OP
maleks.reef

maleks.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s own system. 5 tanks total about 50-60 gallons
I suggest you do 2 things. 1) move the remaining ones into a smaller container, 2-4 gallons with a heater and bubbler if possible. 2) Perform a WC to get those nitrates way down to around 20 and after that do weekly WCs of like 10%.

I am confident that if you do a big enough WC and or even a new batch of fresh saltwater, they will stop dying. Maybe it is not the nitrates but something else that is accumulating and causing them to die. Could be a heavy metal, nitrates or even ammonia if there isnt adequate bacteria. If the berghia were not dying at the beginning and only started dying some time later, then it most probably is an accumulation of something that is bad for them.

Now i am no expert but from the research ive done, i have noticed that pretty much everyone has success in smaller containers which is why i suggested that you do that.

My 2 cents. If anything happens please update me! Goodluck.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suggest you do 2 things. 1) move the remaining ones into a smaller container, 2-4 gallons with a heater and bubbler if possible. 2) Perform a WC to get those nitrates way down to around 20 and after that do weekly WCs of like 10%.

I am confident that if you do a big enough WC and or even a new batch of fresh saltwater, they will stop dying. Maybe it is not the nitrates but something else that is accumulating and causing them to die. Could be a heavy metal, nitrates or even ammonia if there isnt adequate bacteria. If the berghia were not dying at the beginning and only started dying some time later, then it most probably is an accumulation of something that is bad for them.

Now i am no expert but from the research ive done, i have noticed that pretty much everyone has success in smaller containers which is why i suggested that you do that.

Thank you very much this is great information and I will apply it all hopefully it’s not too late for the two Nudie I have left they are still laying eggs as of last night but as soon as I can I will put this in motion again thanks

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Took your advice bought a 2.5 gallon tank and small heater set it up along with a small air pump I had and statue house for Nudis to hide. With a couple aptasia. Wish me luck :)
2C88B810-25E5-41D6-89D1-54626CC92F3D.jpeg
5BFBCAA3-5B0A-4060-BC7D-E9FCEA07B59D.jpeg

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
getting mine in as well (with some corals, hoping to breed them in my bryopsis infested sump with a lifegard filter mesh between it and the next chamber. This is a nice source for info with everyone being so helpful in your thread. I wish you luck and let us know any tips you find along the way

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-05-05 154209.png
    Screenshot 2022-05-05 154209.png
    131.8 KB · Views: 50
OP
OP
maleks.reef

maleks.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
((FORDTECH)) You mentioned previously you have thousands and thousands of aiptasia correct? How did you reach such huge numbers? Any tips? I have 4 small ones right now and it seems like they are barely growing in size let alone number.

Also, update on the nudis?

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
((FORDTECH)) You mentioned previously you have thousands and thousands of aiptasia correct? How did you reach such huge numbers? Any tips? I have 4 small ones right now and it seems like they are barely growing in size let alone number.

Also, update on the nudis?
So I happen to be the luckiest person in the world on one Sunday when the night before I was stressing about having no aptasia left someone in my local forum posted live rock for sale from their 500 gallon that they are breaking down and they said in the post I understand nobody wants this live rock because it’s completely covered in aptasia that is why I’m selling it for one dollar a pound and I was like holy cow this is amazing give the guy a call I went to his house and cherry picked every rock I could that was completely infested with aptasia end up leaving with 90 pounds for $90 in about 4000 aptasia
As far as my Nudis as of yesterday the three were still alive but acting very sluggish no pun intended ha ha

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done about 10 to 20% water change every day removing water from the 2 1/2 gallon and then adding it back in from one of my established systems I’m not sure if this is a good idea or not I’m thinking about alternating between freshly mixed salt water and establish tank water every other day

OP
OP
maleks.reef

maleks.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I happen to be the luckiest person in the world on one Sunday when the night before I was stressing about having no aptasia left someone in my local forum posted live rock for sale from their 500 gallon that they are breaking down and they said in the post I understand nobody wants this live rock because it’s completely covered in aptasia that is why I’m selling it for one dollar a pound and I was like holy cow this is amazing give the guy a call I went to his house and cherry picked every rock I could that was completely infested with aptasia end up leaving with 90 pounds for $90 in about 4000 aptasia
As far as my Nudis as of yesterday the three were still alive but acting very sluggish no pun intended ha ha
Dang starting with thousands, must be nice

Have the berghias been eating? I noticed in the pic you posted that they are very white. Usually they should have a brown/tan color on their backs from eating aiptasia. Berghias actually store the stinging cells of the aiptasia they consume in their "spine" looking things.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang starting with thousands, must be nice

Have the berghias been eating? I noticed in the pic you posted that they are very white. Usually they should have a brown/tan color on their backs from eating aiptasia. Berghias actually store the stinging cells of the aiptasia they consume in their "spine" looking things.
Yes they have at least I think because the aptasia I put in there disappear. Sometimes half the body then few days later the rest. Also just looked at my 3 nudi and they do not look so good. Did 4 cup water change with fresh saltwater

OP
OP
maleks.reef

maleks.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they have at least I think because the aptasia I put in there disappear. Sometimes half the body then few days later the rest. Also just looked at my 3 nudi and they do not look so good. Did 4 cup water change with fresh saltwater
When you moved them into the new tank, you used new saltwater correct?

