Beer brewers check in

davedamage

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We were just talking about you I shared with my Brewer partners your plans for the weekend and we were reviewing the recipe thinking about maybe Brewing it this is tonight's lineup

15704107604504119375832596793383.jpg

The only thing cut off at the bottom is that last oz of Simcoe is a flame out addition with the last oz of amarillo. I'll have to dig through my notes for the dry hopping schedule. I don't have it in beersmith for some reason. Let me know if you give it a go.

Also, very jelly of that BCS.

OP
OP
Vinman

Vinman

Brewing is worth it
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well you're going to need to know what to dry hop it if you brew it in a week you're going to have to dry hopping so let me know so that the recipe will be complete

davedamage

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After looking through the notes for five batches of this beer, I've got five different dry hopping schedules and the only complaint about it was due to switching up yeast on one of them. They are all based on a 3oz Simcoe and 2oz Amarillo dry hop with times varying from 7+5 (2.5 Simcoe, 1.5 Amarillo for 7 days, .5 of each for 5 days) to all 5oz for just 3 days after primary is finished. With no difference that I have been able to find, I would recommend going with the single three day charge with all of it at once, but everyone's opinions seem to vary on those things. Also, I have been using the Imperial Yeast House for the last three batches. Prior to that, it was just 1056, 2 liter starters.

OP
OP
Vinman

Vinman

Brewing is worth it
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After looking through the notes for five batches of this beer, I've got five different dry hopping schedules and the only complaint about it was due to switching up yeast on one of them. They are all based on a 3oz Simcoe and 2oz Amarillo dry hop with times varying from 7+5 (2.5 Simcoe, 1.5 Amarillo for 7 days, .5 of each for 5 days) to all 5oz for just 3 days after primary is finished. With no difference that I have been able to find, I would recommend going with the single three day charge with all of it at once, but everyone's opinions seem to vary on those things. Also, I have been using the Imperial Yeast House for the last three batches. Prior to that, it was just 1056, 2 liter starters.
Agree...seem like the longer you drag out the dry hopping the longer it takes for the beer to finish

lilgrounchuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got started a few weeks ago with some neighbors. One guy used to brew all the time and stopped a while back. I brought brewing up at a bbq a few months back as it’s something I’ve thought about doing for years and he lit up. He still had his whole set up, so I bought an all grain porter kit and sparked it back up. We brewed it up in his back yard (while drinking all day) and it smelled amazing. Got it racked, pitched the yeast in the carboy, then he carried it in to the basement to set down...then slow motion kicked in as the 5 gal carboy slipped, dropped, and exploded all over the basement floor. Luckily nobody got hurt. Lost the beer that night, but I loved the process and went all in and bought my own set up too. This cul de sac will become brewmageddon. We racked a juicy double ipa last week and this is my first 5 gal cook

2A430904-7E68-4FF7-8856-FEF45FDC3F61.jpeg 3E96CB60-224B-4243-B791-CEBF5294B198.jpeg 392F1D5E-531F-4174-827B-2E0AFD895DFC.jpeg 9DCF8825-3B38-4E5A-91FE-7A7BCBE6056C.jpeg

OP
OP
Vinman

Vinman

Brewing is worth it
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got started a few weeks ago with some neighbors. One guy used to brew all the time and stopped a while back. I brought brewing up at a bbq a few months back as it’s something I’ve thought about doing for years and he lit up. He still had his whole set up, so I bought an all grain porter kit and sparked it back up. We brewed it up in his back yard (while drinking all day) and it smelled amazing. Got it racked, pitched the yeast in the carboy, then he carried it in to the basement to set down...then slow motion kicked in as the 5 gal carboy slipped, dropped, and exploded all over the basement floor. Luckily nobody got hurt. Lost the beer that night, but I loved the process and went all in and bought my own set up too. This cul de sac will become brewmageddon. We racked a juicy double ipa last week and this is my first 5 gal cook

2A430904-7E68-4FF7-8856-FEF45FDC3F61.jpeg 3E96CB60-224B-4243-B791-CEBF5294B198.jpeg 392F1D5E-531F-4174-827B-2E0AFD895DFC.jpeg 9DCF8825-3B38-4E5A-91FE-7A7BCBE6056C.jpeg
Oh boy so sad to hear your work went to waste glad nobody got hurt except for your feelings but I'm glad to see the car boy finally full and bubbling

OP
OP
Vinman

Vinman

Brewing is worth it
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Entering a homebrew contest for first time at the beginning of November. Entering an IPA that finished early October. Not expecting much but thought I would see what some judges thought. Of course I think it's deeeelicious.

lilgrounchuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh boy so sad to hear your work went to waste glad nobody got hurt except for your feelings but I'm glad to see the car boy finally full and bubbling
Thank. I wasn’t worried about losing the beer. I had a great time with some friends and took it as a learning experience. The pic of the carboy is from right after I racked it last night. The krausen in there this morning was good 3 - 4” already. Hopefully it turns out ok, it’s the first one I’ve done solo. I’m looking forward to experimenting with flavors.

OP
OP
Vinman

Vinman

Brewing is worth it
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank. I wasn’t worried about losing the beer. I had a great time with some friends and took it as a learning experience. The pic of the carboy is from right after I racked it last night. The krausen in there this morning was good 3 - 4” already. Hopefully it turns out ok, it’s the first one I’ve done solo. I’m looking forward to experimenting with flavors.
I know it's been awhile so I have to remind you to take good notes sanitize everything and be patient LOL.... did you have a hydrometer did you take a reading of the original gravity what number did you hit...

lilgrounchuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it's been awhile so I have to remind you to take good notes sanitize everything and be patient LOL.... did you have a hydrometer did you take a reading of the original gravity what number did you hit...
Oh yeah, I’m paranoid so I sanitized like crazy. It had an OG of 1.050 which was right on the money for what the recipe said it should be.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.9%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 43 82.7%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.5%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back