Benefit or Negative to Switch Spectrums Midday?

Reefer37

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious if there's any benefit of negative effect to switching spectrums during the day?

For example, I run my Hydra 52 at 16k for about 7 hours of the day and then for an hour ramp down to 20k and keep that for the last 3 hours.

I was just curious if others do this or if this would affect the corals in a negative way.
I haven't seen any I'll effects, but if it could stunt growth, I'd definitely end up changing it.

Anybody have any experiences?

Brett S

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s the goal behind changing spectrums like that? Just because you like one spectrum better or do you believe it’s better for the corals or what?

OP
OP
Reefer37

Reefer37

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s the goal behind changing spectrums like that? Just because you like one spectrum better or do you believe it’s better for the corals or what?
I guess the idea was to get growth from the lower kelvin for the day and coloration later in the day from the higher.

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious if there's any benefit of negative effect to switching spectrums during the day?

For example, I run my Hydra 52 at 16k for about 7 hours of the day and then for an hour ramp down to 20k and keep that for the last 3 hours.

I was just curious if others do this or if this would affect the corals in a negative way.
I haven't seen any I'll effects, but if it could stunt growth, I'd definitely end up changing it.

Anybody have any experiences?
Why?

OP
OP
Reefer37

Reefer37

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reason above.
I read others doing this and thought it might implement best of both worlds (growth/coloration).
I'm coming here asking to see if others have tried this or if it's actually doing more harm than good.

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Incorporating a sunrise/sunset ramp up/ramp down into your program makes sense but I don’t think you’ll see any real benny from the couple of hours of spectrum change.

OP
OP
Reefer37

Reefer37

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is also kinda where I got the idea:

"World Wide Corals changes the spectrum throughout the day from white to blue with very minimal ramp times. The mindset is turbocharge the photosynthesis in the morning and then let it slow down throughout the day."

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 64 76.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 6.0%
Back