Best algae scrubber/remover for acrylic???

Mike O

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just like the title says, what’s the best algae scrubber/scraper/remover for an acrylic tank?

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a valuable question. I’ve always been frightened off by acrylic tanks. I figured ‘one small grain of sand’ under the scraper, and it’s all over. Scratch city. And yet some of the largest/most expensive tanks in the world are probable acrylic, so there has to be a good answer...

Iván Olalla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i use an old credit card attached to a scrapper, the plastic is softer than the acrylic so less chance of getting a scratch...i use that for coralline...for film algae i use a modded cleaner in which i replaced the velcro for microfiber cloth, works like a charm

Skynyrd Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the cover of a dobi pad on my magnet cleaner. Some say it micro scratches the tank but mine tank looks great after 19 years up and running.

lagatbezan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used magfloat and flipper in the past but the best one bar far is mighty magnet with their algae scrubber, specially for larger tanks. Best investment I ever made for cleaning the acrylic. It works amazing and worth every penny.
Magic eraser works great as well. Make sure you get the original one without any chemicals.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends a lot on the wall thickness. My acrylic tank has 1” sides, so most magnet cleaners aren’t strong enough. I went with mighty magnets. One that will work on thicker walls isn’t cheap, and I’ve no idea if they are the best - only that I have been very pleased with it and have had no reason to regret the purchase.

Back