Best Bottom Feeder - Advice Please

  • Thread starter Thread starter RaymondL
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

RaymondL

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 3, 2022
Messages
989
Reaction score
354
Location
Miami
What state or country do you live in
Kansas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is cycled and into week 7 - I only have 2 clowns in there at the moment and some macro dry rock and Caribsea 'special grade' aragonite as the substrate.

I"m feeding the clowns pellets and Mysis frozen shrimp - clowns don't scour the substrate for food that have fallen, especially the pellets.

Could I please have some recommendations on the best possible bottom type dweller invert or even a fish to add that'll roam the substrate for the pellets/frozen shrimp that made its way to the substrate?

Thank you
 
Thanks everyone! I'll go tomorrow and pick up them snails as a start, and as well maybe a hermit to make things extra interesting. Are all hermits reef safe, and is there a particular one that is better for the purpose of a 'bottom cleaner' of leftover food?
 
Thanks everyone! I'll go tomorrow and pick up them snails as a start, and as well maybe a hermit to make things extra interesting. Are all hermits reef safe, and is there a particular one that is better for the purpose of a 'bottom cleaner' of leftover food?
Uh, no hermit crabs. They will kill your snails for their shells.
 
I never use pellet for that reason. flakes or frozen food will float long enough to be caught.
 
Agree with nassarius snails for best cleaning bottom dweller. But my vote goes for blue spot jawfish since it's the coolest bottom dweller. Just make sure have a lid if you get one because these guys jump.
 

Attachments

  • PXL_20220918_220727409.jpg
    PXL_20220918_220727409.jpg
    225.8 KB · Views: 818
Agree with nassarius snails for best cleaning bottom dweller. But my vote goes for blue spot jawfish since it's the coolest bottom dweller. Just make sure have a lid if you get one because these guys jump.
Joke? Your photo is not a jawfish...
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 7.1%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 7.1%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new