OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was feeling a bit bored so tough I’d start scrapping some nems of the weir to make feeding later more easily.

1D847AB3-E7A8-4B90-8CC2-45B9E6FC061B.jpeg

OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve turn to research the past few days, apparently there’s no way to breed Aiptasia in a closed system by spawning, Only by laceration, this is wend the anemone moves and leaves behind part of its foot. I’m now really intrigued on the why and I want to experiment with it I believe I may have stumbled in a way to get them to grow in large numbers, Hopefully if it works ( trying to recreate what I did the first time) this information could benefit the industry and breed this animal in a large scale.

OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the overall update on the Eggs? Have they hatched, or whatever berghia eggs do?
Can’t tell to be honest, the cord we’re the eggs were is empty, but can’t see any nudibranchs walking around just yet. I did put down a small aip in the container to encourage the nudis to hatch, she’s always closed but not gone yet. Just wondering if they too small for me to see, am going to give it another week before I consider it a failure :rolleyes:

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can’t tell to be honest, the cord we’re the eggs were is empty, but can’t see any nudibranchs walking around just yet. I did put down a small aip in the container to encourage the nudis to hatch, she’s always closed but not gone yet. Just wondering if they too small for me to see, am going to give it another week before I consider it a failure :rolleyes:
I got one of these for kids, and it's quite amazing to look at things close up.
Way better than the Cheap Toy Optical Microscope we have.
Has a light too.

I used it once to look at copepods.
You will be able to see if the Eggs are alive and moving.

2017-09-14_DigitalMicroScope.jpg

Cheap (about the price of One Adult Berghia)
and fun to look at all kind of things close up. Still and Full motion.

This the example.

Some Macro Algae from my Algae Scrubber (WITH Camera)

s
2017-11-05_AlgaeScrubberHarvestUpdate.jpg

With Scope.

This is a bit of zoom.
2017-09-14_HairAlgaeMicroScope.jpg

More Maginification.
2017-09-14_MacroAlageStandyMicroScope.jpg

Full Magnification.
2017-09-14_MacroAlageMicroScope.jpg

OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got one of these for kids, and it's quite amazing to look at things close up.
Way better than the Cheap Toy Optical Microscope we have.
Has a light too.

I used it once to look at copepods.
You will be able to see if the Eggs are alive and moving.

2017-09-14_DigitalMicroScope.jpg

Cheap (about the price of One Adult Berghia)
and fun to look at all kind of things close up. Still and Full motion.

This the example.

Some Macro Algae from my Algae Scrubber (WITH Camera)

s
2017-11-05_AlgaeScrubberHarvestUpdate.jpg

With Scope.

This is a bit of zoom.
2017-09-14_HairAlgaeMicroScope.jpg

More Maginification.
2017-09-14_MacroAlageStandyMicroScope.jpg

Full Magnification.
2017-09-14_MacroAlageMicroScope.jpg

Wow that's some really clear images, I think i’ll order one of those just to see what’s around

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that's some really clear images, I think i’ll order one of those just to see what’s around
If you get one....Don't do a zoom in under your finger nails.
I showed my kids, and they scrubbed their hands like never before.
:) LOL :)

Grallster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought 4 berghia years ago and literally raised them in a plastic coffee can with an air stone—no heater or anything. I fed them aiptasia and they multiplied until there was about 30 of them and I released them into my tank. IMO they’re easy to breed/raise and the limiting factor is the aiptasia supply.

OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought 4 berghia years ago and literally raised them in a plastic coffee can with an air stone—no heater or anything. I fed them aiptasia and they multiplied until there was about 30 of them and I released them into my tank. IMO they’re easy to breed/raise and the limiting factor is the aiptasia supply.

am starting with eggs as i tough it could be cheaper, it’s been 2 weeks now with no sight of baby’s so far, I may have to go and buy a few adults soon. Am currently trying to work on the aptasia side, as you mentioned they are the limiting factor for berguia breeders if we could work out how to make the larvae grow in to adults this could be beneficial for the hobby as an adult female could spawn up to 10.000 eggs per event.

27ABFF6B-8173-44C9-9EDF-C975B104C0CE.jpeg

This is my first baby from a egg, it’s only a couple days old and about one millimetre in size, my goal is to see if they can survive longer than 6 weeks in aquaria.

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
am starting with eggs as i tough it could be cheaper, it’s been 2 weeks now with no sight of baby’s so far, I may have to go and buy a few adults soon. Am currently trying to work on the aptasia side, as you mentioned they are the limiting factor for berguia breeders if we could work out how to make the larvae grow in to adults this could be beneficial for the hobby as an adult female could spawn up to 10.000 eggs per event.

This is my first baby from a egg, it’s only a couple days old and about one millimetre in size, my goal is to see if they can survive longer than 6 weeks in aquaria.
That's kind of funny.

You went from Trying to raise Berghia's to eraddicate Aptasia to breeding Aptasia.

That's a pretty good close up photo of the Aptasia.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I put 4 medium sized in my 30 gallon sump a few weeks ago and its kinda hard to find an aiptasia now. 2 of the 4 was already stuck together and most likely breeding/ laying eggs when I got them which was probably helpful.

Tegridy Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I thought the eggs had to b fertilizer by the bigger berghias. Thought I read that some where

I have raised berghia before started with 5 ended up with over 200 couldn't keep up with them just started breeding since again had 8 now at probably over 20

OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's kind of funny.

You went from Trying to raise Berghia's to eraddicate Aptasia to breeding Aptasia.

That's a pretty good close up photo of the Aptasia.
Being able to keep nudibranch alive long term always been something I wanted to do, I think that wend I got the eggs it just clicked again. So my goal has changed like you said from completely eradicate aptasia to try and be able to keep enough aptasia in the sump area to keep this guys going. There’s a guy on here that done quite a lot of scientific work on this, let me tag him and see if he can bring some input to the thread.

Last edited:
OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought the eggs had to b fertilizer by the bigger berghias. Thought I read that some where

I have raised berghia before started with 5 ended up with over 200 couldn't keep up with them just started breeding since again had 8 now at probably over 20
Am not familiar on how the berguia breed yet, I’ve been more focused on the food side of things. How many nudis did you get per cord of eggs? And do you remember how long till they visible? I’ve got the container in sump for 2/3 weeks but can’t see anything yet.

Tegridy Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Am not familiar on how the berguia breed yet, I’ve been more focused on the food side of things. How many nudis did you get per cord of eggs? And do you remember how long till they visible? I’ve got the container in sump for 2/3 weeks but can’t see anything yet.
I get alot of my information from salty under ground she has a good write up on them it's a website but found a nice article on wikipedia's I believe too

Grallster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME, there’s always a scrap of aiptasia left somewhere that starts to grow back after the berghias in the tank starve to death. It’s super important to remove/nuke them before they start multiplying.

OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get alot of my information from salty under ground she has a good write up on them it's a website but found a nice article on wikipedia's I believe too
I think ive read most information in the web including the article from advaceaquarist.com, you would be able to share the link from salty please?

OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME, there’s always a scrap of aiptasia left somewhere that starts to grow back after the berghias in the tank starve to death. It’s super important to remove/nuke them before they start multiplying.
Your probably right, I’ve never used it before to try and eradicate Aiptasias. my goal has changed since the start of the thread from eradicating Aiptasia to keep this guys as permanent pets I’ve also found a frag with some bryopsis so will cultivate some to add a few lettuce slugs to the tank we’re I intend to keep Just nudibranchs.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 42.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back