berghia nudibranch Eggs experience

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One good way to remove amphipods from rocks is a fresh water dip, 5 minutes will kill all the pods in a rock. The Aipatasia will stress for around 8 hours but won’t die, you could (if enough space in your aptasia tank) put a full rock at the time using this method.
Great idea. Fresh water is much safer and cheaper than using Revive dip.

I have a 2nd 10 Gallon I use for QT, it has room for decent sized rocks. The 2.5 can only handle small rocks for now.

So only amphipods are the bad guys. (Egg Eatters).

I was doing a closeup of a Berghia and got startled while zooming in too see this guy made into the Berghia farm.

Berghia-Meets-BristleWorm.jpg

The bristle worm was reaching towards the Berghia. It got close but it retracted and dissapeared.
Maybe the berghia's have some kind of self defence. I hope.

That's bristle worm is getting hungry since the Farm is nothing but clean water and Aiptasia.
Safe?

nickman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought I would give this thread a bump as I am beginning a Berghia farm and am looking to maximize production.

I have seen tons of egg spirals (counted 25 yesterday during a partial audit) and have spotted at least 5 adults of the initial 10 that I stocked the system with. Considering it is a 50 gal low boy with many pieces of rock, frag tiles, and egg crate that leads me to believe there are likely more.

My main issue at the moment is the presence of pods in the system. Based on this thread I will likely be moving the eggs to a separate system and moving Aiptasia over from the 50 gallon while letting the adults do their thing in a more "comfortable" environment.
IMG_5163.jpg
IMG_5168.jpg

Based on the number of baby Aiptasia in the system I have no reason to doubt the adults have released eggs/ planula. Both sponge filters are covered in baby Aiptasia which may be prove an effective production method for others. I can only assume the eggs/planula were drawn into the fine sponge from the water column helping to concentrate them on the filters. I now have 2 fully mobile feeding stations!

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great idea. Fresh water is much safer and cheaper than using Revive dip.

I have a 2nd 10 Gallon I use for QT, it has room for decent sized rocks. The 2.5 can only handle small rocks for now.

So only amphipods are the bad guys. (Egg Eatters).

I was doing a closeup of a Berghia and got startled while zooming in too see this guy made into the Berghia farm.

Berghia-Meets-BristleWorm.jpg

The bristle worm was reaching towards the Berghia. It got close but it retracted and dissapeared.
Maybe the berghia's have some kind of self defence. I hope.

That's bristle worm is getting hungry since the Farm is nothing but clean water and Aiptasia.
Safe?
zombie post that someone brought back, but yes, they eat the aphistasia and use their stinging cells for their own ends

Heisenberg 78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I wanted to challenge here, is when we say that pods eat the nudibranch eggs.. someone tell me how we end up with a large population of berghia when we’re only adding say 4 adults to the main display.

Surely they are breeding successfully in the display tanks, if we’re getting several generations of nudis to quickly deplete our aiptasia populations.?

are we sure that it’s not water quality in containers that degenerates the egg causing the pods to become the ‘cleaners’ of the decaying matter?

our display tanks certainly contain more pod life than a small artificial housing container, and more so, one than that which has accidentally transferred a pod or two?

what do you guys think..?

as it happens my first post here was well over 12 months ago, my first Bach nudis must have cleared the tank giving me a good few months relief of aiptasia ,so… guess what.. I’m back here now at the same point again trying to grow more nudis to get rid of my second infestation… this is a merry go round o_O:eek:

Donald_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
these are babies from the pair I bought, from my first eggs I messed it up bad. I’ve moved containers a few times and probably losing the babies. I had two showing up last week that we’re probably from the first online batch though, they are to big to be from the recent batch almost adult size.

A6838380-0B00-49EA-A6D0-3BB8D442BAF5.jpeg

one is at the back left and one at the centre, they have been hiding all this time
Hello im not sure if you explained your set up in a prev post .. Im looking to build a Nudi/ aiptasia farm like yours — can u please explain your complete set up. I understand how your growing the aip- also curious to see if you still have everything up and running

Donald_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pic of today after a fragment session last night most looking recovered now

E196E25B-18E5-432C-A4A2-EEC6AC7933AC.jpeg
One good way to remove amphipods from rocks is a fresh water dip, 5 minutes will kill all the pods in a rock. The Aipatasia will stress for around 8 hours but won’t die, you could (if enough space in your aptasia tank) put a full rock at the time using this method.
GREAT THREAD-:
Hello Sixty read the entire thread- can u make a post or send me a message ([email protected] )where you explain exactly step by step how to duplicate the system your using- example —-size of tank - exact carbon size- filter etc….. id like to duplicate this to
The T
TYVM

Last edited:
OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GREAT THREAD-:
Hello Sixty read the entire thread- can u make a post or send me a message where you explain exactly step by step how to duplicate the system your using- example —-size of tank - exact carbon size- filter etc….. id like to duplicate this to
The T
TYVM
Hi Donald, I don’t run the system anymore I just done it for the research and had plenty of fun doing it. I also enjoyed having free corals during the experiment as I trade the nudibranch on my local LFS. The nudibranch are fairly easy to breed as long as they have food they will multiply like rabbits the only issue you may encounter is amphipods they are your worse enemies in nudibranch breeding as they love the eggs. The Aipatasia is always the issue that many aquarists normally face as most quite often dismiss that they are still corals and although they can survive fairly harsh conditions there is a difference between surviving and thriving and to have a coral thriving we need to care for them as any other coral, that includes keeping dissolved nutrients in the water column and feeding in check. Treat your Aipatasia like you would treat a frag tank and you will be successful I often recommend folks to add fish to they’re Aipatasia tanks for that reason.

