Berghia nudibranch breeding

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aipatasia seems to be able to digest brine shrimp faster than other foods.

this has 4 week in between of growth

6BC6EEEA-3A03-44C6-BD66-58095EAAD7E0.jpeg

A1182262-CD5F-4F76-9DDD-8CCE5BA5E8A9.jpeg
Very impressive in 4 weeks indeed.
From handfull to hundreds ^_^

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very impressive in 4 weeks indeed.
From handfull to hundreds ^_^
They were plumed to the main tank, that is cheating in a way, we all know how fast they spread in a mature system without doing anything, by doing fragments it just goes wild.

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I enjoyed it, if I had the space I’d do it again, during the year that I’ve grown them I haven’t paid for a single coral or fish

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trouble keeping enough aiptasia for the berghia to feed on?
No I have plenty aptasia I’d guess 2-3000 large ones and many babies. My issue is keeping Nudis alive and eggs hatching. I e got a lot of time and money into this. Had 15 Nudis just in this system for breeding now down to 5 and loosing hope for new ones.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I have plenty aptasia I’d guess 2-3000 large ones and many babies. My issue is keeping Nudis alive and eggs hatching. I e got a lot of time and money into this. Had 15 Nudis just in this system for breeding now down to 5 and loosing hope for new ones.
Interesting, mine bred like rabbits in a jar with an air pump and a heater. Still, such a pain.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting, mine bred like rabbits in a jar with an air pump and a heater. Still, such a pain.
Like everything I do I over do it so I build some extensive system 4 tanks in a line that pour into each other one by one with nylon socks to catch Nudis before it all dumps into a 40 long that is aptasia garden. I thought this would work but in the beginning aptasia was dying so then I set up an 80 gallon frag tank separate just for aptasia and they took off leaving me with no aptasia in my 40 gallon and a full tank in the 80. So for the past 2-3 months I’ve been feeding the aptasia to the Nudis And they eat a lot but they are slowly dying one by one for some reason. Today I read about these jars and small containers some of you are using and I’m thinking about trying it. I’m almost out of ideas and down to my last few

image.jpg

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like everything I do I over do it so I build some extensive system 4 tanks in a line that pour into each other one by one with nylon socks to catch Nudis before it all dumps into a 40 long that is aptasia garden. I thought this would work but in the beginning aptasia was dying so then I set up an 80 gallon frag tank separate just for aptasia and they took off leaving me with no aptasia in my 40 gallon and a full tank in the 80. So for the past 2-3 months I’ve been feeding the aptasia to the Nudis And they eat a lot but they are slowly dying one by one for some reason. Today I read about these jars and small containers some of you are using and I’m thinking about trying it. I’m almost out of ideas and down to my last few

image.jpg
That's an intense set-up! For what it's worth, I was just in posting about my jar and thinking, "if I ever do this again I really need a proper set-up"

I think these are a bit of a pain.

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
why did you end up taking your set up down

moving from a flat to a house was more important at the time, the house is smaller, so had to sacrifice the large tank for a garden. Which is more important wend you got kids and you are locked in a apartment due to world circumstances at the time.

OP
OP
maleks.reef

maleks.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

image.jpg
Interesting set up. It is very weird how some people have crazy success breeding berghias while others struggle. Try using a small container, maybe that is the secret. Keep us updated :)

OP
OP
maleks.reef

maleks.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is being suggested for nudi containers ?
I have 2 options for the nudis: 2 gal rectangular tank or a vertical rectangular vase.

For now, my plan is to see how much aiptasia i can grow in a month. If I am successful and i outgrow this little container, i have a similar container that is much bigger ready for use.

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE: I managed to get 2 aiptasia form my DT. They are tiny so i will try to get more aiptasia from the other reefers to really kickstart their growth.

WhatsApp Image 2022-05-02 at 1.14.56 AM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-05-02 at 1.14.56 AM (1).jpeg
Because you only got a few Aipatasias I would let them settle for a few days before start doing fragments, some times at the beginning they can die from stress.maybe spot feed the ones you got first to increased health.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 33 29.7%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 28 25.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 21.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%

Back