Best centerpiece fish for custom 125g tank?

What should be a suitable centerpiece fish for a 125?

• Purple Tang

Votes: 25 23.1%
  • Yellow Tang

Votes: 12 11.1%
  • Scopas Tang

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • Yellow Pyramid Butterfly

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • Lemonpeel Mimic Tang

Votes: 3 2.8%
  • Spot Breast Angelfish (Female)

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Watanabei Angelfish (Female)

Votes: 9 8.3%
  • Bellus Angelfish (Female)

• Cream Angelfish

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Foxface Lo / One Spot

Votes: 8 7.4%
  • Lamarck’s Angelfish (Female)

Votes: 3 2.8%
  • Tomini / Kole Tang

• Roaps Butterfly (Burgess, Tinker’s etc.)

Votes: 9 8.3%
  • Copperband Butterfly

Votes: 24 22.2%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 17 15.7%
  • Harlequin Tusk (?)

Votes: 15 13.9%

• Total voters

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regal angel does not grow very fast. My pair are about 2.5 inches after 4 years. Slightly larger than my maximum size male Flame angel. They started out at 1 inch. The Flame Angels grew quickly. Only recently the Regal surpass the Flame angel size. I am sure the Regal will continue to grow but from experiences, they take a long, long time to grow to 4-5 inches.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Swimmers, hardy, tons of personality. Currently I have 5 beautiful triggers in my reef tank.
20210102_125001.jpg
HD - mind blown!! What size tank is that? You are challenging my conception of reef compatibility and size. Do you have a stock list of your inhabitants? I always thought Triggers needed the monster 300 gallon reefs. Wouldn't 125 be too small?

Last edited:

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty much what you're happy with. Everyone has their own opinion. Mine is a pair of Lamarks. Male and female.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HD - mind blown!! What size tank is that? You are challenging my conception of reef compatibility and size. Do you have a stock list of your inhabitants? I always thought Triggers needed the monster 300 gallon reefs. Wouldn't 125 be too small?
92g Cadlights. I have a ton of rocks so they have lots of caves and caverns to retreat to. Some of the fish have stopped growing so its tim to start the new tank planning. Do to space constraints the biggest i can go is 187g, 60/30/24" or more likely a 60/30/30 which takes it to 233g.
My current and maxed out stock list is
Clown Trigger
Assasi trigger
Blueline trigger
Niger trigger
Pinktail trigger
Gold stripe maroon clown
Tomato clown
Yellow tang
Purple tang
Hippo tang
Ugly brown damsel
Bicolor Blenny
Harlequin Tusk

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Outerbank’s Regal have been in his tank for quite a few years and only about 4-5 inches or so when I saw it a few months ago.

Cramsey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest a pair of Crosshatch triggers. Amazing personality and just overall fun to watch. I have a pair of Blue Jaws in my mixed reef. I was skeptical at first but super glad I took the plunge. Start as small as you can get them tho.... like 1” to 1 1/2”

OP
OP
Zionas

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I think he’s had it for 11 years. Not sure how big his tank is. His Ocellaris pair is 28 I think. Really awesome seeing the ages of some of his fish. I will ask him more about his Regal.

Just to clarify you said for most of the smaller Acanthurus and Foxface 7.5-8” is about as big as they grow?

Cramsey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahhh okay how long have you had yours and how big are they? Is starting small more because of how big they can get or something else?
I’ve had mine for about 6 months. Start them small because that it greatly reduces the slight risk of them nipping corals and inverts. I also like watching them grow and gain their personality’s. I have a full cleanup crew from stars to a nudibranch and now issues. Actually my Tomini tang is the boss of the tank lol for now

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I think he’s had it for 11 years. Not sure how big his tank is. His Ocellaris pair is 28 I think. Really awesome seeing the ages of some of his fish. I will ask him more about his Regal.

