Bean Animal style question

Saltywaters

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is my secondary drain too close to my main drain?
First time doing this.
IMG_4883.jpeg
IMG_4884.jpeg

OP
OP
S

Saltywaters

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking the Sch80 fittings are so bulky and that is my main issue.
Think sch40 are much smaller fittings and will be easier to get the best out of a bean animal style?
I have looked at so many style of BAS overflow plumbing and all are different. A little confusing.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Not sure if it would affect the full drain, but I would spin the tee in the other direction towards the emergency drain?

OP
OP
S

Saltywaters

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run mine without the tee & elbow.
Just straight pipes.

Pictures? Reasoning for running this way? I was wondering why when I got my overflow it came with 1 pipe, assuming that is the emergency. Why would they send just 1 ?

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run mine with no elbows. Its quiet and works well.
I have it set so no water goes into the secondary drain as its not needed. I do run only 2-3× tank turn over. Faster flow may require the secondary drain to have low flow through it.
20240402_120026.jpg

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reasoning?
I never saw one configured that way & the only diagram I saw did not use a tee & elbow.

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have it set so no water goes into the secondary drain as its not needed. I do run only 2-3× tank turn over. Faster flow may require the secondary drain to have low flow through it.
I believe the secondary drain in the "Herbie" and "Bean" style drain system is to allow some wiggle room in tuning the system.

Imagine there is some fluctuation in water entering the weir, maybe it's due to turbulent flow in the tank (wave action splashing water) or maybe your return pump just fluctuates slightly. One could sometimes get noises coming from the siphon drain. If there is a small "trickle" entering that secondary drain it will aid in keeping the primary syphon functioning silently by accommodating that slight fluctuation.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just follow his write up. Everything you need to know is there. If you want a boatload of help use your favorite search engine and read through the multi page split monster thread over on RC.

I'm going to nit pick but unless you follow his design it really isn't a Bean Animal. Just my opinion.

OP
OP
S

Saltywaters

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run mine with no elbows. Its quiet and works well.
20240402_120026.jpg

With all straight pipes, and only using the main drain wouldn’t this essentially be running a Herbie style in a mean animal style overflow?
Sounds like you wouldn’t be getting the flow benefits for a bean animal.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe the secondary drain in the "Herbie" and "Bean" style drain system is to allow some wiggle room in tuning the system.

Imagine there is some fluctuation in water entering the weir, maybe it's due to turbulent flow in the tank (wave action splashing water) or maybe your return pump just fluctuates slightly. One could sometimes get noises coming from the siphon drain. If there is a small "trickle" entering that secondary drain it will aid in keeping the primary syphon functioning silently by accommodating that slight fluctuation.
Yes its for dialing it in and most have a small amount entering it. It is really needed if you are trying to run high flow through the sump which I have never found a use for.
If your pump fluctuates get a new pump. I dont understand that but it may be for people running dc pumps which i'm not a fan of for a return pump.
I can turn my 2 6255's up to get very turbulent flow with no change in the overflows performance.
I can tune my overflow with the supplied gate valve and the 2 ball valves on each return.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With all straight pipes, and only using the main drain wouldn’t this essentially be running a Herbie style in a mean animal style overflow?
Sounds like you wouldn’t be getting the flow benefits for a bean animal.

As stated above I run low flow through the sump. No need to have water going down the secondary if its not needed.
I have ran herbie style for 30+ with no issues so.
The bean is really to prevent overflow if you mains get plugged which is a good idea. I now have 2 emergency, lol
Its all good run what works for you and enjoy your reef.

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If your pump fluctuates get a new pump. I dont understand that but it may be for people running dc pumps which i'm not a fan of for a return pump.
1 pump feeds my frag tank, manifold, and display. If I open a reactor a bit more, I do not need to change the siphon valve.

I can turn my 2 6255's up to get very turbulent flow with no change in the overflow

When my 4x MP40s move into standing wave mode they can splash water into the weir then the water dips below the weir for a second. So the water volume in the wire shifts slightly.

It is really needed if you are trying to run high flow through the sump
My 1.5 inch siphon can move a great deal of water without the secondary drain should I choose to open it. Meaning I would not "need" it to move a lot of water. So I'm unsure why you believe is "for high sump flow".

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 pump feeds my frag tank, manifold, and display. If I open a reactor a bit more, I do not need to change the siphon valve.

When my 4x MP40s move into standing wave mode they can splash water into the weir then the water dips below the weir for a second. So the water volume in the wire shifts slightly.

My 1.5 inch siphon can move a great deal of water without the secondary drain should I choose to open it. Meaning I would not "need" it to move a lot of water. So I'm unsure why you believe is "for high sump flow".
You can only push so much water down a 1" tube. The supplied dc pump, which I dont use, can push alot of water. I match my ac pump to the flow I want. Many running the same, IM ext supplied dc pump, system have to have water going down the secondary due to the amount of water they are pushing.
So high flow may not have been the correct term.
Glad it works for you, enjoy.

OP
OP
S

Saltywaters

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So elbows vs no elbows. This is the question.

What do you prefer. Why?

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 110 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back