Best coral and fish stores in Canada

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another vote for New Dawn. I'm local as well and pretty excited to see their store front. I had good luck with JL Aquatics for fish. On another note, anyone know where to get ocean live rock in Canada? I really want to add some but it seems I might have to get it shipped to the border and go pick it up myself...
Check the local Edmonton reefing facebook group. I picked up 200 lbs @ 1$/lb a year and a half ago. People are always breaking down their tanks for various reasons, and I've made the ten-hour roundtrip drive on a number of occasions just to pick up more LR.

Matt1997

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
0   0   1
I’ve had good luck with fish from Newmarket big als location .
Barrie has been terrible since Covid

there used to be many selling frags on Facebook groups .
Newmarket big Als is my hometown big als

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Big als has went down hill in the last few years.
only 1 I have been to in years that actually carry nice livestock along with personable and knowledgeable staff .
The other problem with Big AL's is that they will stop carrying products and leave you in the cold. When it comes to food chemicals I use Amazon

MarcosTacos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally have ordered from candy corals and everything was in good shape. The size of the frags was normal by today's standards, but I would prefer to get some bigger pieces. The prices were allright but that's only because I ordered during a sale.

I'm currently looking around for a new store to try out, preferably with an online inventory lol.

I also agree on the facebook groups, the best deals are from other local reefers.

MarkTOcoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious about what fellow Canadians consider the best coral and fish stores in Canada?
Why?
Online?
Local?

So far, mine would have to be FragBox, online for me, great delivery and packaging. I've only ordered inverts from them so far, but I can just imagine the fish delivery will be the same.

edit, not liking FragBox anymore lol
actually its horrible, I had to take out a magnifying glass to see the frags that I ordered and that was almost 200$ worth of dots on a rock

Sharkattackmack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got to give a shout out for New Dawn Aquaculture in Edmonton. Nice variety of corals and he shipped so daily using FedEx right to your door. Shipping is the cheapest I've seen anywhere. Plus he'll ship dry goods along with your livestock.
I'm in Calgary but was working up in Edmonton last week. I took a drive over to New Dawn and was very impressed. Super clean store, owner is knowledgeable and doesn't mind hanging out to talk about fish/corals. His fish all look super healthy and frags were all a very nice size. I definitely would never hesitate ordering from him.

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in Calgary but was working up in Edmonton last week. I took a drive over to New Dawn and was very impressed. Super clean store, owner is knowledgeable and doesn't mind hanging out to talk about fish/corals. His fish all look super healthy and frags were all a very nice size. I definitely would never hesitate ordering from him.
Yeah man, Mitchel is a great business owner and knows his stuff. I believe all his fish are from Biota and I've spent a lot of time on the phone asking questions and he never rushes me to hang up. Hes also I believe the cheapest shipping I've seen too for overnight. All my corals and fish are from NDA and never had a single issue with any product from him.

Mechano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kitchener Big Als and Candy Corals all the way. But I collect acanthophyllia and cynarina mostly now and they seem to have the best selection

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Candy corals in Mississauga is ok. but don't take much responsibility on live stock. You have to watch what they give you as well recent fish issue. Coral reef shop in Burlington very nice small shop. again no responsibility for issues. So as for both better know what you are doing, although will offer advise if correct question asked

Mechano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another store that is pretty nice is reef paradise in North York. Finally made our way out there to check it out.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back