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what it’s worth I don’t think these 3 nudi will make it more then a day or 2 longer. Pretty sure one is dead already. I just put like 20 more aptasia in the tank 7-8 large and 10-12 tiny to small ones. Also about week ago I collected some eggs in small cup size container and been floating in tank changing some water every other day. May put those eggs in the 2.5 gallon

OP
OP
maleks.reef

maleks.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No used 60% water they came from and 40% from a different 300 gallon system I have
To eliminate the possibility of a heavy metal contamination, use ONLY freshly made saltwater for the nudis tank. As we know inverts are very sensitive to heavy metals. I could be completely wrong here but its the only thing that comes to mind tbh.

Also i suggest you check your water change equipment/pumps for any rusting.

KyleC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought 4 berghia for my aiptasia infested 300 litre tank 4 months back... now I'm selling my berghia like hot cakes! Wasn't the plan but wish I'd of thought of this earlier and had a second aiptasia tank going... I've maybe 1 week before the rest of them starve... easily 50 or so still in there... poor things lol

KyleC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought 4 berghia for my aiptasia infested 300 litre tank 4 months back... now I'm selling my berghia like hot cakes! Wasn't the plan but wish I'd of thought of this earlier and had a second aiptasia tank going... I've maybe 1 week before the rest of them starve... easily 50 or so still in there... poor things lol
Just pulled another 16 out for an order tomorrow. Think I can see my new side hussle haa

Jmp998

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just pulled another 16 out for an order tomorrow. Think I can see my new side hussle haa

Sometimes what seems to be adversity…is actually opportunity. I would guess you have more than recouped your original Berghia investment?

Transmogrification of Aiptasia into cash only requires effort, and a healthy population of Berghia.

Saminpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the idea of breeding nudi by accident. Back in August I bought 4 to take care of an aiptasia issue in my frag tank. Two months later the tank was pest free and I started seeing multiple nudi every day roaming the glass. So I posted in local reef fb groups that i have nudi for sale, $10 each.

I ended up with that many buyers that i still have a wait list!!!!

I pulled out 81 nudi after starting with 4 two months before. Sold 75 of them and kept 6 to breed.

So I bought 2, 5 gallon kits at petsmart. One for aiptasia to grow and the other for nudi. I’m currently starting to see the juveniles from the first two egg coils.

If you take the couple minutes a day to slice aiptasia and feed the nudi tank, it’s a great way to make cash to sustain my hobby and also free coral in trades.

I have a 8 person wait list and a local reef shop that wants me to supply them for the shop.
When online vendors are charging 20-30 a nudi and I advertise them for $10, and even cheaper in bulk, it’s a great side hustle.

707Nick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience with this is that you will need WAY WAY WAY more aiptasia than you think you will need. Getting berghia to breed is easy when they are well fed but they eat a ton. If you really want to do this right, get a 10 gallon tank and grow aiptasia for 6 months until you hate the sight of it. Then you will have enough to sustain a colony.

Burghia eggs will be eaten by amphipods, for sure. So your brood stock tank should be 100% devoid of amphipods. Your aiptasia grow out will need heat and an air pump at a minimum, but since it's going to be a little bigger than you thought, maybe a hang on back filter. Have them growing on something that's easy to remove and will not end up with sneaky amphipods on them. Live rock rubble will not be suitable because of amphipods. Did I mention amphipods. Amphipods. They are the worst.

Eggs are hard to see if they are not on a very contrasting surface. I used calcium reactor media as a substrate for mine which they loved to hide in, but man, I could never see the eggs.

The burghia brood stock tank doesn't have to be big. It does have to be heated. It does need an air pump. I preferred an air pump with no air stone and with a valve to control output.

This is fun if you grow a whole ton of aiptasia on the front end. But my experience was not fun. I ended up at fish stores every weekend begging for aiptasia. Different stores every weekend. It was...as they say... a bit much.

I have eradicated my aiptasia, I think.
Is there a way to remove the pods from your rock?

Saminpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a way to remove the pods from your rock?
Dipping the rock in straight 3% hydrogen peroxide for a few minutes will kill everything on the rock except the aiptasia. So obviously the rock can’t have nudi on it , they would die too. I have done this when transferring aiptasia rock from the aiptasia tank to the nudi tank.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 52 48.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 60 56.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 23.4%
  • None.

Votes: 27 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.4%
Back