Bean Animal style question

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So elbows vs no elbows. This is the question.

What do you prefer. Why?
I use 2 elbows Rather than the tee. Then there is a small hole in the top bend, so if the water gets above that level, it turns both drains into a siphon. It's just because I don't have a third dry stand pipe.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
An elbow would help with noise and speed of flow but your setup is on track and I believe mention was made of skipping second drain - I agree on that. There are threaded and non- threaded plugs available for those bulkheads

AquaLogic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking the Sch80 fittings are so bulky and that is my main issue.
Think sch40 are much smaller fittings and will be easier to get the best out of a bean animal style?
I have looked at so many style of BAS overflow plumbing and all are different. A little confusing.
Pressure is so low in these systems there really is no need for schedule 80.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No elbows on a bean, elbow on a herbie.

I think you need to re-read his design. Of course I could have misunderstood your post. If so, sorry.

1712096708554.png

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just follow his write up. Everything you need to know is there. If you want a boatload of help use your favorite search engine and read through the multi page split monster thread over on RC.

I'm going to nit pick but unless you follow his design it really isn't a Bean Animal. Just my opinion.

I think it would be a fact. Which is why I described mine as a three pipe drain. Mine is missing some of the key design elements to make it a bean animal

OP
OP
S

Saltywaters

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, the verdict is in.

Now after all the advice regarding elbows or no elbows I went with my original plan I got off Bulk Reef supply. Nothing is glued in, so I can alway change it if I want.
Good news is I officially have it running with freshwater at the moment with no leaks.
IMG_4889.jpeg
IMG_4891.jpeg
IMG_4892.jpeg

OP
OP
S

Saltywaters

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tomorrow night I will drain it and start mixing my salt. I already have 2-32 gallon brute trash cans full of RODI water. I’ll need to make more to fill in full but I’m am very excited.
Sand, salt, and off I go!

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on the depth of the standpipes. Open top pipes can draw a vortex in shallow water. The elbow on the open channel (secondary) can help prevent noise.

As for running the secondary dry? That will work but gives you less of an auto tuning sweet spot.

Lastly, the pipe inlets that close together may interact with each other depending on flow.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it would be a fact. Which is why I described mine as a three pipe drain. Mine is missing some of the key design elements to make it a bean animal
The elbows or lack of don’t change the operating promise or functionality, their need is dependent on standpipe depth.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@BeanAnimal, I'm surprised you didn't catch the blue tube that's supposed to make the Open a Full Siphon.

The Open will never become a Full Siphon.
Honestly - did not look at entire thread, just his photo on the first page and one or tow of the follow on posts by you guys.

Yes, the "finished" photo above lacks the full siphon fail-safe. The air inlet certainly needs to be bent back over to just below the flood level height. We won't quibble about the emergency drain height vs the siphon fail-safe height.

OP
OP
S

Saltywaters

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly - did not look at entire thread, just his photo on the first page and one or tow of the follow on posts by you guys.

Yes, the "finished" photo above lacks the full siphon fail-safe. The air inlet certainly needs to be bent back over to just below the flood level height. We won't quibble about the emergency drain height vs the siphon fail-safe height.

More details please. This is my first BA overflow and would like to perfect it.
What do i need to do with the air line tube? Make it longer and bend it into the water?
E Drain too low compared to the main or secondary drain?

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
don’t worry about the emergency drain height, it should be fine.

See the
Renderings on my site. The airline bends back over and is terminated below the flood level of the overflow box but above normal operating level. If the water rises due to a clog or imbalance, water cover the air intake and turns the open channel into a siphon.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 37.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back