BeltedCoyote’s reboot: the birth of the leviathan

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
that’s what I was thinking.

after taking a closer look at things, it’s the stand. All the corners but the front right have a bit sticking up from the post. The right corner is basically flat.
How about foam mat for under tank? Yours is rimmed. So, not sure if it would help tank or cause issues.

Sorry for late reply. Busy day :(

Edit: don't skip out on plywood and shims. I only brought up the mat due to miner surface issues that cause problems for larger rimless tanks.

Last edited:

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So going to call in the homies

@fishguy242 @F i s h y @Eagle_Steve @Lost in the Sauce @najer @Mibu @sp1187

hope you can tell with the video. Basically, I’ve realized that not only does the tank have room to move up and down I’ve the corner in question, so does the tabletop thing the previous owner used. The only difference between how they had the tank set up and what I have is he had a thin acrylic board with a cut out for the overflow. But it wasn’t thick enough to do anything about leveling. So what do you think? I have some synthetic shims. I also have the .5” plywood to replace the tabletop. What would you all recommend if you were in this situation?

Is that frame steel? Looking at the video, It looks like the frame is warped.

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about foam mat for under tank? Yours is rimmed. So, not sure if it would help tank or cause issues.

Sorry for late reply. Busy day :(

Edit: don't skip out on plywood and shims. I only brought up the mat due to miner surface issues that cause problems for larger rimless tanks.
Oh I have such a mat waiting. Just need to figure out which thing I’m going to place it on under the tank

Is that frame steel? Looking at the video, It looks like the frame is warped.

yeah, it’s frame steel. The corners vary in level. But I’ve wondered about it being a warp issue.

tried not to think about that being the problem because that seems to lead down the road of “I need a new stand”….

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I have such a mat waiting. Just need to figure out which thing I’m going to place it on under the tank

yeah, it’s frame steel. The corners vary in level. But I’ve wondered about it being a warp issue.

tried not to think about that being the problem because that seems to lead down the road of “I need a new stand”….
New wood stand is super easy to do and then you can customize the crap out of it lol.

Either way, I can see the video now that I am home and I agree the stand may be twisted. If that is the case, need to figure out why. Twisted metal degrades it’s strength, as it stretches it. It can also lead to racking, and racking is not good.

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New wood stand is super easy to do and then you can customize the crap out of it lol.

Either way, I can see the video now that I am home and I agree the stand may be twisted. If that is the case, need to figure out why. Twisted metal degrades it’s strength, as it stretches it. It can also lead to racking, and racking is not good.

Oof. I have no tools or know how to build a stand lol. Oh well. Mainly just disheartened by the potential setback.

also starting to wonder about the integrity of the tank itself.

idk how long the previous owner had it running but I’m assuming it’s a decent amount of time. My floor is level here and at the apartment I lived in previously. So I don’t know what could have caused the twisting.

it sat in a non air conditioned garage through winter and spring before being moved inside. But it was dry. So idk.

always something I guess, right?

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oof. I have no tools or know how to build a stand lol. Oh well. Mainly just disheartened by the potential setback.

idk how long the previous owner had it running but I’m assuming it’s a decent amount of time. My floor is level here and at the apartment I lived in previously. So I don’t know what could have caused the twisting.

it sat in a non air conditioned garage through winter and spring before being moved inside. But it was dry. So idk.

Easiest way to check is either use a square or a tape measure. Hard for me to explain, but google is your friend for this, as it will have images of how to measure from corner to corner and then determine if it is square or not. As for the twisting, it could have been like that from the beginning. Who knows.

For the tank, with it being an old oceanic, I would check the silicone for bubbles or damage and run it. I still have my old 80 made by them. At least I think it is an 80 lol. Either way, they are beasts and were way overbuilt.

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Easiest way to check is either use a square or a tape measure. Hard for me to explain, but google is your friend for this, as it will have images of how to measure from corner to corner and then determine if it is square or not. As for the twisting, it could have been like that from the beginning. Who knows.

