or roasts that drip allot.. Just those cheap aluminium pans see below..
The only drawback of the Camp Chef is the tray is slotted which makes it harder to clean. It is like that for direct grilling to allow heat through but makes cleaning it a little bit of a pain. You can buy liners to for the grease bucket too.. I am really anal about keeping my grills clean.

1564586140637.png

Brisket is one of the hardest meats to start with but on a pellet grill it is pretty easy.

Tip I like to use butcher paper on brisket for the wrap. I feel butcher paper is better for bark.
Thanks for the tips. I actually have been using a MES 30 smoker for about 5 years. It just finally gave out. This will just be my first long smoke on the camp chef. I do have some butcher paper so I will give it a try. I've never wrapped a brisket during cooking before but was planning to on this one just to try it out. Actually trying quite a few new things on this one. So fingers crossed haha.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a grilling emergency this week. Fired up the propane grill to do a rotisserie chicken on Monday. The cook didn't go bad but after about 30 minutes I started losing temp. This poor old grill (12 year old Weber Genesis) was cranked up all the way and it still took almost twice as long as normal to finish. You can see the rusted out flavorizor bars that need replacing. Guessing the regulator needs replacing, too.
1564595541034.png

The wife and I were planning on replacing it next year so I was holding off with that, but this was the final straw. The bad part is we have a business meeting at our house today and I've been asked to prepare some baby back ribs, but not smoked. Last night I went out after work and picked up a new Weber Genesis stainless 335. Very nice grill. Spent an hour + last night putting it together to make sure it was ready for today.

zbryant91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is so true. Most forgiving cook you can do due to the high fat content imo. Make sure you don't put it on the smoker too early. Try to keep a constant temp during the cook. Take it off at 203F. Let it sit for an hour before pulling.

50 degree temp swings aren't going to hurt it much. Takes lots of flavors well. Will still be decent if you let it get to 210F, just a bit dry but nothing a sauce can't fix.
That's typically how I do it. Had a couple get away from me before when letting them cook overnight. Using the MES 30 temps were not the most stable depending on the outside temperature. Probably going to do a shoulder and some ribs next after the brisket.

The MES was always perfect for doing turkeys though. Whole family loved eating those from the smoker. Guessing it will be even easier to do on the camp chef.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Chicken breasts marinating in Italian dressing And seasoning for later today

michael_cb_125

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just sat down for a minute and saw this thread.

I put some baby back ribs on the Weber about an hour ago...

I cook with wood and do so, two or three times a week. Sometimes my meat is smoked, others there is just good smoky flavor.
I also use an electric smoker, during the week when I am beat after work.

I am fortunate enough that I have property full of fruit and nut trees. I never buy wood and have a good variety to choose from.
I also am super lucky to be friends with the owner of a kill floor and butcher shop.
Local meat and local wood can't be beat!!!

~Michael

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just did the best BBQ chicken recipe ever. Look at the nice little pieces of garlic in the glaze...
I did them on my pellet smoker but it does not have to be.. The pic was taken just before the last 1/2 hour of the cook.
I wish I would have taken one at the end.

1565017987519.png

This is the recipe I used is below but altered slightly.
Do not use Tabasco for the glaze it is not thick enough Use a good hot sauce. The recipe call for Franks but there are others that are better. I used Franks because Sandy picked it up and that is all they had.. I also used Sweet Baby Rays BBQ for the glaze base. The Glaze is unbelievable combined with the rub and really causes it to glaze and setup instead of being runny..

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back