I’ve made this detailed thread that was after made into a article hope it helps and if you have any more questions don’t hesitate in asking.

Donald_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ty for responding. I read the article and I’m still unsure 100% on how to set it up..
it said a shallow 4” container ( looks like you used a Tupperware container?) with a 6”mm air stone - set up with a sump return- the last is where I got lost. Also from what I gather - u used a smaller container to house the Nudi and u kept them
Inside the api farm?

OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ty for responding. I read the article and I’m still unsure 100% on how to set it up..
it said a shallow 4” container ( looks like you used a Tupperware container?) with a 6”mm air stone - set up with a sump return- the last is where I got lost. Also from what I gather - u used a smaller container to house the Nudi and u kept them
Inside the api farm?
Yes, in my set up I had a 6mm airline from my overflow to the first Tupperware in the sump, that first Tupperware was plumed Ito a second one and then overflows into the sump itself.
I had Aipatasia in the first and nudibranch in the second one, because the first container overflow into the second container there was no risk for the nudibranch to get into the Aipatasia container and if any Aipatasia escapes the container it would only fall into the nudibranch container and get consumed there.
I can try and do you a diagram tomorrow if you like, I say shallow container in the thread as not many folks would be brave enough to have this connected to their main tank although the shallow container aids working on both systems without having to get the hands wet making the work easier also :)

Donald_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, in my set up I had a 6mm airline from my overflow to the first Tupperware in the sump, that first Tupperware was plumed Ito a second one and then overflows into the sump itself.
I had Aipatasia in the first and nudibranch in the second one, because the first container overflow into the second container there was no risk for the nudibranch to get into the Aipatasia container and if any Aipatasia escapes the container it would only fall into the nudibranch container and get consumed there.
I can try and do you a diagram tomorrow if you like, I say shallow container in the thread as not many folks would be brave enough to have this connected to their main tank although the shallow container aids working on both systems without having to get the hands wet making the work easier also :)
Thanks again for helping me get everything going before I find some Nudi. A diagram would be Very helpful

OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more idea -I have a 20g frag tank not in use - would this be ideal or overkill??
If you intend to grow them in large numbers a 20 gallon frag tank would give plenty of aips, from my little 5 litres container I was feeding fairly easily 50 nudibranch a month more or less.

Donald_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you intend to grow them in large numbers a 20 gallon frag tank would give plenty of aips, from my little 5 litres container I was feeding fairly easily 50 nudibranch a month more or less.
Ok so the 20g would be ideal and that would take care of all the circulation/ filtration I’d need -
Looking forward to your diagram to help me understand how to 100% set your system up. Then I’ll use one or the other

OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so the 20g would be ideal and that would take care of all the circulation/ filtration I’d need -
Looking forward to your diagram to help me understand how to 100% set your system up. Then I’ll use one or the other
Will be doing it today, just out with the family

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Enjoy the family time and Happy new year!!! No hurry - I really appreciate u helping me
Happy new year!
I just started breeding this slugs myself, first eggs hatched a couple of days ago.
I'm breeding the and aiptasia in complete seperate tanks.
I might start a thread too on this, and maybe you should join in? The more experience, ups and downs, we encounter the more info we can provide for any future breeders

Donald_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy new year!
I just started breeding this slugs myself, first eggs hatched a couple of days ago.
I'm breeding the and aiptasia in complete seperate tanks.
I might start a thread too on this, and maybe you should join in? The more experience, ups and downs, we encounter the more info we can provide for any future breeders
HNY !! What are you using for your set up? I’ll chart my journey once I get the api tank set up

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HNY !! What are you using for your set up? I’ll chart my journey once I get the api tank set up
I started an aiptasia tank in a ~4 gl plastic box, and 5 nudis in ~1 gl acrylic box.
I recently converted my ~ 10gl pod culture to aiptasia tank also.
They lay eggs constantly the first few days, so have had 12 visible clusters in total.

OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Enjoy the family time and Happy new year!!! No hurry - I really appreciate u helping me
2817085B-343F-432C-A0BF-231920993A85.jpeg

Happy new year, found this diagram on the original thread.
If I was to do it again I would replace the tubing for 16mm from the first container onwards

E3814828-E322-440D-BFFF-75467DAB54AC.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 134 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back