Just to clarify you said for most of the smaller Acanthurus and Foxface 7.5-8” is about as big as they grow?
My PBT is about 7.5-8 inches (4-5 years). I tape a 3X5 card in the front of the tank and use this to estimate the size of my fish today so this number is accurate. Regal 3 inches after 3 years. My previous Regal angel about 4 inches after 7 years. One spot Foxface was about 8 inches after 7 years

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
92g Cadlights. I have a ton of rocks so they have lots of caves and caverns to retreat to. Some of the fish have stopped growing so its tim to start the new tank planning. Do to space constraints the biggest i can go is 187g, 60/30/24" or more likely a 60/30/30 which takes it to 233g.
Clown Trigger
Assasi trigger
Blueline trigger
Niger trigger
Pinktail trigger
Gold stripe maroon clown
Tomato clown
Yellow tang
Purple tang
Hippo tang
Ugly brown damsel
Bicolor Blenny
Harlequin Tusk
Wow - you have opened a door for consideration that I had not dared go through.... mind blown

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow - you have opened a door for consideration that I had not dared go through.... mind blown
Obviously I have a trigger addiction. If you have any questions on keeping triggers in a reef tank, how to have them coexist, etc.... feel free to pm me. See ya AL

U

User1

View Badges
Clown Trigger
Assasi trigger
Blueline trigger
Niger trigger
Pinktail trigger
Gold stripe maroon clown
Tomato clown
Yellow tang
Purple tang
Hippo tang
Ugly brown damsel
Bicolor Blenny
Harlequin Tusk

I have to say out of your tank choices I am biased towards the 60/30/30 since I'm 54/30/30 :D The 30" of height and depth is going to allow a lot of creative rock work and coral placement. Only thing I would recommend and I am sure already have is consider the stand height and your overall health today and tomorrow.

Only reason why I mention health is because when I designed my system I didn't factor in a hip replacement :D Young age but it happened and now ladder work isn't recommended and it has been a challenge ever since to add, rearrange, etc. Of course now I could probably extend the stand and add a sump higher along side but again I didn't factor that nugget in there :D

Nice selection of fish by the way.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Obviously I have a trigger addiction. If you have any questions on keeping triggers in a reef tank, how to have them coexist, etc.... feel free to pm me. See ya AL
Many thanks! I will take you up on that. I'm not so sure if my tank has enough aggressive mates to go that route yet but I need to evaluate. The only aggressive fish in my tank is an Occellaris female named Glub. She is about 3" and she bullies my Yellow Tang, Hippo Tang and well everything else. My other clowns are chill. Maybe if I got the smallest trigger my LFS could find, I'd have a fighting chance. :)
I Hope Friendship GIF by Hallmark Channel

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to say out of your tank choices I am biased towards the 60/30/30 since I'm 54/30/30 :D The 30" of height and depth is going to allow a lot of creative rock work and coral placement. Only thing I would recommend and I am sure already have is consider the stand height and your overall health today and tomorrow.

Only reason why I mention health is because when I designed my system I didn't factor in a hip replacement :D Young age but it happened and now ladder work isn't recommended and it has been a challenge ever since to add, rearrange, etc. Of course now I could probably extend the stand and add a sump higher along side but again I didn't factor that nugget in there :D

Nice selection of fish by the way.
Ya was already thinking of having the stand atleast 6 inches lower.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many thanks! I will take you up on that. I'm not so sure if my tank has enough aggressive mates to go that route yet but I need to evaluate. The only aggressive fish in my tank is an Occellaris female named Glub. She is about 3" and she bullies my Yellow Tang, Hippo Tang and well everything else. My other clowns are chill. Maybe if I got the smallest trigger my LFS could find, I'd have a fighting chance. :)
I Hope Friendship GIF by Hallmark Channel
I dont see an issue adding a trigger to your current livestock. There's only one rule i have when keeping triggers, never ever put a QUEEN trigger in a tank that has other fish unless you want them all dead.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 71 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.1%
Back