Best Algae Eater for Nano

Kamden Uelton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend snails and hermits for algae, However... Tangs, Blennies, Gobys, and many other fish will eat algae. (you could only keep a Blenny or a Goby in a 30g)

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lawnmower Blenny might get a bit large for that system. Maybe a Tail Spot Blenny, trochus and astrea snails, or a tuxedo/pincushion urchin.

crayon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my 30 I rely on snails, emerald crabs and urchins to eat the algae. Small fish just don’t do it. I kept a lawnmower blenny as well as a tail spot blenny and gobies and they just weren’t interested in algae.
A 30 is too small for a tang, so although it’s the best choice, the tang won’t do well. They will outgrow the tank too quickly.

OP
OP
C

CarChase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah unfortunately the tank is to small for a tang. I currently have a fire fish and a percula clown fish. I was thinking a bicolor blenny may be a good choice but I’m not sure if he would mix well with the fire fish.

kY_Wildcat23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 29 gallon biocube that I have 2 emerald crabs, 2 hermits, 3 Trochus snails, 1 Astrea Snail, 1 Nassarius and they keep the tank clean. I used to have a Lawnmower Blenny, who was awesome at getting rid of algae as well.

Surfandturf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for all the suggestions.
Try a sea hare. I used one in my 30 gal and it worked out better than adding chemicals. When he finished cleaning the algae, I gave him to a friend and bout 10 more hermits to keep the algae from growing as much.

Somuchflo99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The conch works wonders in my tank with a couple large zebra snails two peppermint shrimp hermits and one emerald crab

malacoda

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my 30 I rely on snails, emerald crabs and urchins to eat the algae. Small fish just don’t do it. I kept a lawnmower blenny as well as a tail spot blenny and gobies and they just weren’t interested in algae.
A 30 is too small for a tang, so although it’s the best choice, the tang won’t do well. They will outgrow the tank too quickly.

+1

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 9.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 45 34.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 41 31.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back