berghia nudibranch Eggs experience

Tegridy Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I think ive read most information in the web including the article from advaceaquarist.com, you would be able to share the link from salty please?
Saltyunderground.com but I think it was wikipedia's that showed the positions and stuff of them breeding honestly I have done berghias numerous times and the egg hatching and raising happens 100 percent by them self's super easy I dont even have to try to raise unlike clowns only challenge is that u cant keep up with the aptasia growing was my challenge

OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saltyunderground.com but I think it was wikipedia's that showed the positions and stuff of them breeding honestly I have done berghias numerous times and the egg hatching and raising happens 100 percent by them self's super easy I dont even have to try to raise unlike clowns only challenge is that u cant keep up with the aptasia growing was my challenge

will look at it tonight some more reading can’t harm, im aware of the aiptasia issue hence the experience to try and get them Aiptasias to spawn instead of waiting for them to split babies. All the studies that I’ve read so far strongly believe that the secret is in the substrate, am following that method.
724B9F9D-9BED-4EE8-A894-53F0B4664042.jpeg

this is my first Aiptasia grown from an egg, the idea is to play with different methods and recreate the spawning that I had a few weeks back we’re they settled in the substrate and growing well.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you collect the aiptasia eggs?

Some local guys in cambridge used to literally take a bunch of aiptasia and mash them up with a toothpick, then rinse all the pieces inti a 10g with 1" aragonite sand avs rock rubble . Airstone, no heater (but ambient was 21oC) no filter. Would occasionally feed the tank with the liquid portion of a few thawed out cubes. They could go from a dozen to dozens per rock piece in 2-3 months

This was ~15 years ago, and i think it was a few guys trying to raise berghia for neurology research (they have an easily manipulable nervous system for doing electrophysiology studies- since superceeded by other methods, but was state of the art in grad school in late '90's)

Im actually thinking of raising aips to sustain some berghia. Despite my best efforts, my 180g has 4 good sized aiptasia that came in on a feather duster. Didn't appear until after 12 weeks QT.

I just hate the idea of buying berghia only to have them starve to death in a coiple weeks

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought the eggs had to b fertilizer by the bigger berghias. Thought I read that some where

I have raised berghia before started with 5 ended up with over 200 couldn't keep up with them just started breeding since again had 8 now at probably over 20
ANy idea approximately how many aoptasia are needed to maintain a berghia? 1-2/ week? 1 a day?

Im looking to start a berghia colony but wabt to get a head start on the food supply

Tegridy Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
In the salty underground says they can go 5 to 7 days before starving out
ANy idea approximately how many aoptasia are needed to maintain a berghia? 1-2/ week? 1 a day?

Im looking to start a berghia colony but wabt to get a head start on the food supply
Salty underground say they can go 5 to seven days before starving not sure might have to look that up on that I dont know the exact answer.

OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you collect the aiptasia eggs?

Some local guys in cambridge used to literally take a bunch of aiptasia and mash them up with a toothpick, then rinse all the pieces inti a 10g with 1" aragonite sand avs rock rubble . Airstone, no heater (but ambient was 21oC) no filter. Would occasionally feed the tank with the liquid portion of a few thawed out cubes. They could go from a dozen to dozens per rock piece in 2-3 months

This was ~15 years ago, and i think it was a few guys trying to raise berghia for neurology research (they have an easily manipulable nervous system for doing electrophysiology studies- since superceeded by other methods, but was state of the art in grad school in late '90's)

Im actually thinking of raising aips to sustain some berghia. Despite my best efforts, my 180g has 4 good sized aiptasia that came in on a feather duster. Didn't appear until after 12 weeks QT.

I just hate the idea of buying berghia only to have them starve to death in a coiple weeks

I’ve collected the first eggs wend I was fragging one of the female Aiptasia she released around 30 eggs, I did left them in my little system to see what happens only took one out yesterday for observation. Am lucky enough that currently i only got aips in my weir, every now and den I do scrape a few and move them to my breeding tray, only started a few weeks ago so only got around 30/40in there, should be enough to feed these two and any babies that come from the first egg cord I bought.

Ive started inducing spawning by playing with the lunar cycle and tank temperatures will update if anything happens. My best recommendation is for you to isolate the aips you got at the moment and frag them or just let them multiply before ordering the nudis.

my set up is simple and it works for me without settings up extra tanks.

C6CE7E05-5827-46A3-BD49-2B94EA2C924B.jpeg

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got tired of waiting for the eggs to hatch and got a couple of adults today to keep me motivated.

ED1E88D2-AA80-4202-A0F2-3F227BAF1A8F.jpeg
Those look beautiful. And Hungry :)
From my experience you will see amazing results.
I keep looking into my DT for any Aptasia after my Berghia got loose in Tank. Zip Zero Ziltch!!

OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually have access to aiptasia, but need to figure out how to grow my own better. It seems that when I want them to multiply they don't and when I don't want them to multiply, they do!
Story of my life, am pretty sure some of the aips I’ve collected are dying on me :rolleyes:

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Pro's and Con's of Berghia.