For the tank, with it being an old oceanic, I would check the silicone for bubbles or damage and run it. I still have my old 80 made by them. At least I think it is an 80 lol. Either way, they are beasts and were way overbuilt.

gotcha. I’ll google that. So if it’s not square new stand is needed right? Or does the twisting warrant just going with a new stand anyway.

I’ve looked at the silicon and haven’t seen any bubbling or the like. Some areas look like there was a little bit lost due to over zealous scraping of glass, but not to the point where any corner isn’t filled. Just bits of the portion that extends beyond the corner isn’t a perfect line from end to end…if that makes sense

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
gotcha. I’ll google that. So if it’s not square new stand is needed right? Or does the twisting warrant just going with a new stand anyway.

I’ve looked at the silicon and haven’t seen any bubbling or the like. Some areas look like there was a little bit lost due to over zealous scraping of glass, but not to the point where any corner isn’t filled. Just bits of the portion that extends beyond the corner isn’t a perfect line from end to end…if that makes sense
Not really on the twist. I would have to see it in person to be able to tell.

My brain is dead after work today. What size tank is it again and can you a pic of each side of the stand from squatted down and straight on? May be able to tell something from those.

for the silicone, if that is all it is, I say run with it, but that is me lol.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Take a breath. Call me.

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really on the twist. I would have to see it in person to be able to tell.

My brain is dead after work today. What size tank is it again and can you a pic of each side of the stand from squatted down and straight on? May be able to tell something from those.

for the silicone, if that is all it is, I say run with it, but that is me lol.

its a 120. 4x2x2

Here’s a video I took sitting on the floor. Kinda thinking the left side is the issue? Idk. Tell me what you think?

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its a 120. 4x2x2

Here’s a video I took sitting on the floor. Kinda thinking the left side is the issue? Idk. Tell me what you think?

Square tube steel? If so, it appears it was just not twisted correctly when welded. That is not an issue. Just makes it look twisted, as it is twisted, but only looks wise. Not structurally.

Also, does it have ties on the bottom for the legs that connect them all together?

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Square tube steel? If so, it appears it was just not twisted correctly when welded. That is not an issue. Just makes it look twisted, as it is twisted, but only looks wise. Not structurally.

Also, does it have ties on the bottom for the legs that connect them all together?

theres a frame around the bottom just like the top. Is that what you meant?

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
at the very bottom ? or raised couple inches off bottom ?

raised a little off the bottom. The four posts are basically feet for the stand. That said the gap between the horizontal portions and the floor is tiny. I’ll have to check exact measurements but it’s not more than a fraction of an inch

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
raised a little off the bottom. The four posts are basically feet for the stand. That said the gap between the horizontal portions and the floor is tiny. I’ll have to check exact measurements but it’s not more than a fraction of an inch
With it being square tube steel, I am not worried at all. A little bit of a twist due to not lining up correctly when welding is no worries.

Just need to get the top flat and the stand level. Then fill with stuff and rock on.

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With it being square tube steel, I am not worried at all. A little bit of a twist due to not lining up correctly when welding is no worries.

Just need to get the top flat and the stand level. Then fill with stuff and rock on.

Sister Act Reaction GIF

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In any event. going to need to do some diagnostics to figure out how to best level the tank.

but ya’ll have helped me.

and @Lost in the Sauce thanks for the phone call. Between you and Steve this seems manageable
Easy. Just gotta figure out what is elf,ed and uneff it!

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like an update is long overdue.

Many things have happened in the last couple months. My granpa passing. My mom’s revelation regarding her illness.

with regards to the Reef o’ Memes: I’ve discovered leveling the tank is going to be an even better learning experience. Beyond that, I have the plywood I need.

I also have the plumbing parts I need and flex seal for the plywood.

at this point I just need to cut the plywood, seal it, and get the tank leveled. Then it’s off to the proverbial races.

in other news, I managed to break my left pinky at work a week ago. All thanks to a dang basketball. Had surgery a handful of hours ago to repair the bball casualty.

the result:
DDBE9425-42C1-490D-81B8-5B1EFD01BE6E.jpeg

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 16 35.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 13.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 15 33.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 7 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.2%

Back