Beginner Problems

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do I need to drill holes in the lava rock or completely remove? I add prime to my freshsaltwater batches too
I would completely remove it. The issue is that lava will melt and collect heavy metals as it passes through up through the crust of the earth. You may be lucky and find some that doesn't have anything harmful but it's a risk.
I helped a reefer in here identify the high vanadium that was killing his fish and corals was coming from crushed lava by using an electron microscope. Cool stuff from a scientific perspective. Not cool considering the $100's in lost livestock he went through before he removed the stuff.

Of course... that is only if you are sure it is lava rock. If the LFS you purchased the rock knew you were getting it for a reef tank they should have stopped you if it was.

King Turkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure 3 gallons a day in a tank that size will make much of a difference for ammonia. You would be removing less then 20% of what is generated. I would either add Biospira to help speed the cycle or use Prime to neutralize the ammonia if you really want a fish in it.

I would be very concerned about that lava rock. Lava rock is known to have metallic impurities. It's normally not an issue in a fresh water system but the high pH of a salt water aquarium can make it toxic. You may get lucky and not have issues but some people who use lava rock and/or lava based sand couldn't keep anything alive until it was removed.
weird because I have a mix reef tank with lava rock and never had a problem. also you never add fish to water with ammonia you are essentially poisoning and giving the fish chemical burns and using chemicals to neutralize can slow the cycle. but I agree use to bottle bacteria it speeds things up

AdamB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's another thing I am contemplating because I really want to add 2 clowns and a 6 line wrasse but I know the wrasse will eventually eat most invertebrates. But at the same time, I rather have 1 pretty fish than 20 ugly snails HELP!
My 6 line wrasse in my 1st tank never messed with snails, hermits , or emerald crabs..
I have a melanurus wrasse in my second tank and it’s my favorite fish ! A ton of character and he has not messed with inverts. I do not have shrimp in tank though as I’m sure he would go after small ones .

OP
OP
amfreefer

amfreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm planning on not going too heavy with the fish but I do want some beauties in there that serve a pirpose:) I was also considering a watchman Goby and pistol shrimp duo and a Orchid dottyback but I don't want to kill my watchman goby or his shrimp with the wrasse and I think the dottyback, wrasse combo is super iffy

King Turkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a goby they get to be about 6 inches and you wanna have a sand bed rock wise you wanna cement them or epoxy them other wise you the goby will move the rocks with all its digging. you might not want to get to much more with that size a tank you might exceed bioload watchmen poop a lot =p

OP
OP
amfreefer

amfreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 6 line wrasse in my 1st tank never messed with snails, hermits , or emerald crabs..
I have a melanurus wrasse in my second tank and it’s my favorite fish ! A ton of character and he has not messed with inverts. I do not have shrimp in tank though as I’m sure he would go after small ones .
I have read that once they mature, they have a tendency to go after things and fish they once got along with

jurgenph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do I need to drill holes in the lava rock or completely remove? I add prime to my freshsaltwater batches too

i don't think that i see lava rock in the picture you posted.
which rock did they say is lava rock?

are you using tapwater with prime?
or are you adding prime to your RODI?

J.

King Turkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read that once they mature, they have a tendency to go after things and fish they once got along with
it just depends on the 6 line and how much room it has. every fish has its own personality some do great some are jerks. like any animal/ pet

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
weird because I have a mix reef tank with lava rock and never had a problem.
Consider yourself lucky! There is a reason why the major online suppliers like BRS and Marine Depot don't sell it.

It is an option to take an ICP sample and send it off after a few months to see if it shows signs of heavy metal. Or you can wait to see if it does cause a problem and just keep it in the back of your mind that lava rock could be a cause.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I set up my tank on October 6th.....Any way, I'm now running a 20 gallon long tank which I think makes for a more suitable environment for fish and coral. I added the rock I purchased from a guy on offerup that he was storing in a trashcan in his backyard, along with two other types lava rock from a reputable pet store.
Was the rock wet in salt water?
My Ipinion:
If not wet , wait 1 month, at least, before adding any livestock.
I would remove the lava rock.

King Turkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Consider yourself lucky! There is a reason why the major online suppliers like BRS and Marine Depot don't sell it.

It is an option to take an ICP sample and send it off after a few months to see if it shows signs of heavy metal. Or you can wait to see if it does cause a problem and just keep it in the back of your mind that lava rock could be a cause.
I can test myself I work in a labratory. you can cure rocks some will have slow leaching but it just depends and what sorta rock .looks like she just has dry liverock anyways from the pick

King Turkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
question.. what sorta set up are you doing for that tank. just wondering? gonna do any corals?

OP
OP
amfreefer

amfreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i don't think that i see lava rock in the picture you posted.
which rock did they say is lava rock?

are you using tapwater with prime?
or are you adding prime to your RODI?

J.
good question! I'm using distilled water with prime. I will take pictures of the rock I am talking about because I could be totally wrong about it!

1571532176592380591005.jpg 15715321979482137313164.jpg

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can test myself I work in a labratory. you can cure rocks some will have slow leaching but it just depends and what sorta rock .looks like she just has dry liverock anyways from the pick
I should have been more clear. The 2nd part of that comment was for her. If it's hasn't caused you problems I wouldn't worry about it.

I do agree, it doesn't look like lava rock to me, either. Hard to tell from a photo. Worth verifying.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good question! I'm using distilled water with prime. I will take pictures of the rock I am talking about because I could be totally wrong about it!

Ok, I feel better. That is not lava rock. You are fine with this stuff.

OP
OP
amfreefer

amfreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should have been more clear. The 2nd part of that comment was for her. If it's hasn't caused you problems I wouldn't worry about it.

I do agree, it doesn't look like lava rock to me, either. Hard to tell from a photo. Worth verifying.
I gave the rocks I purchased from a previous reefer, a saltwater bath twice and rinsed my sand really good

King Turkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
then I would invest in a ro/di or get ro/di from a lfs. distilled water depending on how they are processing it can leach copper from the pipes. I see lots of distilled water have tds as high as 200 they have pretty bad quality control but it is better than tab I would not use it in the long run could run into problems.

jurgenph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

no need to add prime to distilled.
but... look into getting your own RODI filter, rather that buying gallons of distilled.
and not every brand of distilled comes in at 0 TDS.

as for those rocks, they do not look like lava rock.
do they look like they are made of dead coral skeletons? or more like a sedimentary rock?

you can do a test with vinegar, if a drop of vinegar makes it bubble, you're probably safe.

J.

OP
OP
amfreefer

amfreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
then I would invest in a ro/di or get ro/di from a lfs. distilled water depending on how they are processing it can leach copper from the pipes. I see lots of distilled water have tds as high as 200 they have pretty bad quality control but it is better than tab I would not use it in the long run could run into problems.
would you still reccomend it for a 20 gallon? I think this setup is really small

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 76 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back