Best "beginner" Acropora

Elle22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I am relatively new to reefing, and my tank has been set up for over six months. So far I have had good success with a variety of corals, and my tank has been stable in terms of parameters for months now.

I am looking to get into acropora now. And by beginner, I mean ones that people have had the most success with and have known success in newer tanks. I know that acros are very sensitive, but by beginner, I also mean that they can handle minor swings as I adjust to caring for them.

I know for acros that I will be getting aquacultured frags that are over an inch long, as they have the best longevity and "wild" acros struggle to adjust to tanks.

Thank you!

pugcrush

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^^ +1; purple milka stylophora is also really nice

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've personally found the birdsnest, stylo, cliffs acropora, and many stag/slimer to be very hardy.

tautog83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you want an easy acropora the green slimer probably the easiest along with a tricolor . If ya just want some sps , stylophora , pocillipora or birdsneat good choice

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I am relatively new to reefing, and my tank has been set up for over six months. So far I have had good success with a variety of corals, and my tank has been stable in terms of parameters for months now.

I am looking to get into acropora now. And by beginner, I mean ones that people have had the most success with and have known success in newer tanks. I know that acros are very sensitive, but by beginner, I also mean that they can handle minor swings as I adjust to caring for them.

I know for acros that I will be getting aquacultured frags that are over an inch long, as they have the best longevity and "wild" acros struggle to adjust to tanks.

Thank you!

Captive grown acros from WWC or Battle Corals or another grower that grows their own corals. Captive grown means they have been acclimated to captivity and proven to not only survive but thrive in a aquarium. Stay away from mariecultkred corals, they are wild caught and grown out in pools in or next to the ocean with natural sea water. Any coral you can get from a friend or club member is also a plus, they have the same characteristics because they have grown now in their systems enough to be captive grown.

Pmj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Captive grown acros from WWC or Battle Corals or another grower that grows their own corals. Captive grown means they have been acclimated to captivity and proven to not only survive but thrive in a aquarium. Stay away from mariecultkred corals, they are wild caught and grown out in pools in or next to the ocean with natural sea water. Any coral you can get from a friend or club member is also a plus, they have the same characteristics because they have grown now in their systems enough to be captive grown.

Was going to say the same. I'm still fairly new at SPS but all of my stuff from WWC and BC has all done great with visible growth while other stuff from local places has not. I don't even have low nutrients or a doser, using kalk at the moment and testing alk every day or so.

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was going to say the same. I'm still fairly new at SPS but all of my stuff from WWC and BC has all done great with visible growth while other stuff from local places has not. I don't even have low nutrients or a doser, using kalk at the moment and testing alk every day or so.

Kalk is the perfect thing for you! Keep it up, Kalk will keep you stable and pH up. Kalk is underrated and people whom say your system will out grow it are wrong. Though some day it may, I am sure you are still far off from that day. Unless you already have a display that is full of large colonies covering your rocks.

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kalk is the perfect thing for you! Keep it up, Kalk will keep you stable and pH up. Kalk is underrated and people whom say your system will out grow it are wrong. Though some day it may, I am sure you are still far off from that day. Unless you already have a display that is full of large colonies covering your rocks.
I agree, I have not yet had to do anything but use kalk, and my overall system is 400 gallons.

OP
OP
Elle22

Elle22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for all of the suggestions. May I ask what kalk is? It has not been recommended to me before, and I have not heard about it previously.

vanpire

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to add that virtually all of the ORA corals are pretty good for beginners. They are readily available, have good colors and grow moderately to fairly quickly.

I will also add that a pink lemonade is a great beginner coral because it is almost indestructible. At least, it was for me. It had survived two tank moves, accidental and multiple alk spikes and a home remodel (where I lost 90% of all my other corals). It just grows very slowly.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 42 58.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 20 27.8%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.9%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.8%
Back