LOL. I'll take the PRO's anytime.

The CON is attempting Berghia Breeding, you need Berghia Food (Lots of Aptasia)

If I wanted to start a farm a few months ago, I had hundreds of Aptasia, if not thousands.
This was the inside of my Algae Scrubber, on the screen.

AptasiainATS.jpg

When I pulled out the Screen, it was wall to wall aptasia. Grosed me out like never before. (I tossed it)
AptasiaScreeen.jpg

I should have kept that Screen.
Kept In isolation and started a Berghia Farm. (Screen would have been Perfect, since I coudl just cut up tiny squares!!!)

Then I got the 5 Berghia's and now I have no Aptasia in 110G DT, it's SUmp, or ATS.

I can't complain. I hated my DT covered in Baby Aptasia (everywhere) after Copperband Died.

Last edited:
OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Pro's and Con's of Berghia.

LOL. I'll take the PRO's anytime.

The CON is attempting Berghia Breeding, you need Berghia Food (Lots of Aptasia)

If I wanted to start a farm a few months ago, I had hundreds of Aptasia, if not thousands.
This was the inside of my Algae Scrubber, on the screen.

AptasiainATS.jpg

When I pulled out the Screen, it was wall to wall aptasia. Grosed me out like never before. (I tossed it)
AptasiaScreeen.jpg

I should have kept that Screen.
Kept In isolation and started a Berghia Farm. (Screen would have been Perfect, since I coudl just cut up tiny squares!!!)

Then I got the 5 Berghia's and now I have no Aptasia in 110G DT, it's SUmp, or ATS.

I can't complain. I hated my DT covered in Baby Aptasia (everywhere) after Copperband Died.

that looks cool how did they got in the ATS

OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive read that I should be feeding live nauplii artemia, will be giving it a go and see if it’s any good. Probably the most well feed aiptasia around :D

D8F3778D-1D91-4715-B223-23B47DE9484C.jpeg

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive read that I should be feeding live nauplii artemia, will be giving it a go and see if it’s any good. Probably the most well feed aiptasia around :D

D8F3778D-1D91-4715-B223-23B47DE9484C.jpeg
That looks like a nice brine shrimp breeder.
I have used cut pop bottles, which work but a bit more messy
What brand is that? Does it work well?

OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like a nice brine shrimp breeder.
I have used cut pop bottles, which work but a bit more messy
What brand is that? Does it work well?
Thanks, in my defence it’s only cheap and looks decent, they will be cool for other projects to wend am done with this. It will make a neat phytoplankton reactor if I change the acrylic tube for a longer one to, currently only around 300ml will see later on today if the results are good, only got it last night.

No brand, it’s similar to this one makes collecting the shrimp really easy.

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, in my defence it’s only cheap and looks decent, they will be cool for other projects to wend am done with this. It will make a neat phytoplankton reactor if I change the acrylic tube for a longer one to, currently only around 300ml will see later on today if the results are good, only got it last night.

No brand, it’s similar to this one makes collecting the shrimp really easy.

Have fun.
I assume that's an airline that goes into the bottom of the Hatchery. (Seems odd. Maybe it goes up at back and not shown in photo)
What happens if there is a power failure. Will it drain into the air pump? (If leaks into pump, electrical shock hazzard)
I wouldn't even trust a check valve if there is one, since a egg can go in and block the valve open.
I say this since few years ago, I had a airline into my son's 10 Gallon Tank. I put the pump on the floor since it was noisy on his tank table.
Power went off and 9 gallons of water drained out of tank on the floor. To this day his bedroom has a warped Hardwood floor with cracks.
So raise the airpump above the top of the breeder water level (to prevent a drain)

OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have fun.
I assume that's an airline that goes into the bottom of the Hatchery. (Seems odd. Maybe it goes up at back and not shown in photo)
What happens if there is a power failure. Will it drain into the air pump? (If leaks into pump, electrical shock hazzard)
I wouldn't even trust a check valve if there is one, since a egg can go in and block the valve open.
I say this since few years ago, I had a airline into my son's 10 Gallon Tank. I put the pump on the floor since it was noisy on his tank table.
Power went off and 9 gallons of water drained out of tank on the floor. To this day his bedroom has a warped Hardwood floor with cracks.
So raise the airpump above the top of the breeder water level (to prevent a drain)
Yeah it’s feed from the bottom, I’m like you I don’t trust this things, it comes with a check valve but I still made sure the pump is higher than the hatchery, it’s only one of them nano pumps with suction clamp, she is stuck at the back of the DT and the Hatcher is in sump. Thanks for pointing it ou as it’s very easy to overlook this things sometimes :) I hope the missus not gave you too much headache over it, mine would literally murder me if any accident goes over the new floor:oops:

OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The aips enjoyed their first meal

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 18.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 45 52.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.4%
Back