Benefit or Negative to Switch Spectrums Midday?

Reefer37

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 30, 2019
Messages
364
Reaction score
157
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious if there's any benefit of negative effect to switching spectrums during the day?

For example, I run my Hydra 52 at 16k for about 7 hours of the day and then for an hour ramp down to 20k and keep that for the last 3 hours.

I was just curious if others do this or if this would affect the corals in a negative way.
I haven't seen any I'll effects, but if it could stunt growth, I'd definitely end up changing it.

Anybody have any experiences?
 
What’s the goal behind changing spectrums like that? Just because you like one spectrum better or do you believe it’s better for the corals or what?
 
What’s the goal behind changing spectrums like that? Just because you like one spectrum better or do you believe it’s better for the corals or what?
I guess the idea was to get growth from the lower kelvin for the day and coloration later in the day from the higher.
 
Just curious if there's any benefit of negative effect to switching spectrums during the day?

For example, I run my Hydra 52 at 16k for about 7 hours of the day and then for an hour ramp down to 20k and keep that for the last 3 hours.

I was just curious if others do this or if this would affect the corals in a negative way.
I haven't seen any I'll effects, but if it could stunt growth, I'd definitely end up changing it.

Anybody have any experiences?
Why?
 
The reason above.
I read others doing this and thought it might implement best of both worlds (growth/coloration).
I'm coming here asking to see if others have tried this or if it's actually doing more harm than good.
 
Incorporating a sunrise/sunset ramp up/ramp down into your program makes sense but I don’t think you’ll see any real benny from the couple of hours of spectrum change.
 

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 20.9%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 11.6%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 11 25.6%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 3 7.0%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 9 20.9%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new