amfreefer

amfreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no need to add prime to distilled.
but... look into getting your own RODI filter, rather that buying gallons of distilled.
and not every brand of distilled comes in at 0 TDS.

as for those rocks, they do not look like lava rock.
do they look like they are made of dead coral skeletons? or more like a sedimentary rock?

you can do a test with vinegar, if a drop of vinegar makes it bubble, you're probably safe.

J.
definetly grabbed some dead coral chunks. this rock came from his very large aquarium and I was looking for one the size of my hand

AdamB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read that once they mature, they have a tendency to go after things and fish they once got along with
Never had a problem with him going after anything in tank . He would defend himself against my mean neon dottyback though! That neon was the meanest fish I’ve ever had and could never get him out of the 100 lbs of live rock in tank lol

OP
OP
amfreefer

amfreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
definetly grabbed some dead coral chunks. this rock came from his very large aquarium and I was looking for one the size of my hand
I am adding prime as I have 2 baby clowns that I want to keep

King Turkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
would you still reccomend it for a 20 gallon? I think this setup is really small
you will save money in the long run also. gallons of distilled can cost a lot over time. yes I would highly recommend it. ro/di water is gonna save you from a lot of issues later like algae outbakes to unhappy corals.

OP
OP
amfreefer

amfreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you will save money in the long run also. gallons of distilled can cost a lot over time. yes I would highly recommend it. ro/di water is gonna save you from a lot of issues later like algae outbakes to unhappy corals.
okay I'm adding it to my christmas wishlist:D

King Turkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bulk reed supple have some great deals sometimes.. what do you all have. do you have a protein skimmer canister filter. power heads. can you test for calcium alk mag. ? what srta salt you using? just getting to know the set up. might be able to suggest more useful things. you probly in the beginning of a normal ugly phase and it will pass with time.

OP
OP
amfreefer

amfreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bulk reed supple have some great deals sometimes.. what do you all have. do you have a protein skimmer canister filter. power heads. can you test for calcium alk mag. ? what srta salt you using? just getting to know the set up. might be able to suggest more useful things. you probly in the beginning of a normal ugly phase and it will pass with time.
It's just a 20 gallon with HOB aquaclear 70 and a hydor heater and powerhead. minimalist over here. I try to gain knowledge from brs on YouTube but I'm not compatible with that guy lol. He annoys me so much I can't even focus

OP
OP
amfreefer

amfreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's just a 20 gallon with HOB aquaclear 70 and a hydor heater and powerhead. minimalist over here. I try to gain knowledge from brs on YouTube but I'm not compatible with that guy lol. He annoys me so much I can't even focus
oh I have reef crystals and an Amazon Aqua Knight A80

King Turkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would invest in a high quality light. I am rely digging the red sea led 90 light. you would want the reef led 50. check out a vid on it they are rely cool and you will thank me later =]. for that size of a tank that is the best set up for you if you wanna get the bio load a bit bigger/ more fish cleaner tank a small Nano protein skimmer would help but honestly they take up space so that's up to you. reef crystals are good. some people talk down on them but they work. I use red sea reef pro myself.

OP
OP
amfreefer

amfreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would invest in a high quality light. I am rely digging the red sea led 90 light. you would want the reef led 50. check out a vid on it they are rely cool and you will thank me later =]. for that size of a tank that is the best set up for you if you wanna get the bio load a bit bigger/ more fish cleaner tank a small Nano protein skimmer would help but honestly they take up space so that's up to you. reef crystals are good. some people talk down on them but they work. I use red sea reef pro myself.
really that's your favorite salt? I saw a guy post a picture of the resin it made in his bin. I know there is more expensive ones but i'm just trying to get by successfully and cheap. I don't have a problem with water changes or spending a bunch of time perfecting everything. I am a stay at home Mom and I enjoy having something else to do. I don't need a ton of fish as long as they all serve a function as well. but I do go after the beauty aspect as well. I would like to have corals and nems to. I don't have calcium, phosphate or other tests that I will need in the future. just a basic saltwater API test kit and a refractometer and thermometer. This will change when my parameters are stable

OP
OP
amfreefer

amfreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
really that's your favorite salt? I saw a guy post a picture of the resin it made in his bin. I know there is more expensive ones but i'm just trying to get by successfully and cheap. I don't have a problem with water changes or spending a bunch of time perfecting everything. I am a stay at home Mom and I enjoy having something else to do. I don't need a ton of fish as long as they all serve a function as well. but I do go after the beauty aspect as well. I would like to have corals and nems to. I don't have calcium, phosphate or other tests that I will need in the future. just a basic saltwater API test kit and a refractometer and thermometer. This will change when my parameters are stable
I was also considering a noopsyche k7 pro 2 light for the future

King Turkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with the red sea 50 or a kessile. they are 350 but well worth its weight in gold anything in the 350 range on bulk reef supple is what u want. yes I know he is super lame lol but sells good stuff. every salt sometimes gets a bad batch and a brown film its not harm-full and filters out. I have not yet run into that problem with reef crystals red sea topic Marin or any other name brands cheap or high in price. depends on if the container is dirty to begin with how long it is being mixed before adding. you wont rely need to test to often for those if you are water changing once a week 10 percent of water. so 2 gallons. unless you are packing it with fish and corals. I also am a parent and am in the same boat and needed a at home hobby. so I feel you on that one. honestly what ever salt you get if it is for corals and you have corals you will be good to go. light tough you wanna get a good one.

King Turkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you are looking for coral cherry corals is a nice place I shop from you should check I got this from them a wail back.

CHE_5892-600x600.jpg

flchamp89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great looking tank. I agree with the light comments regarding upgrading. As well as the lava rock. Not mentioned about lava rock is it tends to be a algae magnet as it is very porous and collects detritus.

rmurken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the hobby! Stick around, ask questions, search and read old posts, talk to folks at the LFS, and google around and you’ll catch on!

I’d definitely counsel patience. Your parameters will get there, but having really any ammonia or nitrite is a sign that you should hold off on stocking the tank.

Nothing good happens quickly in a fish tank and especially in a reef setup. Cycling the tank is maddening, but you only have to do it once, getting rock from someone should really help, and there’s no substitute for waiting until your system is cycling ammonia to nitrate quickly.

I have never heard anyone say anything nice about any six line wrasse, unless they had a flatworm problem. And even then, once the wrasse cleans up the worms, it seems many people find they turn into problem buttheads.

Of course, I have never owned one. But they are a nice-looking fish.

GR00VY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
then I would invest in a ro/di or get ro/di from a lfs. distilled water depending on how they are processing it can leach copper from the pipes. I see lots of distilled water have tds as high as 200 they have pretty bad quality control but it is better than tab I would not use it in the long run could run into problems.

while rodi is best way to go. I have had good water from Walmart. The great value stuff distilled water. I tested it and has 0 tds and they have their water report online and you can see all the stuff they test for. Copper levels are zero.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 33 52.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 35 55.6%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 13 20.6%
  • None.

Votes: 14 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 7.9%
Back