Be honest here! Are you protecting your fish from......

Are you using a tank cover to protect your fish from certain death?

• YES, I'm a good daddy/mama!

Votes: 951 69.1%
  • NO, I like to gamble!

Votes: 330 24.0%
  • What's a tank cover?

Votes: 95 6.9%

• Total voters

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Con: Is annoying to constantly have to remove to work in the tank.
How is something that makes it difficult for us to put our hands in the tank a con? :confused:

I don't think I've ever heard anyone say "My tank would be doing so much better if I would just tinker in it more". ;)

Res_Ipsa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No lid (yet) but I stocked with fish not likely to jump, and have a more minimalist aquascape to enhance free swimming areas.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is something that makes it difficult for us to put our hands in the tank a con? :confused:

I don't think I've ever heard anyone say "My tank would be doing so much better if I would just tinker in it more". ;)

I'm topless, and proud... but yeah, I can see this one.

Greybeard's rule 2: Keep your dirty mitts outa the bloomin tank.

Coined after killing a tank by picking up a fallen frag and putting it back in place... after spending the morning cleaning firearms. Gun oil and solvents all over my hands... Everything dead. Oh, and _that_ tank had a screen top on it :p

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been lazy because I have the Red Sea DIY net cover just sitting in its packaging for a month now and I need to install it! :(

IMG_0060.jpeg

TvanB1

Mostly Fish; Few breeding projects underway
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm topless, and proud... but yeah, I can see this one.

Greybeard's rule 2: Keep your dirty mitts outa the bloomin tank.

Coined after killing a tank by picking up a fallen frag and putting it back in place... after spending the morning cleaning firearms. Gun oil and solvents all over my hands... Everything dead. Oh, and _that_ tank had a screen top on it :p

Tough way to learn.
At least your guns are nice and clean!
Ive had this happen to me as well after dealing with explosives. I did a huge water change right away which helped minimize damage but I still lost a bunch of coral.

DivingTheWorld

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have a rimless tank and go topless. If I had gone eurobrace I would probably add a screen, but with rimless it just kills the look. I did have our tank built with 2" of glass above the waterline which helps. We've had 5-6 family members go carpet surfing over the past 4 years. Kids usually get sad for a few days, but such is life.

Salt1972

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a conventional top and I consider myself a considerate reef keeper... Our tank is recessed in the wall with a front opening. We put corrugated black plastic on the sides and back and the front closes to address the front. The fish COULD jump out, but they'd have to jump about 14" over the side... possible, but not likely. This route allows service, maintenance, and feeding without the hassle of a lid / top. We don't keep known jumpers.

Pic below. Once the front is closed, the tank has an 14"+ wall around the perimeter.

kVsOWFmDSUer%go+2fUCuA.jpg

IMG_1150.JPG

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have an actual screen top. My tank has a full canopy. With that said... there is a section on the right side where my power cords go and a fish could jump out there.

It will probably happen now that I’ve mentioned it ;Locktopic

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 glass tops on 180

Pro, keeps fish in, my cat out, reduces evaporation

Con, reduces evaporation- the tops hold in the evaporation affecting gas exchange. Affects lights

scriptmonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OctoAquatics for me as well, will use him again when the new tank comes in. Part of the agreement with the wife is no tanks without lids. She doesn't want nothing to sneak out, travel 2 flights of stairs, open our bed room door, unarm me, get past the dog, and kill her in her sleep.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve lost one fish due to jumping. It had a vertical cut on its body. I later found a gorilla crab and voila - kamikaze fish due to crab. But no I don’t cover.

Rukk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made my own screen top. While I would rather it not be there from a looks standpoint its really not all that noticeable. Inexpensive and effective. One jumper in 13 total years, about 8 months ago. There were only two clowns in the tank and then there was one. it was a sad day.

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made my own screen top. While I would rather it not be there from a looks standpoint its really not all that noticeable. Inexpensive and effective. One jumper in 13 total years, about 8 months ago. There were only two clowns in the tank and then there was one. it was a sad day.

Do you have an anemone? I’ve found that clowns without anemones jump pretty often. Pretty much never if they have an anemone.

scriptmonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not a fish psychologist but I wonder what is going through their little fish brains at the time, are they like "Screw it. I am out. Deuces!" and perform their best Free Willy. Because if that is the case, maybe we should just dose Prozac or other anti-depressants.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 37 52.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.6%
Back